Well, I first want to tip my hat to the design team at Blackberry for a great solid design on the passport.

I bought my passport on the product launch day and received it on Friday, I set the device up from scratch without doing a restore from the link software.

I have to say that going back to a physical keyboard after you have been used to a touch screen does take a bit, but give it time, you will like it, trust me.

The screen, it's a nice big square fabulous detailed gem. Text is sharp, pictures and graphics just pop out. The zoom feature is fluid and it looks great outside in the sunlight.

The size, well I have never had a device that every time I am in a crowd checking my emails or messages and someone sees it, they say, what the hell is that???

I tell them it's the new Blackberry passport and they are stunned. I have big paws so I adjusted quite well to the size, but I could see where it might be an issue for folks with small hands.

Software, I am a big believer in 10.3, I have had the leak on my z30 and I love the new calendar, hub features and the overall look and speed of the OS. Blackberry has come a long way since I had 10.0 on my z10 I bought on launch day last year.

Build quality, this device is built like a German panzer or M1 Abrams tank and has a nice solid feel that makes you feel you got a nice solid product for your hard earned money. The snap on plastic shell case has worked well for me.

Price, well at 683.00 with the case and tax, I think it's well worth the money. I had bought an iPhone 6 on launch day and took it back for a refund because I thought the passport was a better buy and I put almost 275.00 dollars back in my pocket for what I paid for the iPhone 6.

Apps, I am not a gamer or watch movies on my phone, but the sports, news and reference apps I have installed from the Amazon App Store have all been working fine. They load quickly and look great on the big square screen.

I have had a couple of apps from the Blackberry app world that have a scaling issue and only use half the screen, but I have emailed the developers about this issue and their response has been great, it's take time folks, they didn't build Rome in one day.

Call and signal quality, I get 4G LTE on T Mobile USA and the call quality is excellent and the voice detail is clear, detailed and the noise suppression technology is great. My clients tell me I sound excellent and when my phone is my business tool, that's important to me.

Final thoughts, this device is not for everyone, but if your a Blackberry person and have been waiting for a device that's fast, great screen,build quality, fluid software, this is it.

As Huey Lewis once said "it's hip to be square".

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA.
    09-30-14 07:17 PM
    Thanks for that OP. I've been noticing your posts from way before the passport was launched I'm glad you've enjoying your device.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-30-14 07:21 PM
    +1

" The sleeping giant is about to wake up " Me
    09-30-14 07:25 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Very nice review!!! Thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:26 PM
    Sweet. Great job!

What the what?
    09-30-14 07:28 PM
    Well, I first want to tip my hat to the design team at Blackberry for a great solid design on the passport.

I bought my passport on the product launch day and received it on Friday, I set the device up from scratch without doing a restore from the link software.

I have to say that going back to a physical keyboard after you have been used to a touch screen does take a bit, but give it time, you will like it, trust me.

The screen, it's a nice big square fabulous detailed gem. Text is sharp, pictures and graphics just pop out. The zoom feature is fluid and it looks great outside in the sunlight.

The size, well I have never had a device that every time I am in a crowd checking my emails or messages and someone sees it, they say, what the hell is that???

I tell them it's the new Blackberry passport and they are stunned. I have big paws so I adjusted quite well to the size, but I could see where it might be an issue for folks with small hands.

Software, I am a big believer in 10.3, I have had the leak on my z30 and I love the new calendar, hub features and the overall look and speed of the OS. Blackberry has come a long way since I had 10.0 on my z10 I bought on launch day last year.

Build quality, this device is built like a German panzer or M1 Abrams tank and has a nice solid feel that makes you feel you got a nice solid product for your hard earned money. The snap on plastic shell case has worked well for me.

Price, well at 683.00 with the case and tax, I think it's well worth the money. I had bought an iPhone 6 on launch day and took it back for a refund because I thought the passport was a better buy and I put almost 275.00 dollars back in my pocket for what I paid for the iPhone 6.

Apps, I am not a gamer or watch movies on my phone, but the sports, news and reference apps I have installed from the Amazon App Store have all been working fine. They load quickly and look great on the big square screen.

I have had a couple of apps from the Blackberry app world that have a scaling issue and only use half the screen, but I have emailed the developers about this issue and their response has been great, it's take time folks, they didn't build Rome in one day.

Call and signal quality, I get 4G LTE on T Mobile USA and the call quality is excellent and the voice detail is clear, detailed and the noise suppression technology is great. My clients tell me I sound excellent and when my phone is my business tool, that's important to me.

