My passport was flat and the screen was lifting in the lower right hand corner. You could push the screen back down into place. You wouldn't be able to do that if the frame was bent.

Posted via CB10
    That is true. I think it's related to the adhesive used.

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339 
    07-29-15 07:05 PM
    I was torn between 'poor adhesive' and 'bended frame' reasoning... but one thing for sure, 'gravity' plays a major part...

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 08:13 PM
    My passport was flat and the screen was lifting in the lower right hand corner. You could push the screen back down into place. You wouldn't be able to do that if the frame was bent.

Posted via CB10
    Think about what you are saying. How do you know your Passport was flat?

Glass bends. The adhesive will hold bent glass in place but the adhesive faces constant resistance as the glass pulls away from the bent frame. Eventually, the adhesive fails.

The adhesive was never intended to do this.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 06:08 AM
    Think about what you are saying. How do you know your Passport was flat?
    Because having seen all the discussion about this issue before it happened to me, I checked for frame warping by laying the device on a glass surface.

If glass flexed as much as you seem to think, we would have tempered glass screen protector options that could fit all the way to the curved edges of the passport screen.

Not to mention the fact that the screen is more than a sheet of glass. It's glass, LCD, metal frame, etc. And the entire assembly is lifting, or at least the lcd and the glass, not just the glass portion.

Perhaps I'm not the one who should think about what he's saying.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by wtl; 07-30-15 at 10:12 AM.
    07-30-15 07:25 AM
    The point is that the screen does not like being bent. It wants to be flat. It resists the adhesive which keeps it temporarily flush to the bent base.

The outer frame on the Passport is not the thing that makes the device rigid. When you remove the outer frame from the inner frame (it is only attached by screws) it is very flimsy. The inner frame is the thing that gets bent and you can't tell if it is bent or flat unless you disassemble the whole Passport. Frankly, it would be hard to tell if it is bent even if you disassembled the device.

You would need a super duper adhesive to keep glass flush to a bent frame. Over time, it will fail.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 12:40 PM
    OK so if the frame is not bent or twisted then why would the screen lift up? Doesn't it want to stay flat? I'm thinking that what the screen really does not want to do is stretch so if the frame twists in any way then the glue has to give or the glass rips or the frame would actually bend.
    07-31-15 02:02 AM
    OK so if the frame is not bent or twisted then why would the screen lift up? Doesn't it want to stay flat? I'm thinking that what the screen really does not want to do is stretch so if the frame twists in any way then the glue has to give or the glass rips or the frame would actually bend.
    Exactly.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 06:54 AM
    What you guys are claiming is that the frame is warped, causing the screen to not fit flush, but one can push the screen back down and it will hold for a time? You do realize you are, by extension, arguing that the lcd and glass is flexible enough to be temporarily warped just like the frame, but then will straighten itself back out?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 08:40 AM
    What you guys are claiming is that the frame is warped, causing the screen to not fit flush, but one can push the screen back down and it will hold for a time? You do realize you are, by extension, arguing that the lcd and glass is flexible enough to be temporarily warped just like the frame, but then will straighten itself back out?

Posted via CB10
    Think about the nature of the screen as opposed to the nature of the frame.

The screen is pliable. The frame is rigid. It all follows from there.

The glass can be warped and held into place by adhesive. The screen will constantly apply pressure and eventually the adhesive will fail.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 09:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    That actually is the nature of something like glass. It will flex to a point under pressure without breaking, but will always spring back to its original state unless excessive heat is applied.

The metal frame of the phone, however, will stay bent if it is bent. The glass reacts more like a spring.

And I think the problem can be both heat and a twisted frame. If the frame is twisted, it will naturally lift at the weakest glued point, and that would be the hot top corner.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 02:35 PM
110 ... 345