I was wondering if you can run a Linux chroot on the passport via the android app runtime (maybe use an app like GNUroot or something similar)
    I basically want to buy a passport to use it with a linux chroot with its amazing keyboard (because that's the next best thing after termux- a Linux terminal emulator for android but that one requires 5.0< to work)
    ShalokShalom likes this.
    04-30-17 01:52 PM
    I was wondering if you can run a Linux chroot on the passport via the android app runtime (maybe use an app like GNUroot or something similar)
    I basically want to buy a passport to use it with a linux chroot with its amazing keyboard (because that's the next best thing after termux- a Linux terminal emulator for android but that one requires 5.0< to work)
    I'd wait for a KEYone and put Termux on it, honestly.
    04-30-17 02:49 PM
    Following this !
    04-30-17 03:25 PM
    Too broke for that honestly (a passport can go for as low as 200$, the keyOne is gonna be 600+ shipping here in Egypt)
    04-30-17 04:29 PM
    Update: seems like i misunderstood what the android run time actually was.
    I thought it was more or less full android (which obviously turned out to be wrong)
    Without an android base you cant have a linux chroot, so my dreams are now crushed.
    Ill probably still buy a passport a year or two if i ever stumble upon one very cheaply and just ssh into whatever to use linux with an actual keyboard.
    04-30-17 05:27 PM
    Your wish to have a chroot environment on the passport appears misguided. Android devices run the android runtime environment (in which the apps run) on top of Linux which makes that chroot possible.

On BB10, the android runtime environment is based on the dalvik VM which was ported over to BB10. You don't have a Linux environment underneath in which you coud root; again it's rather bb10!! It's a totally different system which ressemblance stops at its POSIX compliancy, inherited from its QNX legacy. (google bb10 history. Well documented history)

Anyhow.

It is possible to have a terminal session on the bb10 (look on the blackberry store) and/or ssh sessions to Linux servers. But what I get from your post is that you'd like a Linux *sandbox* on top of bb10. Nope. Won't happen.

It's a nice system for ssh, that said

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 09:19 PM
    Your wish to have a chroot environment....
    ...On BB10, the android runtime environment is based on the dalvik VM which was ported over to BB10. ...Anyhow...It is possible to have a terminal session on the bb10 (look on the blackberry store) and/or ssh sessions to Linux servers. But what I get from your post is that you'd like a Linux *sandbox* on top of bb10. Nope. Won't happen.
    It's a nice system for ssh, that said
    Posted via CB10
    However.....if someone (group or individuals) felt like compiling a terminal(non-gui) linux emulator as a bb10 app (in its own sandbox)....that would be interesting...but maybe too big a project?. Is that possible? What would the snags be? How many manhours do you figure that would take (honestly) ? :-)
    05-04-17 01:56 AM
    05-04-17 07:19 AM
    >QNX
    >linux chroot
    Seriously?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 08:29 AM
    As tech articles shows (google it...) bb10 shares some common roots with qnx, and it can't really emulate Linux. Also, the lxrun-like tech on which the android runtime appears to run on is almost certainly not accessible through the bb10 API!

And even then, it wouldn't be a Linux emulator for a chroot-like session. That's just a system call translation layer.

To have a minimal userland Linux would require to run something like containers or full blown Qemu.

I can't see any advantage whatsoever of doing that, unless wanting to run some command line tool written for linux that can't be ported to bb10 through the sdk. The later shouldn’t take a lot of effort while that a Linux emulator could take years of development with very very limited benefit.

Bottom line: no.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 12:06 PM