Hi all,

I have a question for those who have the Instagram and/or eBay apps installed on Passport: Have you been able to get the LED notification lights to work with them?

I've been able to install both of those apps on my Passport SE, and everything works well for the most part. I used Cobalt's instructions, and both Instagram & eBay installed correctly (along with my other Android apps) -- and I do see alert messages for both apps when I swipe open the Hub. Also, on the lock screen, the 'bell' icon does show that I have messages for those apps. However, I noticed that although I've gone into 'Settings' to use LED notification lights for Instagram & eBay, I never see any blinking lights for either of them.

I searched through the Crackberry forums to find out more, but so far, I haven't found any answers related to this. I even asked over at Cobalt's main Google thread, but haven't received any replies yet. So, I was wondering if anyone with a Passport could give some feedback on this. If I can't get the LED lights to work for these apps, I can live with it, but I'd like to see if I can get them to work, if others have been successful. Thanks!
    05-31-16 05:43 PM
    How was it configured? Is the LED notifications overwriting somewhere? Did you reboot?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    06-01-16 01:13 PM
    How was it configured? Is the LED notifications overwriting somewhere? Did you reboot?

Thanks for your reply! Wasn't sure if anyone could answer. Regarding configuration, I just went into "Settings" and configured both Instagram and eBay to blink in different colors when I get a notification. I tried different things after installing Instagram & eBay, including:

• Restarting the device
    • Completely turning off the device, then powering on again
    • Started fresh by wiping the device to factory settings/original OS, and reinstalling all apps (not from backup)

I did this all about a month ago when I first received the device and was tinkering with everything. I have no idea how to tell if LED notifications are overwriting somewhere -- if you can give tips on that, then that would be awesome.

Otherwise, LED notifications work well for everything else on my phone, such as for e-mails, text messages, and other miscellaneous alerts, including notifying me when Blackberry Blend and/or WiFi calling is connected and available. But I just can't get the LED lights to blink when Instagram and eBay app alerts come in. I can see the messages in the Hub, but no blinking alert lights. Have you been able to get yours to work?
    06-01-16 01:31 PM
    I don't use any of those two unfortunately.

My next guess is to check if both are able to provide notifications.

Under default settings, do both apps give you notifications? If yes, change one of them first and see.

Maybe there's a limitation on the number of Android apps giving out custom notifications?

06-02-16 02:38 PM
    I don't use any of those two unfortunately.

My next guess is to check if both are able to provide notifications.

Under default settings, do both apps give you notifications? If yes, change one of them first and see.

Maybe there's a limitation on the number of Android apps giving out custom notifications?

Oh, I see. Do you happen to use any other android apps that are successful in showing LED notifications on your Passport?

I went through default settings on my phone, and yes -- I'm able to set LED notifications for both Instagram and eBay, and I did play around with them -- different colors, vibrate, etc. Still, no dice in getting them to light up and work, no matter what I try.

My only guess at this point is that maybe LED notification lights aren't a sure thing when installing android apps through Google play. In Cobalt's original post, I remember how he noted that not all app functions may work correctly after installation. *shrugs*, I don't know. At least I still see alert messages in my hub for my android apps.

Anyway, if you've been able to get LED notifications to successfully work for you on other android apps that you've installed, I'd love to know about your experience with those. Thanks!
    06-03-16 11:13 AM
    I do have Android apps installed, but not the Cobalt way.

I disabled most notifications for those apps, and it works. Can you disable notifications?

For those that notifies me, e.g. WeChat, it works fine.

There's also in-app notification settings, it's possible that it is overwriting somewhere. And maybe BlackBerry got 'confused' which to run?

06-03-16 12:50 PM
    I do have Android apps installed, but not the Cobalt way.

I disabled most notifications for those apps, and it works. Can you disable notifications?

For those that notifies me, e.g. WeChat, it works fine.

There's also in-app notification settings, it's possible that it is overwriting somewhere. And maybe BlackBerry got 'confused' which to run?

Which route did you take to install your apps, since it's not Cobalt's way?

Also, yes -- I'm able to disable notifications, no problem there. Perhaps you're right: Something might be overwriting somewhere, but it's weird because I can't pinpoint it. I don't think it has to do with the OS because I successfully installed all of the apps when I first bought the phone a month ago. And then I completely wiped the phone to factory settings with no backup and started from scratch -- even with that, I still couldn't get LED lights to blink as notifications for android apps like Instagram & eBay.

Ah well...I'll try asking once more on the original Cobalt thread to see if anyone can give more feedback. Otherwise, I'll just throw in the towel on this one. But thanks for trying to work with me on this issue.
    06-03-16 06:11 PM
    I only have three android apps on my Q10: Skype, another IM client called Trillian, and AIM. Skype is from BlackBerry World. I have its LED set to Cyan, and it works, however its vibrate notification doesn't. Trillian and AIM are both from the Amazon appstore, and the LED for each doesn't work. I take it to mean that android apps generally are half baked with some features that don't work at all.
    06-03-16 08:06 PM
    Half-baked, possibly...

I install Android apps via Baidu's app center. It just works after installing their apk. It's non-English.

Maybe the Amazon ones aren't good enough? Not updated?

06-04-16 11:37 AM
    I only have three android apps on my Q10: Skype, another IM client called Trillian, and AIM. Skype is from BlackBerry World. I have its LED set to Cyan, and it works, however its vibrate notification doesn't. Trillian and AIM are both from the Amazon appstore, and the LED for each doesn't work. I take it to mean that android apps generally are half baked with some features that don't work at all.
    Hey, thanks for sharing! I think you're experiencing the same thing as I am. At least I know I'm not alone in this problem, and that makes me feel a bit better. But it's a pity that we can't get all of the setting options to work. Oh well. I still love my Passport, though.

Half-baked, possibly...

I install Android apps via Baidu's app center. It just works after installing their apk. It's non-English.

Maybe the Amazon ones aren't good enough? Not updated?

Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

After reading TheAuthority's reply, I'm thinking it's just an android issue -- hit or miss, regardless of whether the app is downloaded from Amazon, Google Play, or elsewhere. My eBay app is from Amazon, but my Instagram app is from Google Play; I can't get LED notifications to work with either, so yeah...I think 'TheAuthority' is right: Android apps can be half-baked, and some may work fully on the Passport, while others may not.
    06-04-16 02:14 PM
    I have same problem! Ebay app used to make sound when I sell something. And other sound when I get notification from ebay etc. And after update I dont hear any sound. And icannot custom select different led as ebay does not appear on selection....
    Many android apps works but not 100%
    I hope cobalt can fix those.....

Posted via CB10
    06-04-16 05:57 PM
    All the more why software needs continual refinement.

I think ART 4.3 will last for a while still. Question would be, will BB10 continue to fix bugs and updates that also relates to ART? I sure hope so.

06-05-16 05:31 AM