Does anyone know if this is a wide spread issue or if it's just a few of us? It makes me a little concerned about the overall build quality as I also had the screen lifting off (that I could fix with superglue though).

Posted via CB10
    07-30-16 06:56 AM
    I had a similar issue but can't remember how I resolved it. It wasn't a hardware issue, more of a software issue.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    07-31-16 05:24 AM
    I have the same problem today for the first time. Now I try to reboot. I let you know if it solves the problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 03:42 PM
    Follow up...I just rebooted and the keyboard lights up again. Problem solved!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 04:16 PM
    The Passport is my first Blackberry since the 9800. On thing that happened to all of those past Blackberrys is the cursor button stopped working. Hopefully, the keyboard isn't the new cursor button.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 08:11 PM
    Good for u, you saved the bettery

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 06:36 PM
    i ve been having this problem for a long time now, rebooted many times, reloaded the OS many times, nothing seem to have a fix for it. someone please help me here......
    09-14-16 12:19 AM
    Same problem. How can we fix it!!!
    09-14-16 12:21 AM
    I can't speak for everyone but in my case the problem was temporarily fixed by disassembling my Passport and reseating the Ambient Light Sensor. However, that lasted about half a year, now the issue comes creeping back, but slowly (happens about once a week vs. 8 times a day before the reseating).
    Others had their sensor exchanged completely. I don't know whether the sensor in these cases was actually faulty, or rather the inherent reseating from mounting the new part was the actual fix. Anyway, this is no software issue for sure, at least not purely.
    In my imagination, the sensor drops out for a fraction of a second which makes the OS think the sensor is gone, causing its output to no longer be evaluated. Triggers for dropping out are various, in my case for example, the sensor reproducibly failed when I wiped the glass front "face down" firmly against my clothing to clean it. Maybe that produces a static charge that disturbed the sensor, maybe it was the overload of information flooding the CPU because wiping the entire front means that all sensors are firing somewhat, including ambient light, proximity, multi-touch display, keyboard touch sensor, sometimes even keys being pressed in addition.
    There is no way to re-initialize the sensor in the OS once it failed, besides rebooting. Once the problem occurs, it is always the same:

• The display won't switch off when you have the handset near you while having a phone call (so the touch screen stays enabled as well which causes lots of accidental mishap)
    • brightness is way too high, no matter what level you set it
    • brightness no longer adjusts to ambient light
    • keyboard backlight does not turn on in dark environments
    • sensor benchmarks such as BBVE or SensMark indicate the proximity and ambient light sensors do not measure anything or are unavailable

If the OS exposes a method to restart just a given sensor, an app would be the ideal way out. But it is likely that the sensor "driver" is buried so deeply in the OS that an app won't reach this level. It's beyond my skills to find that out exactly.
    So we are stuck with rebooting, paying service to at least reseat, maybe better change, the sensor PCB, or doing this ourselves (those who dare)...

Here's a cool video illustrating what you need to do to clean the sensor which may get it back working:
    Last edited by JoeMuc2012; 09-15-16 at 08:16 AM.
    09-14-16 02:24 AM
    Sadly, the issue is back stronger than ever. And reseating the sensor board (this time even with contact spray applied) did not solve it for more than just a few hours.
    12-18-16 12:18 PM
    Just here to say I have had this issue numerous times as well. A simple reboot would do the trick in the past but now it refuses to come back on. Seems a fresh OS is my only option. I think the bad ambient light sensor seems to be correct. The guy who reseated it or replaced it, good on ya. But if that's not an option...what do we do? I'm on 10.3.3

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 12:23 AM
    Okay so after a 'hard' reset (holding volume keys down for 10 secs), still nothing. I also checked BBVE before and after the reset and both times it says the light sensor is 'unavailable'.

I would suggest to anybody looking for a fix, test the BBVE first, before doing a wipe or fresh OS. I know it is a widespread issue cus many people have posted about it before. It seems to me that the ambient light sensor has a shelf life of about a year if you're lucky. Then have to replace or reseat as others have mentioned.

SIGH

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 12:34 AM
    Okay so after a 'hard' reset (holding volume keys down for 10 secs), still nothing. I also checked BBVE before and after the reset and both times it says the light sensor is 'unavailable'.

I would suggest to anybody looking for a fix, test the BBVE first, before doing a wipe or fresh OS. I know it is a widespread issue cus many people have posted about it before. It seems to me that the ambient light sensor has a shelf life of about a year if you're lucky. Then have to replace or reseat as others have mentioned.