Final thoughts, this device is not for everyone, but if your a Blackberry person and have been waiting for a device that's fast, great screen,build quality, fluid software, this is it.

As Huey Lewis once said "it's hip to be square".

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA.
    I've been seeing a bunch of your posts on different threads and following your experience as you post, and I must say, you make one hell of a convincing argument for this phone! (which would be super awesome if I hadn't already been on board since I first saw the "I finally got my hands on the Passport BUT.." thread, which was also a convincing thread!

Thanks for your info and thank you for being such a proactive member of the Cackberry and BlackBerry community!
    bakron1 and Mic_JP like this.
    09-30-14 07:52 PM
    Thanks for the review, I'm curious of your thoughts of how you find the size. Would you say in a couple years time when you want to upgrade will you look for another large passport type device or could you see yourself going back to something smaller?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:20 PM
    The screen really is gorgeous. And the build quality is very good as well. Great review!
    09-30-14 08:30 PM
    Thanks for the review, I'm curious of your thoughts of how you find the size. Would you say in a couple years time when you want to upgrade will you look for another large passport type device or could you see yourself going back to something smaller?

Posted via CB10
    I am a big guy and at 58, the bigger screens help me when it comes to reading my messages and emails. I think the size of the passport is about my limit for a phone.

I have tried a Note 2 & 3 and an iPhone 6 plus and those are two big for me to use as my daily driver. I am a phone junkie and I always like the newest technology, but I think we are coming close to the limit when it comes to the size of these devices.

But, who knows what is coming down the pike for the next super phone. That's what makes this field so exciting. You never know what these manufactures are going come up with next? I can't wait to see.
    andy957, D3C0D3R and Mic_JP like this.
    09-30-14 08:34 PM
    Congratulations!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:39 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my Z 30
    09-30-14 09:17 PM
    Bakron1 I'm glad you are happy with the passport. For a minute I thought you were going to turn your back on blackberry when you weren't getting a confirmation of your phone delivery. I'm glad patience has paid off

Posted with my amazing Z10
    09-30-14 09:27 PM
    Thanks, for sharing

From my Z30 ? 10.3
    09-30-14 09:27 PM
    Nice review. I'm a WWII history buff and enjoyed the reference.

I get my phone tomorrow and hope as a business traveler I can leave the laptop at home . I will give it a try next week when I hit the road.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.xxxx
    09-30-14 09:28 PM
    Thanks for the great review! You answered all my concerns.
    10-01-14 03:29 AM
    Great detailed review. I am glad you mentioned that T-Mobile is your carrier. Does wifi calling work on the passport on T-Mobile? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:35 AM
    Thank you for your awesome review.
    10-01-14 03:39 AM
    Bakron1 I'm glad you are happy with the passport. For a minute I thought you were going to turn your back on blackberry when you weren't getting a confirmation of your phone delivery. I'm glad patience has paid off

Posted with my amazing Z10
    Yeah, I was upset about my delivery and I put my feelings on the CB site because I am hoping that someone up there in Waterloo is reading these post and will improve the customer service.

I am self employed and customer service can make of break any company, no matter how much success you have had, if you don't take care of the person who is spending their hard earned money on your products, your dead. Plain and simple.

I only hope that as Blackberry solves their financial and stability issues, they will add the resources to improve their customer service and not just for the products themselves, but the folks they contract to sell them. Just my two cents.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    dgreatez likes this.
    10-01-14 04:00 AM
    Great detailed review. I am glad you mentioned that T-Mobile is your carrier. Does wifi calling work on the passport on T-Mobile? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think its available because T Mobile technically does not support the passport.
    10-01-14 04:07 AM
    Very crisp and to the point. Nice review. Its a BOSS phone.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    10-01-14 04:30 AM
    Thanks OP for your candid review. looking forward to getting the Passport today

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 05:34 AM
    good for you ! still waiting for mine...
    10-01-14 05:48 AM
    What do you love the most about the passport?
    Overall, it's just a great phone and tool for what I expect of my device. Everyone has their own expectations on what they expect out of their smartphone. My suggestion is to go to a cell phone shop or your provider and if they have a live passport you can play with, test it out, ask questions and make your own decision.

In the end, no matter how many reviews you read and/or recommendations folks can give to you, you have to be happy with your purchase. Just my two cents.
    10-01-14 06:47 AM
    OK!!!you sold me ,I'm off to Bell this morning to pick 1 up,It's their 1st day making it available.Thanks
    10-01-14 06:48 AM
    Nice review thats what i wanted to say
    10-01-14 07:06 AM
28 12