I provide my assessment for those thinking of buying the passport. I bought it coming from a Z30. My preference for a virtual keyboard likely biases my view, so be patient.

My experience :

It's big, wide and heavy. BlackBerry should lighten it if they do a another version.

It's fast. Much better than z30 and I appreciate it's speed.

The screen is beautiful and sharp. That said I liked the z30 screen a lot despite much lower resolution. The wide screen is nice, but it is short. I thought work wide was a good theme. I am less convinced mainly because I also like "work long". The one to one screen is not as good for reading as I thought. For this format I lost programs that are not available in this screen. Even the Kindle app if you can believe it!! I had to load it from Android but it loads slowly.

Difficulty typing quickly. Lots of finger travel across a wide board and effort to depress keys makes a long email tiring. To change up effort when typing on screen for numbers can be annoying. Maybe it seems more accurate but if I typed at that speed on virtual, I would also make fewer mistakes. I liked multiple suggestions on the virtual screen particularly for multilanguage words, but with the passport there are only three. Overall, I prefer the virtual keyboard for typing.

Quick/smart keys are great. This makes the passport what it is. Apple is discovering multigesture and 3d but keyboard is faster and customizable. I would argue that the passport keyboard should be moved to the middle with two more columns added, left and right. This would reduce travel and provide more keys below. I really think more could be done with smartkeys inside apps like the camera or contacts etc. Pressing H for hdr for example, or pressing I for infinite focus would be great.

Camera is the best yet on a BlackBerry, particularly in low light. But still behind some competition. Not sure why. But overall I don't need much better than this and I am happy with the camera. If I need better I take my Nikon.

Battery is so nice that you rarely worry to make through a full day of hard use. But the Z30 was good too.

I lost some of my programs moving to the passport, but I find Android runs much faster. I hope BlackBerry soon includes lollipop.

Bottom line for me is that after three weeks I miss the virtual keyboard. Putting all together, a touch version of the passport would be perfect. I still think BlackBerry could perfect a virtual keyboard that has similar functionality to the physical one in terms of smartkeys.

After three weeks I really like the passport. But had the Z30 been updated with similar specs, I would prefer that. So maybe the Priv is for me, but I don't like dual purpose machines. Passport-T please.

Posted via CB10
    wojt7 and j1m0h like this.
    09-26-15 01:59 AM
    Use the device for longer than 3 weeks.

I type better and faster than I ever have on a touchscreen device. No way I could say that after 3 weeks.
    zombiecupcake and Barbareren like this.
    09-26-15 03:17 AM
    I understand you. The typing is getting faster with time.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 03:42 AM
    Same here, came from a zeeed10 back then and took me deffo more then three weeks
    But now I would never go back (to virtual)
    Also, after a while, you can really blind type, always loved that

Posted from my monster machine, AKA the passport...
    09-26-15 04:11 AM
    Typing 100 words per minute with 100% accuracy. Korean and English.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ: ⓢⓘⓛⓥⓔⓡ
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-26-15 05:53 AM
    Interesting you say that it's big and heavy, OP. In my opinion, the only time I've ever felt it was heavy is whenever I'm on my back in bed, but everywhere else feels solid and not as heavy as expected. Personally, I couldn�t tell much difference between the Zed and the Passport.

But the typing will get better for sure. I'm still a bit slow on the keyboard myself even after a few weeks. Not typing related, but I love the touch-enabled keyboard. I use it surprisingly a lot: scrolling, word flicking, word deletion...and word selection! Not to mention the swiping down on it for symbols and numbers, too.

As for battery...I'll probably eventually get rid of the Tumblr app and use the Web version. In my experience so far in comparison to yours, battery has been a bit less than stellar due to that power hog of an app. The fact it's an Android app is even worse for draining power. Glad you've got a great experience so far with battery life, though!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:00 AM
    I had been using Passport for more than 9 months and now have moved to the Silver Edition as there was nothing like this form factor, so I had to get a face lift and improved keyboard version.

Anyways, even if there are better or faster virtual keyboards out there, nothing beats the feedback and satisfying experience of physical keyboard. Touch typing and typing without looking at the screen (let alone looking at the keyboard) is almost impossible on devices with no physical keyboard. I don't think after getting used to the Passport, I would be able to go back to usual touch only devices. I'm saying this because I do have Galaxy Note Edge as my spare phone.

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-26-15 10:22 AM
    I provide my assessment for those thinking of buying the passport. I bought it coming from a Z30. My preference for a virtual keyboard likely biases my view, so be patient.

My experience :

It's big, wide and heavy. BlackBerry should lighten it if they do a another version.

Posted via CB10
    Big, wide, and heavy is good. It forces you to respect the phone and handle it with care. Scratches and little nicks are OK. Those come with use and add a bit of character to the device. If you drop it or smash it however, it's all on you. Nicks are one thing, clumsiness with the phone however is different. A phone like the Passport is meant to be two-handed and handled with care.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    anon(9155131) likes this.
    09-26-15 03:49 PM
    I dropped my PP the other day naked and it now has a few concrete battle scars. i knew it was coming but what can I say I have been going naked for a week or so and left me sedico case back at the house and I ordered a BodyGlove to see how it feels.

I came from my Z30 which was a beast and loved it but I just love the physical keyboards so I have the PP and Classic.

Passport is for the work week and Classic is for the weekends
    Last edited by texn884; 09-28-15 at 10:25 AM.
    09-28-15 10:14 AM
    3 months and still want a VKB, takes to much pressure to press on the keys. Otherwise better camera software - I have Camera ++, it would be great
    09-28-15 12:09 PM
    Between my defective device and my new replacement, I have about a weeks worth of use on a Passport. This is my first time using a PKB and I think it's awesome.

I think it's impossible to be faster on a PKB than a VKB but some things such as special characters are so much easier. How do you type? Each hand covers about 70% of the keys so I can still type fairly quickly.

Like you, I moved from the Z30 and I think this device is almost better in every regard other than maybe build quality.

I don't think this device feels heavy either. I know it's quite a bit heavier but I was surprised to find that it feels like it weighs about the same in my hand as the Z30.

I hate going back to any other phone now, feels awkward, as if I'm trying to read off a noodle. The form factor is one of the things I like most even though it was my biggest concern prior to owning the device.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 05:08 PM