Exactly the same thing happened to me... I'm in Toronto and I don't think it was opened by Canada Customs because the second tape was exactly on top of the old tape.

I ordered my PP on Oct. 17.. shipping date for backordered phones, I was told by DR was Nov. 4 but I received mine on October 30th. So definitely an open box!!! But it was hard to resist as I waited weeks before I could even order it.

That's great.
    Did you set it up? Start to use it?
    11-05-14 08:50 PM
    No way if the phone was refurbished it cannot be sold as new, and is illegal to do so! End of story.The only explanation is someone may of opened the box to update the OS, before shipping.
    11-05-14 09:02 PM
    No way if the phone was refurbished it cannot be sold as new, and is illegal to do so! End of story.The only explanation is someone may of opened the box to update the OS, before shipping.
    I certainly do not think that a box was opened just to update the software version...the start up process of a new device covers this by looking for updates.

Any box with a tampered factory seal purchased as new should be returned. Yes is it s a PITA but something has happened that caused this event and there is no way to verify or prove that it is an non tampered factory direct device. Customs would leave a verification anything else leads to unknowns and suspicions of a refurb being in your hands.

All this being said there is likely nothing wrong and the device will function as promised. Warranty would still be in effect and buyer protection intact.

Me, I just like to have the non tampered factory seal on the box...why borrow trouble and incur the stress interest payments?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-05-14 09:12 PM
    When I was hunting for a Passport I took the chance that the only one I could find at the closest Bell store was not a demo unit I asked the clerk to hold it for me. When I arrived at the store to my great relief the clerk broke the seals in front of me so it was a "fresh" unit not one that was passed around. Lol

Loving my Passport!
    11-05-14 09:36 PM
    I certainly do not think that a box was opened just to update the software version...the start up process of a new device covers this by looking for updates.

Any box with a tampered factory seal purchased as new should be returned. Yes is it s a PITA but something has happened that caused this event and there is no way to verify or prove that it is an non tampered factory direct device. Customs would leave a verification anything else leads to unknowns and suspicions of a refurb being in your hands.

All this being said there is likely nothing wrong and the device will function as promised. Warranty would still be in effect and buyer protection intact.

Me, I just like to have the non tampered factory seal on the box...why borrow trouble and incur the stress interest payments?
    Guys guys

BlackBerry opens the box to update the OS and seals them with their own seal to certify that it's new.

The proof: look on the side of the box. There is a sticker... note the OS. That's the OS that is installed. Then remove that sticker. You'll notice another sticker with the previous OS.

It's illegal to sell refurbished or opened boxes as new. They can get in serious trouble for this.

PS: I bought two Z30 and both had double seals with one broken. To me, it's new when the plastic protectors are still on the device.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 09:49 PM
    Guys guys

BlackBerry opens the box to update the OS and seals them with their own seal to certify that it's new.

The proof: look on the side of the box. There is a sticker... note the OS. That's the OS that is installed. Then remove that sticker. You'll notice another sticker with the previous OS.

It's illegal to sell refurbished or opened boxes as new. They can get in serious trouble for this.

PS: I bought two Z30 and both had double seals with one broken. To me, it's new when the plastic protectors are still on the device.

Posted via CB10
    Think of the logistics and labour costs for this...I would certainly hope that BBRY was not wasting time and effort to pull devices off the delivery stream to individually and manually update each and every device?

We are less than 2 months from the original firmware...no way they are doing this. There is a reason the software looks for new updates on the first setup, ALL electronic device manufactures do this because it would be cost prohibitive to do otherwise.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-05-14 10:15 PM
    Think of the logistics and labour costs for this...I would certainly hope that BBRY was not wasting time and effort to pull devices off the delivery stream to individually and manually update each and every device?

We are less than 2 months from the original firmware...no way they are doing this. There is a reason the software looks for new updates on the first setup, ALL electronic device manufactures do this because it would be cost prohibitive to do otherwise.
    Yeah, it's very very unlikely that BlackBerry updates anything after the device has been boxed. You have to keep in mind that in a well managed channel you will not have items that have been boxed for too long, so the likelihood of delivering a product with extremely old firmware is pretty low. Most likely they will be boxed, sold and turned on within a few revisions.