SIGH

Posted via CB10
    Perfect timing for a device Trade up programme that will be announced shortly. Stay tuned for further news.
    12-17-17 01:42 AM
    Just here to say I have had this issue numerous times as well. A simple reboot would do the trick in the past but now it refuses to come back on. Seems a fresh OS is my only option. I think the bad ambient light sensor seems to be correct. The guy who reseated it or replaced it, good on ya. But if that's not an option...what do we do? I'm on 10.3.3

Posted via CB10
    Hey there, I must confess I gave up and switched to a Priv as 1) the sensor problem kept creeping back and became more and more frequent and 2) my stupid GF would not abandon Whatsapp who abandoned BB support. We might have switched to Telegram but she refused because (as usual) all her "friends" (mostly Facebook-quality friends, you know...) would never step back from Whatsapp anyway. Not really happy about it all. BB10 OS was so much easier in handling than Android, even with the brilliant BlackBerry contributions. This is still the form of Android I would prefer over all other Android flavors but in general I hate it. I still keep the Passport for home WiFi use and must say that it still amazes me whenever I hold it in my hands; it's always super responsive, never slow, never crashes, holds up for days on a single charge, and the keyboard is absolutely unmatched. The Priv is a huge disappointment in all these respects. It's not a bad phone but I am still very reluctant about BB10 OS being discontinued. Wish somebody would pick up where they left.
    12-17-17 06:43 AM
    Iam also facing this problem. Is software issue or hardware? Please support

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 10:40 AM
    Iam also facing this problem. Is software issue or hardware? Please support

Posted via CB10
    I have concluded that it is a hardware issue. I am no expert, but I have read numerous posts about this issue and while some people (including myself) have resolved it with a reboot...it eventually stops working. And I think the bad ambient sensor/proximity sensor is the correct diagnosis. Seems if you are not under warranty, it might be better to take advantage of the Trade-up program as I have no clue how much a repair like this would cost. It sucks because I was ready and raring to go for another two years with this device. Now I will push as long as I can, but if a fresh OS can't fix this issue (if it doesn't, it proves it's a hardware issue), and if it's not affordable to fix the sensor, I might have to just say goodbye to BB10 for good. :'(

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 04:05 PM
    Changing the proximity sensor was easy. Now my Passport works fine.
    12-21-17 05:34 AM
    Hey there, I must confess I gave up and switched to a Priv as 1) the sensor problem kept creeping back and became more and more frequent and 2) my stupid GF would not abandon Whatsapp who abandoned BB support. We might have switched to Telegram but she refused because (as usual) all her "friends" (mostly Facebook-quality friends, you know...) would never step back from Whatsapp anyway. Not really happy about it all. BB10 OS was so much easier in handling than Android, even with the brilliant BlackBerry contributions. This is still the form of Android I would prefer over all other Android flavors but in general I hate it. I still keep the Passport for home WiFi use and must say that it still amazes me whenever I hold it in my hands; it's always super responsive, never slow, never crashes, holds up for days on a single charge, and the keyboard is absolutely unmatched. The Priv is a huge disappointment in all these respects. It's not a bad phone but I am still very reluctant about BB10 OS being discontinued. Wish somebody would pick up where they left.
    you switch to BBM. Help her install it and then you are special. It's your app and your private facebook. She will love the app. My experience.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-21-17 07:05 AM
    I can't use my passport in the dark to type. Is this just my phone? Is there an option to turn the keyboard light on when typing in the dark?

My Z30 is hired, my iPhone retired. BlackBerry rules the lot. Cause it's the best phone I've ever got.
    Restart also cannot ?
    12-21-17 02:53 PM
    Restart also cannot ?

Yes, his next post says that a reboot solves it.
    And it is 3 years old, by the way.
    12-22-17 11:50 AM
    Yes, his next post says that a reboot solves it.
    And it is 3 years old, by the way.
    I have this problems too. It's often and just need to restart device then it would be ok
    12-22-17 11:54 AM
    You can disable the screen rotation and all the options in settings ~> advanced interaction.

Since the proximity sensor is on the same die as the light sensor and since it is possible that Joe is right with the CPU flood can this help maybe.
    Last edited by ShalokShalom; 12-22-17 at 04:08 PM.
    12-22-17 12:11 PM
    Hello,
    This happens occasionally ,, just go to Settings, then Go to Display, then move the Slide for Brightness, you will see the Keyboard light up...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
    Ric

I can't use my passport in the dark to type. Is this just my phone? Is there an option to turn the keyboard light on when typing in the dark?

My Z30 is hired, my iPhone retired. BlackBerry rules the lot. Cause it's the best phone I've ever got.
    12-24-17 02:19 PM
73 123