Interesting how people believe, or not believe the legitimacy. I'm quite interested how BlackBerry will deal with this. I expect they must have a way to be more scientific (like) about it, and thereby have a better idea of what really happened and how. We all know the Passport is a tough phone. Like some of you, my Passport has been through a lot more than I thought it could handle, or would handle.
    12-20-14 07:52 PM
    Don't carry it in your back pocket.
    OP didn't. It was in the front pocket I believe.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:29 PM
    OP didn't. It was in the front pocket I believe.

Posted via CB10
    So says the OP. The laws of physics say otherwise unless he got a unit that was made out of iPhone aluminum instead of steel.
    12-21-14 12:31 AM
    It buckled in that place on the frame because that's where the holes for the buttons are drilled. If you stress the whole frame then it will buckle at a segment where there is significantly less material and at the point closest to the middle of the beam. There's nothing at all mysterious about it.
    12-21-14 01:15 AM
    I really don't understand what would compel some Crackberry users to throw other users under the bus rather than to admit that a Passport could get bent. Are the defense mechanisms that strong? Is it really that important for you to believe that the Passport is immune to bending?

I guess all it takes is someone posting a pic of a obviously bent Passport to get the local townspeople to start lighting torches.
    Yup... and what gets me is the mods these days don't seem to care. As long as you're a fanboy, they'll let you get away with bashing anybody... but if you're critical of BlackBerry (in my case I'm critical because I want to see BlackBerry get better and succeed) then you risk being banned.

Pretty sad... really...

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:03 AM
    Interesting thread.

I was wondering about all the other big screen phones out there in the world as well as my Z30.

I'm right in saying that bent phones has not been an issue previously? From any manufacturer.

The iPhone mostly, and now the Passport potentially suffering the same issue has to make you wonder why it is a new issue. Same supplier of the raw materials?

From what is see the Passport should be a strong phone, and at the very least the tougher than my Z30 from what everyone is saying. So you do have to consider the quality of the materials used as I've have my Z30 for over a year and it's fine. Been in pockets, dropped etc.

I don't doubt the op. His photo is perfectly clear and simply showing his problem.

I for one am interested in the outcome and hope he gets a quick resolution.

Nothing wrong at all in sharing with everyone his problem.

Posted via CB10
    BigPlayChad8 likes this.
    12-21-14 02:41 AM
    I understand that the Iphone 6 bend because everyone can bend it, however, the Passport everybody try to bend it, but none can bend it so I have no idea how it is bend with your Passport.
    Really? If I try to bend the Passport it won't bend? Come on. Of course it will.

This is a huge double standard. Very few iPhone 6 devices actually bent. Everyone here jumped on the Apple bashing bandwagon. Now that it has happened to a few BlackBerry devices everyone suddenly notices that it is only a few devices and defends BlackBerry.

 Posted via CB10 
    12-21-14 02:53 AM
    I've sat on my Q10 numerous times. I keep it in my back pocket whenever I do not have a suit jacket on, and have never experienced anything of the sort.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 03:33 AM
    Really? If I try to bend the Passport it won't bend? Come on. Of course it will.

This is a huge double standard. Very few iPhone 6 devices actually bent. Everyone here jumped on the Apple bashing bandwagon. Now that it has happened to a few BlackBerry devices everyone suddenly notices that it is only a few devices and defends BlackBerry.

 Posted via CB10 
    Indeed, that is what makes this thread so hilarious. After all the flack about iPhones bending even after having been debunked, it finally happens to Blackberry.
    12-21-14 03:41 AM
    This is really not the thing you'd want to see happen with a new phone especially the Passport. What I think is the initial batch of Passport is really strong but then when they ran out of stock and they started getting back orders, in a bid to re stock them, BlackBerry may not have had adequate quality control. Hence so many posts about bending and screens coming out.

Good luck OP. Hope it gets replaced.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 03:52 AM
    I'm right in saying that bent phones has not been an issue previously? From any manufacturer.
    No, that is not correct. Plenty of phones have had issues with bending prior to this year's sudden obsession with bending due to iPhone 6 bashing.

The iPhone 4 & 4S were bendable.

The iPhone 5 & 5S are bendable.

