1 week trying out the new passport lead me to the decision to stay with my Z30.

Reasons:
    - Much to heavy to do phone calls convenient - and that's one main reason for a smartphone
    - No additional benefit with the wider screen - confuses more than one get information easier to access
    - Can not get used to the keyboard as I could when using 9900 and Q10
    - Keyboard touching to place the cursor worked great in the beginning when testing but in heavy business situations it's not working good because it is not precise enough
    - Battery life is not that overwhelming. The weight of a Z30 + extra Battery is the same weight but lasts longer
    - Mobility is not it's feature. It's hardly possible to carry it in the pocket without the feeling having a brick in the pocket.

To clearify:
    BlackBerry OS is best OS out there
    The Phones are durable and I like them very much
    I keep my Z30 and would love to see a new version of it
    Unfortunately passport does not fit my needs as good as I expected - but I tried hard

To all trolls out there. Yes, one can be of different opinion ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 02:12 AM

Reasons:
    - Much to heavy to do phone calls convenient - and that's one main reason for a smartphone
    - No additional benefit with the wider screen - confuses more than one get information easier to access
    - Keyboard touching to place the cursor worked great in the beginning when testing but in heavy business situations it's not working good because it is not precise enough
    - Battery life is not that overwhelming. The weight of a Z30 + extra Battery is the same weight but lasts longer
    - Mobility is not it's feature. It's hardly possible to carry it in the pocket without the feeling having a brick in the pocket.

To clearify:
    Unfortunately passport does not fit my needs as good as I expected - but I tried hard

Posted via CB10
    Finally, an honest negative review of a puzzling device!

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    05-07-15 02:42 AM

Reasons:

To clearify:

Posted via CB10
    Well, clearly the passport is not for every and anyone. Though I am not sure how some of the issues you mentioned are thought of:
    Battery + mobility: you mention that Z30 plus external battery charger lasts more than the passport and that mobility is not its strong point. I think that a Z30 + external battery charger is more inconvenient than the passport. Additionally, even though I am the first to point out that the non removable battery of the passport is a drawback, the battery life on the passport is indeed great. I have been through entire days working full time via my phone and it has not drained to the point of needing a charge up (provided that I started the day fully charged of course)

As per mobility: it all comes down to level of compromise: before the passport I used the Q10 (and Z10 before that). Well, back then my phone was smaller but my laptop came with me or a tablet would follow me. That definitely was less mobile than just the passport. I can even decently demo our company system if I have to via my passport now . So it is a an upgrade on mobile/productivity ratio in that respect. But that has to do with each ones needs.

Undoubtedly the passport is a big phone but I would not call it a Brick... it perfectly fits in my suit pocket with a slim profile and also my jeans front pocket (I am not a really big guy either).

Keyboard: It does need some time to get used to. It took me just three days to embrace and about a couple of weeks maximum to reach the point of not even thinking about it and my personal opinion is that the pp keyboard is really well thought out and works well.

The screen is a BIG plus. And one thing is if you like it, another if it is better for consumption of documents compared to a Z30. It is more room and while composing and email for instance, the fact that the vk does not take up great part of the screen is a big plus! This is an objective observation of use and size of screen real estate. I f you like it or not, it is a different story.

Regarding cursor placement, since you have a touch screen and now you are using the Z30 with the same OS, you also have the Z30 way of editing text in the passport, as the pp can use both touch keyboard and touch screen, so I cannot see that as a negative.

I am not attacking you in any way, solely, I just wanted to understand your perception as I found some of your comments contradictory and honestly I would be interested to understand how and what conditioned your views towards your decision, as the majority of what you mention seem to be contradicting to a point.

If you have happened to read any of my posts in the forum, I am big on "to each their own" and that every person has to use the phone that best suits them and that this is about personal preference, so honestly, if not happy with the Passport, you really are doing well to go back to your phone of choice. Your phone should be practical, cover your needs and serve you/ "make you happy".

I will agree with you on that the phone is a bit big to hold to your ear for my liking as well, but this is personal preference again. I would not say that it is impractical or awfully weird to do so though and I use it like that but most of the time I use headsets, which also allows me to look for files and check things relevant to the conversation I am having for work.

Just my 2 cents for the sake of pluralism in the thread

as you said : each person is entitled to their own opinion
    all the best!

Posted via CB10 on my beloved Passport
    habs_fan likes this.
    05-07-15 03:14 AM
    I'm really curious, if there was a magical AT&T Passport that appeared, if you would like it more than your first Passport and stay with it longer.

Probably not, but I believe a few of your usability points were addressed with the redesign.
    05-07-15 03:56 AM
    Passport. Spreadsheets. Nuff said. To each his own.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    05-07-15 04:18 AM
    Finally after creating few threads about the phone calls, it's width and all that you say 'I Quit'

You have 30 days to return it. Use it for few days, you might end up loving it.

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    05-07-15 07:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I do agree that every phone has it's own target market. Apparently, you're not the target market for the Passport. Return the phone, no harm there.

