I am a long term Passport user (got in in October) and it has been serving me well as my daily phone. I am starting to think it is more like a PC than a phone.

A month ago, one evening, I found that it wasn't charging all the way full. It was around 45%. I noticed that it was warm. Going through the device manager, I was StandBy and CPU taking all the battery life. I got the dreaded high CPU utilization issue.

I went through the forum and read about various fixes:
    - Removed potentially troublesome apps
    - Removed potentially problematic email accounts*
    - Soft reboot (normal), hard reboot (volume buttons pressed).
    - Cleaned up SD card content

*Didn't remove the work or main email accounts (Gmail/Hotmail). Just my smaller less used ones.

For most cases, it would solve it for a few days, but will come back when I start using Android apps heavily. High CPU utilization when nothing is running (device manager will show high CPU/Battery for System/Standby).
    Actually, android apps (all of them) would STOP working sometimes. It would take a reboot (soft is good enough) to get them working again.

At first I thought the android runtime somehow got corrupted, however I just recently upgraded to 10.3.1 and it still happens (less frequently). I believe the Android runtime has been upgraded. Given the faster reboot speed, I just do that when it gets weird. I just don't like to be low on battery life (miss the 1 day+ battery life). With all the reboots, my Passport is really reminding me of a PC.

Interesting note, the Android runtime itself isn't causing the high CPU/battery usage... it is System/Standby.

I am in no mood to totally start fresh though it maybe something I should consider if it gets worse. Any suggestions? I thought I would ask the community. If I find a cure, I will post it. Thanks for reading this far.
    03-23-15 03:55 PM
    Like my Windows PC (of course I haven't done a fresh install of Windows 8 in the year I've had this PC)... a clean install is a good thing for BB10 every now and then. Especially if you have done a few updates that might have introduced a buy or two.... and sadly it is sometimes best to not do a restore - or at the least to limit it.
    03-23-15 04:00 PM
    Yeah, the sad part is my old iPhone 4 (yes the original) is still ticking with almost no reboot for years. But hey, my Passport has much more character than that.

I didn't do a restore at all. I just upgraded in place (OEM to 10.3.1) and didn't use any leaks. Oh well...
    hgwn88 likes this.
    03-23-15 04:16 PM
    Maybe security wipe would help you,remember backup before do it.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 05:49 PM
    I would discard there is an android app running in the background and draining your battery.
    I use Ghost Commander to launch the android settings. From there you can see if there is an app running. In my case was a game (magnetic balls...)
    Once I deleted that app, my battery went back to stellar.

My Passport is like a PC (High System/Standby resource usage issue)-img_20150323_190034.png

Posted via CB10
    DueNorthBB likes this.
    03-23-15 06:01 PM
    If you security wipe, then load a fresh install of BlackBerry 10, back up just the PIM content and not the application data portion. Then, you can restore just that PIM data and not the application data, obviously... It's a lot faster backup / restore time.

I personally try not to load very many Android apps, thankfully I don't actually 'need' any. I do have a few loaded, but I primarily use my BlackBerry 10's core OS apps and I am very lucky this way, because I experience literally no issues with my BlackBerry's. That said, perhaps there are some Android apps you can do without, or maybe you totally need them.

Anyways, good luck.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:26 PM
    It turns out to be Kindle. I had the problem before the 10.3.1 OS update so it isn't about the update.

There is something about Kindle which seems to cause problems. I stopped all services via Ghost Commander, but it would restart. When it restarts, it seems to "get stuck" and cause the CPU level to go up. I guess it checks Amazon every so often and when it does, this issue can happen.

I will wait a bit before loading back Kindle.
    03-26-15 11:14 AM
    I have the same issue but the only "Ghost Commander" I can find on Amazon or Google Play is "Ghost Commander File Manager." Where is the app that can analyze Android Apps?
    01-22-16 11:15 AM