Sony Xperia Z models are bendable

HTC One M7 & M8 are bendable.

One particular good example from 2012, the HTC EVO 4G LTE, had an extremely bad design that led to easier than average bending.

Pretty much any phone with a metal body or frame, thin profile, and enough surface area to provide decent leverage, will bend. Phones made of plastic will also bend, but plastic is more likely to return to its original shape, where as metal will more often keep whatever shape it is forced in to, until it is forced in to another shape.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 12-21-14 at 06:18 AM.
    eyesopen1111 and chflower like this.
    12-21-14 04:08 AM
    Indeed, that is what makes this thread so hilarious. After all the flack about iPhones bending even after having been debunked, it finally happens to Blackberry.
    Some people here don't seem to let facts get in the way of their desire to bash other platforms. Same thing applies when it comes to their defense of BlackBerry.

 Posted via CB10 
    12-21-14 04:16 AM
    in which pocket?!
    it sounds quite doubtful that you managed to bend stainless steel in the pocket without sitting on it.
    I drive with it in my back pocket. I have done that every weekday since October 6. No sign of bending yet. I really don't see how it would bend in your pocket, unless you sit on a hard surface.
    12-21-14 04:25 AM
    Thanks jmr1015.

Pretty much answers that then.

Onto the next phone-gate issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:36 AM
    It's clear tht such a huge and massive thing cannot have a bend jst like tht either it's done purposely or he's lying openly.
    Even I have a pp a q10 n z10 no ways anyone can bent it that easily.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:49 AM
    I have had four passports since the official launch, all with different build dates, none of them have experienced the bend or screen lifting issues and the clients I have sold then to, love the device and have reported zero build qualify issues.

Any device can be damaged and have issues when not taken care of and/or dropped or abused. I would have thought that BlackBerry would have had prototype devices built and tested by the engineering folks for normal wear and tear issues before it was officially released.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    12-21-14 05:12 AM
    I have had four passports since the official launch, all with different build dates, none of them have experienced the bend or screen lifting issues and the clients I have sold then to, love the device and have reported zero build qualify issues.

Any device can be damaged and have issues when not taken care of and/or dropped or abused. I would have thought that BlackBerry would have had prototype devices built and tested by their engineering folks long before it was officially released to test the device for these types of normal wear and tear issues.

12-21-14 05:15 AM
    No way did it bend in that fashion, dude. I simply do not believe you. I believe you are spreading misinformation.

I've been using this thing for almost three months now. Have dropped it hard on the pavement a few times. Have sat on it. Carry it in my front pocket all the time. Have actually *tried* to bend it. It's built like a tank.

The laws of physics say that you applied a pretty large amount of force to it to bend it like that. The fact that you say, "I didn't..." is pretty much a dead giveaway that you did.
    Ok, I put it in a vice. You got me.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:27 AM
    You should put a how-to video on youtube, like they did with those other phones, the exact details of which escapes me.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:30 AM
    So says the OP. The laws of physics say otherwise unless he got a unit that was made out of iPhone aluminum instead of steel.
    Apparently, I am part wizard. I can defy the laws of physics.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:33 AM
    Come on all! Common sense and physics will show us that all phones can bend, some easier than others depending on design, but certainly when we get to Passport size, Iphone 6+, Note 4 etc size of phone then bending will be achieved easier than smaller phone form factors.

With all phones, but especially larger phones then either a good case, and also not putting large phones in tight pockets etc should be common sense to reduce any bending that might occur.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:16 AM
    So true, especially when there is clearly an issue with phone call recording software on my phone. This phone is fully functioning! But bent! Priorities please.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:23 AM
    Apparently, I am part wizard. I can defy the laws of physics.

Posted via CB10
    Nah, don't think physics had anything to do with it. Hey, any luck on providing a couple more pics from different angles?
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-21-14 06:30 AM
    Nah, don't think physics had anything to do with it. Hey, any luck on providing a couple more pics from different angles?
    I would like to see some additional pics & find the request to be perfectly appropriate & reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    Najo likes this.
    12-21-14 06:50 AM
    Blackberry Passport Bend Test..looks like this guy made an honest attempt.. nice try though

Kristoff
    12-21-14 06:58 AM
225 ... 45678 ...