Finished my first phone call on my new Passport.
    Duration 2 Minutes.
    Feeling: like holding a brick to the ear
    Suggestion: Well seems more like a Computer than a Telefone.
    Will I do calls again: probably not
    Posted via CB10
    Just one question, you've had the phone for one week and yet made your first (and apparently last) phone call just sixteen hours ago (based on your post on another of the many threads you created)? You don't seem to be a heavy phone user if you can go on for a week without a single call. So what is your primary use of your phone? That's what you should address first in order to find the right phone that fits your needs.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and anon(9169048) like this.
    05-07-15 07:29 AM
    He's not a troll. It's obvious he's just a smaller dude. The passport wasn't made for small people. I can see how some of my friends who are much shorter than me have barely even been able to hold the thing.

The z30 is amazing to be honest so I see the point of OP. I had a hard time staying with my pp after having the z30
    05-07-15 07:38 AM
    What's up with all of these double posts? It's getting ridiculous every time I come on here to see users that make different post to say the same sh*t. If you hate something so much, return and don't complain. That is all CB seems to be now a days. Would hate to be a moderator on here closing all of these threads.

Posted via CB Z30
    05-07-15 07:39 AM
    The truth is that I normally check on the OPs other threads and comments before posting. Did not do that in this case and it seems from other comments that this is thread number x on the same lines from the same user (still will not check though ) .

My stance is that when a thread comes up and does not make sense or is misleading, it may take away the option of constructive feedback for people that might want to check on the device in order to have an informed opinion. In that sense and after 3 months with the passport in doing serious and large volume work on it, I choose to pose at least some notes for contextualisation.

Be well my friend

Last edited by john_v; 05-07-15 at 09:32 AM.
    05-07-15 07:41 AM
    THE PROBLEM IS STATED IN THE VERY FIRST LINE OF HIS TEXT. HE ONLY USED THE PASSPORT FOR ONLY ONE WEEK!!!!!. Now there is no way anyone can make an informed opinion on a revolutionary and different device as the Passport in only one week. He was impatient and got scared. He did not even have enough time to learn all the cool tricks the combo touch screen/touch keyboard have to offer. It took me a month at least to come to grips with the phone and its design but in my defense I was new to BlackBerry. ROOKIE!

Posted via CB10
    fanisk likes this.
    05-07-15 07:49 AM
    I can see where OP is coming from. But for me the upgraded screen makes me stay with Passport. Yeah the form factor and the keyboard is not as good as Z30 but it's also not bad at all. If a true Z30 successor (not the Leap, thank you) comes out, that would be my next upgrade.

And yes, I feel the same way as OP that BB10 is the best mobile OS out there.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-07-15 07:55 AM
    He's not a troll. It's obvious he's just a smaller dude. The passport wasn't made for small people. I can see how some of my friends who are much shorter than me have barely even been able to hold the thing.
    Dude, I'm an Asian, 5.52ft. I'm small. I don't troll. I research well before buying, decide what I want and need, I utilize every feature the phone has to offer--all weakness and strength, circumvent what it lacks by doing more research here and in the web before calling it quit and start a thread. Like when the Passport flickered and had small notification sounds, I googled around and found out it was just a matter of OS update. I didn't complain. I waited patiently for the OTA update, not trusting enough on the leak versions.

And just so you know, please bear in mind that buyers in Indonesia do not have the luxury of 30 days trial period where one can just return a bought phone if one is unsatisfied. Heh. Don't I wish it could be like that so I could return my current Passport and try the Z30. But no. You know what I'd do? I'd BUY the Z30 next month and keep the Passport. I'll cherish and utilize BOTH to the max.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    05-07-15 08:16 AM
    Uiuiui... I've I had knew what comes up when writing a short comment on why *I* am not the right one for the passport.....
    Just to get things clear:
    Yes I created 3 posts where I wrote about the things I do not like about the passport:
    - too heavy for *me* (phone calls)
    - no much benefit of the wider screen for *me*
    - sending back the device after one week testing by *me* (this one)

OK - saying the passport is * definitive* not for phone calls could be misunderstood. It's just a 1:1 translation from German to English. All I wanted to say is that it is inconvenient to do a phone call. Well, the German phrase is much less absolute than the 1:1 translation to English. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't know that.

All the other comments, I would be to weak to lift it, just trolling, not testing enough, etc are bulls..it!

I played 1 complete week around with the phone. Heaviest usage. And it just don't fit *me*!

Just wanted to say that I am serious about my comments. - and for all of you thinking I am trolling... I would have loved to keep it!

But to all BlackBerry fans / user out there: I think it's time to hold together! We should care about convincing people to return to BlackBerry to keep the company alive!
    But this also means to *discuss* on concepts and trying to get better! If I would be the only one complaining things would be great. But seems like there are few others as well ;-)

I hope I could get my point of view clearer.
    For all of you feeling offended, Sorry - that was not my intention!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 08:26 AM

Reasons:

To clearify:

Posted via CB10
    IMO buy what suite you! If Passport is heavy or bigger for you its oK!
    Best is what suites your needs!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-07-15 08:29 AM
    I agree with bhoqeem in prior research.
    When the Passport first came out I was not sure it was for me. I always said I could not decide until I had a hands on with it. I could not find any demo unit in my country so I waited it out until I had a scheduled trip to Dubai and went to the Dubai mall BlackBerry shop.

