I picked up my passport after letting it charge for about an hour. When I came to pull the cord off, I noticed it was almost stuck. Closer inspection revealed the charging cable and port were slightly melted together.

And yes, I was using my BlackBerry charger. This won't deter me from the passport. I still love it. Just hope that my first experience with BlackBerry warranty won't be a bad one! I can no longer charge my phone so away for repair it must go!

Any one else have a similar experience?

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 12:04 AM
    Wow that is one freak issue! Good luck!

Posted via Passport - The Beast!
    11-22-14 12:32 AM
    Good luck bro. The possibilities are endless. Nobody's safe with anything in this day and age. I just hope this never happens to any mobile user. Hope you get your claim without much difficulty.
    Regards,

Gautham
    11-22-14 03:54 AM
    Take both devices (passport and charger) to your mobile provider or wherever you bought it for a warranty

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 04:09 AM
    That's what I will do, send em both together

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 08:15 AM
    Hello all,

I had the same thing happen to me, I contacted BlackBerry support. Took them a bit of time but they did replace Phone.
    01-10-16 04:37 AM
    Always do the low voltage USB plug into the device first, then the plug into the power socket. Never the other way around. Charging an accu can cause high current which then causes a spark while plugging in. This spark burns your contacts and can fuse them. Powerless plugging in avoids this spark.
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    01-10-16 06:58 AM
    Always do the low voltage USB plug into the device first, then the plug into the power socket. Never the other way around. Charging an accu can cause high current which then causes a spark while plugging in. This spark burns your contacts and can fuse them. Powerless plugging in avoids this spark.
    You learn something new everyday. Is this really a thing?

Blackberry Passport, Original. Wind Mobile, Toronto.
    01-10-16 08:52 AM
    That's right. This is what they teach at "electric" lessons (in better words: lessons on electricity ;-)).

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 09:02 AM
    Wow, that sucks. I do notice that the charger itself gets pretty hot when charging an almost empty battery. This passport really pull some current when charging.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 11:46 AM
    You learn something new everyday. Is this really a thing?
    You can't outflank physics, the spark is a technical fact. So you must try to avoid the damage. That's why valuable contacts are plated with gold or silver-palladium [1], switches and relays use also an inert gas around the contacts, so they don't burn because there's no air oxygen. Transfering the spark to another point in the system, the power socket, is the easiest way. The power socket is much bigger, this means much more robust than this tiny USB socket, the spark doesn't matter there, it's also much cheaper than your device.

And (I know many of you do this) being lazy and letting the charger plugged in in the power socket all the time is also an idiotic energy eater.

[1] don't mix this statement with golden plugs on HiFi or computer cables, there are also other reasons for gold contacts
    01-11-16 12:28 AM