Passport launch day!

Here is an interesting article about the history of the Passport, this design has been kicking around for YEARS before it got the green light!

With Passport, BlackBerry bets on 'polarizing' device - The Globe and Mail
    Uzi and Aneres11 like this.
    09-24-14 03:14 AM
    Great reporting by The Globe and Mail.

Interesting: "Most people internally reacted negatively to it."

That it was finally greenlit now suggests that it truly is a Hail Mary pass for BlackBerry, at least as far as their presence in the smartphone industry goes. The thing is, "polarizing" can't be just a euphemism for "provoking ridicule or disgust." Beyond their rosy press releases, BlackBerry needs to find a legitimate focus-group-defying audience for their new flagship device, and fast, before it gets completely buried in negative press.
    09-24-14 03:33 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    True leaders don't follow... they create a new path... their own.....

This is such a moment...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 04:36 AM
    Heinz followed apple.Chen the leader lead BlackBerry

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    09-24-14 04:38 AM
    I really enjoyed the article, and it makes me look forward all the more to the phone.

They're trying something different here, and it isn't just for the sake of being different. There are some real, functional benefits to this design. I get that it's a different look, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I applaud BlackBerry for trying something risky. I hope the gamble pays off.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-24-14 04:44 AM
    I agree with Thunderbuck. In the end they started laying the first stones with the BB10 QWERTYs and their (still) odd 1:1 ratio. I was skeptical at first but now I enjoy the constant display of contents on my Q10. Combine that with a (much) larger screen and twice the resolution really brings the concept up to the next level. That combination is for me the number one point why I am interested in the Passport.

So if you have a 1:1 display, why not make a device with a similar formfactor? They now created an odd looking keyboard, however it turns out this keyboard brings the most innovative stuff since multiple years to the traditional physical keyboard range of devices, by creating almost a hybrid between physical and virtual input - plus making the keyboard act like a trackpad. That area is not "wasted" anymore for pure text input but you can actually navigate with it.

I agree though with the initial reactions to such a device. Just need to look back at myself seeing the first Passport pictures, I thought the device was too odd, I'd never be interested in such a crippled thing. Now, after we got more and more details about the whole design concept, I am very excited trying this new Berry out myself. BlackBerry needs to get everything right with marketing of this device. They'll need to highlight the strengths of this new formfactor, start spreading out target users and show off the benefits of using the Passport over the common iPhones and Galaxys out there.

Thanks for the article btw. I never thought the design concept has been around for such a long time! A brave step for Chen in giving it the green light, I wish him and his whole Team BlackBerry all the best with today's opportunity in bringing this Passport to the world.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-24-14 05:12 AM