Good day, whenever I use my camera the picture looks poor. Please what I can I do get my camera picture becomes clear?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:34 PM
    I find I have to clean the lens before use. Mine always have smudges and fingerprints on it. After cleaning I get greats pics.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:41 PM
    Is it a new device? Did you take the lens protection off?

Okay... I think you checked that. I have also the impression that my cam has a poor focus motor...

My tip and solution would be to use the timer with the delay of 3 seconds. It is the time the motor needs to focus... silly but either you wait the 2-3 seconds or you may use the action mode, and only wait... 1 second!?

If the cam does not focus well, move the device forward and backward then hold 1-3 seconds... the result is a good picture however. Not the best phone to make a snapshot though!!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    02-10-15 01:47 PM
    Is it a new device? Did you take the lens protection off?

Okay... I think you checked that. I have also the impression that my cam has a poor focus motor...

My tip and solution would be to use the timer with the delay of 3 seconds. It is the time the motor needs to focus... silly but either you wait the 2-3 seconds or you may use the action mode, and only wait... 1 second!?

If the cam does not focus well, move the device forward and backward then hold 1-3 seconds... the result is a good picture however. Not the best phone to make a snapshot though!!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    There is no "focus motor". It's a digital zoom which means it's software.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 02:34 PM
    May be... but I found a way to get clear shots. I explained it this way to myself.

02-10-15 02:45 PM
    There is no "focus motor". It's a digital zoom which means it's software. Posted via CB10
    No, the focus uses a motor. The zoom is digital. Only a fixed focus lens, or light field array requires no focus.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    02-10-15 03:41 PM
    I tap on the object or person I want to focus in and then immediately take the pics. It will get you clear pics all the time.

The camera software is not sure where to focus so why don't you guide it instead.
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    02-10-15 05:35 PM
    I tap on the object or person I want to focus in and then immediately take the pics. It will get you clear pics all the time.

The camera software is not sure where to focus so why don't you guide it instead.
    Have you the face recognition involved please?

02-10-15 11:17 PM
    If your passport on official version , go back to your store,
    First passport I got it was like you passport, the picture poor and I can't make focus, then I went to the store which I bought my passport from it, then they replace my device with new one

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:50 AM
    No, the focus uses a motor. The zoom is digital. Only a fixed focus lens, or light field array requires no focus.

Posted via CB10
    No...the focus does NOT use a motor. Can you see the lens move? Ever? No, because it's a fixes lens with a digital zoom. An Optical zoom has a motor.

"digital zoom is not really zoom, in the strictest definition of the term. What digital zoom does is take a central portion of the image and enlarging it, thus �simulating� optical zoom. In other words, the camera crops a portion of the image and then enlarges it back to size. In so doing, you lose image quality. If you�ve been regularly using digital zoom and wondered why your pictures did not look that great, now you know."

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...-digital-zoom/

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:26 AM
    No...the focus does NOT use a motor. Can you see the lens move? Ever? No, because it's a fixes lens with a digital zoom. An Optical zoom has a motor.

"digital zoom is not really zoom, in the strictest definition of the term. What digital zoom does is take a central portion of the image and enlarging it, thus �simulating� optical zoom. In other words, the camera crops a portion of the image and then enlarges it back to size. In so doing, you lose image quality. If you�ve been regularly using digital zoom and wondered why your pictures did not look that great, now you know."

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...-digital-zoom/

Posted via CB10
    Your talking about the zoom. Zoom is digital so it doesn't use motor to zoom in or out. But focusing still uses motors and the movement is so small. It is used to move the lens minutely to focus on an object. The lens will move to make the pictures clear.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:57 AM
    Your talking about the zoom. Zoom is digital so it doesn't use motor to zoom in or out. But focusing still uses motors and the movement is so small. It is used to move the lens minutely to focus on an object. The lens will move to make the pictures clear.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry you are wrong. Remove the camera lens and see for yourself.
    Active focus uses sensors.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/a...l-photography/

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:00 AM
    I'm no expert but I believe there is a motor.

I turned on the camera and slowly moved my phone around and I saw the lens moved around a bit.

When I turned off the camera, the lens was no longer moving.

Maybe it's the optical stabilizer?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 10:09 AM
    I'm no expert but I believe there is a motor.

I turned on the camera and slowly moved my phone around and I saw the lens moved around a bit.

When I turned off the camera, the lens was no longer moving.

Maybe it's the optical stabilizer?

Posted via CB10
    It's a fixed lens. It doesn't move, ever. Do some research.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually it does move. The auto focus uses a tiny motor or actuator to adjust the lens, and the Passport uses an OIS system which makes use of gyroscopes to keep the lens still. You can actually hear the camera making noises sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 01:46 PM
    Thanks for the back-up !!

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 02:24 PM
    Passport camera is just not a 2015 camera...I wish it was at least on par with the camera of my Q10...

Btw I still haven't seen any reports whether the this terrible focusing has been addressed in 10.3.1??

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 02:49 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Not meaning to be argumentative, but there are only three types of camera modules currently used in mobiles. They are:

Fixed focus - no moving parts, the focus is always in hyperfocus

VCM (voice coil motor) - the lens and body is moved by a traditional motor

MEMS (micro electro mechanical system) is a silicon motor which is faster than VCM as it only has to move the lens

VCM takes about 250ms from 0 to infinity, whereas MEMS only takes 80ms. MEMS is replacing VCM as it is a newer technology. Just because you can't see a "motor" when you take the camera apart doesn't mean it isn't there.

Larger cameras normally use ultrasonic motors for focus, but the small camera modules can't fit them.

The PP is not fixed focus - the camera must focus on objects, hence it is either VCM or MEMS. I suspect VCM as it is slower than other flagships - the iPhone now uses MEMS. You won't see the lens move, as there is no space. One of the internal lenses moves - the passport uses a 5 element f2 lens.

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    02-13-15 04:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe it's time for you to do some research

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 04:42 PM

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/a...l-photography/

Posted via CB10
    Am also sorry but you are wrong. Fixed focus lens are a thing of the past (for celphone circa 2000s) and they don't usually produce sharp images.

The Passport actually uses a Sony IMX135 module. And it has an AF motor which is actually a VCM (voice coil motor). Lens need to move/actuate in order for it to focus on an object. Here's the press release of the camera module. This module is also being used by the LG G2/G3 and Motorola Moto X among others.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201208/12-107E/

Posted via CB10
    nyallj and bb10_fan like this.
    02-14-15 05:46 AM
    one way to get a good fast pic is to start recording a video (autofocus I think has better results) and wile you record the video if you press on the pic button you take snapshots that most of the time work great for me (make sure you have high res video setting). then I delete the vid and keep the pics

it is a work around for those that may be extra demanding on the snap shot. the quality of pics on the passport (focus apart in the context mentioned in here) are really good imo.

also, putting it on action seems to grab faster indeed with higher rate of success but on the down side luminosity auto adjustment is worse

hope that helps

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 06:12 PM