Got the phone in my hands and tried all the issues I had identified being as informed as possible prior to purchase. The keyboard in the beginning made me hesitate but having BlackBerry experience and having a first feel for it, I took the plunge and boy am I happy I did so! For me it is one of the best phones ever (for my use, needs and balance of usage/comfort and added value).

Some things, like the size and talking on it are pretty obvious and tangible for most normal people right from the get go I think. You get a phone in your hands, one of the naturally first reaction in my opinion is to see how it feels like talking on it (placement and comfort etc). Surprised someone would need a week to get this figured out.

Also I am not a big guy and passport is not an issue in terms of size. You want one hand use, either get it on a flat surface or rotate the phone; If I need to use it one hand on the go I actually rotate the phone to reach the key I need if using assistant is not an option. Not a real solution but hey

Being big has added value and single hand use is a tradeoff. One should be conscious of both aspects prior to getting a passport imo.

05-07-15 08:30 AM
    Uiuiui... I've I had knew what comes up when writing a short comment on why *I* am not the right one for the passport.....
    Just to get things clear:
    Yes I created 3 posts where I wrote about the things I do not like about the passport:
    - too heavy for *me* (phone calls)
    - no much benefit of the wider screen for *me*
    - sending back the device after one week testing by *me* (this one)

OK - saying the passport is * definitive* not for phone calls could be misunderstood. It's just a 1:1 translation from German to English. All I wanted to say is that it is inconvenient to do a phone call. Well, the German phrase is much less absolute than the 1:1 translation to English. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't know that.

All the other comments, I would be to weak to lift it, just trolling, not testing enough, etc are bulls..it!

I played 1 complete week around with the phone. Heaviest usage. And it just don't fit *me*!

Just wanted to say that I am serious about my comments. - and for all of you thinking I am trolling... I would have loved to keep it!

But to all BlackBerry fans / user out there: I think it's time to hold together! We should care about convincing people to return to BlackBerry to keep the company alive!
    But this also means to *discuss* on concepts and trying to get better! If I would be the only one complaining things would be great. But seems like there are few others as well ;-)

I hope I could get my point of view clearer.
    For all of you feeling offended, Sorry - that was not my intention!

Posted via CB10
    Man honestly, it is YOUR phone YOUR money YOUR choice! this is a rule as absolute as breathing to stay alive: each person buys what they want and have the right to dislike it or not want it afterwards and get something else. I find it perfectly logical and natural. Personally I am not offended by your choices hahah, how could that even happen?

My disagreement/ comment, concerns giving a clearer feedback, because other people consult the forums in order to check what suits them, so if we are not clear about our dislikes and how they fit our user profile, then we may mislead people to either miss out or make the wrong choice for them, resulting in them having to face the situation of being displeased with the phone they get due to misinformation.

Just my 2cents

05-07-15 08:36 AM
    Are you serious? It's a great phone, but it's among the most awkward and heavy on the market. I don't doubt it could rip a hole through a suit jacket pocket.

"Function in society"...I can't imagine how you can.

---

CurrentOdysseys had a great few responses in this thread, however. He and OP are both correct in my experience with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    LoL
    I constantly have it in my suit internal pocket and no holes to date :-P

(I would trash my phone if it destroyed any of my suits, promise you that...)
    as for heavy... well it really is not "heavy". Heavier by some grams compared to other phones, sure but heavy?? No way man!

The point that you stand somewhere in the middle proves the evident: different people, different needs, different perceptions. Personally I try to always give my user profile, BlackBerry experience and personal preference and decision factors when people ask me about my choice of most things like that if the conversation aims to gather data for an informed decision from their part.

05-07-15 08:50 AM

The z30 is amazing to be honest so I see the point of OP. I had a hard time staying with my pp after having the z30
    I'm a 5'4" female. I love my Passport. Now I'm so sad it wasn't made for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 09:10 AM
    OP, do what ever you want. It's your money. A phone is a very important and personal decision. Ignore those who say you "only used it for a week". That's like telling a jury who deliberated for a week, and came to a unanimous decision, that "they only deliberated for a week". Sometimes a week is plenty, sometimes it's not.

And, yes, it's a heavy brick of a phone. That may be hard to get used to, and I certainly can't blame you for realizing....after holding it for a week....that it will be more than you bargained for. Again, ignore the ignorant "how do you function in society" posts. There is no logic to them.

You tried it. You put in due diligence, and you found what worked. You realized the grass was greener with the Z30. Enjoy your phone and live with the knowledge that it's still the best for your needs!
    john_v likes this.
    05-07-15 09:12 AM
    05-07-15 09:19 AM