There are many patents out there dedicated to solving this issue (charging devices and updating firmware while boxed and in retailer shelves). I can assure you no company devotes a human being to open a packaged product and go through the slow process of updating it.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-05-14 10:39 PM
    To the OP, was there any hardware issues with the device? I doubt that shopblackberry is reselling returned defective devices. Not sure about the software update claim and with the Passport so new, it's still out of the box running 10.3... I guess I'll take a look at the Z10 and Z30 I have coming to see if there is a sticker showing it was opened for a software update. Seems odd, but who am I to know. Just wondering if your Passport appears to have any defects? I personally wouldn't think too much of this if the device is fine. I couldn't tell you if my Passport box was opened and resealed because I ripped it open as soon as I got it!

I may be purchasing another Passport later this month depending on AT&T and shopblackberry has given me no reason to not order from them. I have actually had excellent customer service as well. I received a partial refund for my Passport and for the Z10/Z30 ordered over the weekend, I called and made sure it would ship Monday as the Z10 went out of stock. The rep was kind and received a shipment notification shortly after she checked that I wasn't backordered (around 20 left when I ordered). All in all shopblackberry has been good to me. Hope you are enjoying your Passport! I wouldn't worry about it if the device is fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 12:24 AM
    I did open mine and I'm using it... no issues with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 06:39 AM
    Yeah, it's very very unlikely that BlackBerry updates anything after the device has been boxed. You have to keep in mind that in a well managed channel you will not have items that have been boxed for too long, so the likelihood of delivering a product with extremely old firmware is pretty low. Most likely they will be boxed, sold and turned on within a few revisions.

There are many patents out there dedicated to solving this issue (charging devices and updating firmware while boxed and in retailer shelves). I can assure you no company devotes a human being to open a packaged product and go through the slow process of updating it.

Posted via CB10
    So they opened his box just for the heck of opening the box?

I think that there were maybe a few passport left from the original batch (let say 10 or 50), and they probably just opened, put in the new OS and resealed them. Common practice

I bought 2 Z30s from Shop Blackberry, and both were opened and resealed. Both had two stickers on them... 10.2.1 Bundle 3175 on top and underneath that sticker, 10.2.0 Bundle 1803.

So they are known to open and update their OS.

Besides, it takes 10 seconds, use a knife, open box, plug the phone in. Everything else is probably done remotely.
    undone likes this.
    11-06-14 07:46 AM
    I had the same. At the boarder they open the package to check it and then close it with new tape. It looks used but it's not.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    11-06-14 07:56 AM
    Was the first seal broken?...I've seen a few boxes with double seals...NOT refurbs
    11-06-14 03:06 PM
    As others have said - the box has been opened and re-sealed, but the phone will definitely be new.

As a brand new product to market, this could have occurred for many reasons. Last minute changes to promotional material. A last minute change to QC process. A new firmware update or radio stack prior to dispatch.

I would suggest the latter. For the record, we ordered a batch of 20 devices and all were as you described. I suggest BlackBerry simply opened the boxes and updated firmware prior to dispatch. Future editions would be unlikely to have broken seals. It can happy to early adopters and BlackBerry don't have the cash to throw away thousands of perfectly good boxes.
    11-06-14 06:49 PM
    Shopblackberry up to tricks. Artfully concealing opened box
    11-06-14 08:50 PM
    I had the same thing. Ordered mine via Vodafone UK. Dubious at first, however phone and film were in great shape.

5 days in, no issues at all.
    11-07-14 03:44 AM
    Hard to believe there are refurbished Passports available yet, and if it were, it should have a refurbished sticker on it. However, if it is refurbished, from my experience it's at least as good as factory fresh. Typically better, always hand inspected, and rare to develop a defect.

I can dig the "I want and paid for brand new", but sincerely doubt you have any real cause for concern.
    GeoK likes this.
    11-07-14 10:03 AM
    I ordered returned unit that stated it was like new from amazon last saturday, been using it since Wednesday. Was never even turned on, so I saved 50 because the box had a dented corner.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:24 PM
    sachesi tells me that mine was never refurbished

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:43 PM
    Oh, you bought that one.
    I was wondering about it.

I ordered returned unit that stated it was like new from amazon last saturday, been using it since Wednesday. Was never even turned on, so I saved 50 because the box had a dented corner.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 04:36 PM
44 12