Many have voiced their opinions of not liking the font on the Passport. I don't like it either.

My suggestion is that BlackBerry simply use the more bold looking font on the Q10 and scale it up a bit to fit the larger Passport keys.

Does this make better sense or am I way off base here?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:38 AM
    Many have voiced their opinions of not liking the font on the Passport. I don't like it either.

My suggestion is that BlackBerry simply use the more bold looking font on the Q10 and scale it up a bit to fit the larger Passport keys.

Does this make better sense or am I way off base here?

Posted via CB10
    Th problem with this complaint is that everyone complaining has NEVER used the device.

Your best bet is to wait before making judgments about how usable the keyboard is - BlackBerry knows what their doing, wouldn't you think? They are after all the pioneers of the best mobile keyboards in existence.

Besides, I haven't seen one complaint from a user of the device - it's a learning curve, but it's a superbly easy transition.

That's only fair, though you have to rights to dislike the appearance if you see fit

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 07-28-14 at 10:19 AM.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    07-28-14 10:06 AM
    Th problem with this complaint is that everyone complaining has NEVER used the device.

Your best bet is to wait before making judgments about how usable the keyboard is - BlackBerry knows what their doing, wouldn't you think? They are after all the pioneers of the best mobile keyboards in existence.

Besides, I haven't seen one complaint from a user of the device - it's a learning curve, but it's a superbly easy transition.

That's only fair, though you have to rights to dislike the appearance if you see fit

Posted via CB10
    ^^ This

Drooling for BlackBerry Passport!
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-28-14 10:59 AM
    Fair enough...all I am saying is that when you compare the font on the Q10 and the font on the pics that have been made available of the Passport, I think most would agree that the Q10 font is much more appealing as it stands out more and has that BlackBerry"look".

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:54 AM
    And just to clarify...this has nothing to do with how the "keyboard works"...just how the "fonts look". A simple cosmetic gripe, not a functional one.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:55 AM
    And just to clarify...this has nothing to do with how the "keyboard works"...just how the "fonts look". A simple cosmetic gripe, not a functional one.
    Don't try, they are not trying to read your comments.
    byrdbrained likes this.
    07-28-14 04:35 PM
    Don't try, they are not trying to read your comments.
    What is that supposed to mean?

The Passport is supposed to be something totally new, which it is - hence its unique design. But it doesn't lack the 'BlackBerry' look - given the keyboard's frets much alike the Q10, key definition, and recognizable logo. It's not meant to look like a Q10, but it doesn't not have similar elements.

We agreed with the OP - "you have to rights to dislike the appearance if you see fit " as i said above... so....?
    07-28-14 05:58 PM
    I agree 100% with OP. The font that is printed on the physical keys looks stretched. Like when you paste a picture into Microsoft Word and change the size without scaling it properly. It looks sloppy, and photoshopped. They just need to square up the fonts. Would take all but 10 min.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    07-28-14 06:06 PM
    I agree 100% with OP. The font that is printed on the physical keys looks stretched. Like when you paste a picture into Microsoft Word and change the size without scaling it properly. It looks sloppy, and photoshopped. They just need to square up the fonts. Would take all but 10 min.
    I don't really understand that, given how well formatted the font is on the wider keys.

They offer great visibility, and are pretty perfectly squared according to the key definition if you ask me...

Please elaborate on how this doesn't fit a definition of "squared" - are you aware that this is the SAME font (Slate Pro) that is across all BlackBerry 10 devices?

This is all opinion based, both ways. Not everyone is going to like it, but I can't agree with "sloppy" by any means of the word.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Suggestion-passport_hands_on_15_final.jpg  
    07-28-14 06:29 PM
    I dunno how to explain it. But it doesn't look right to me. And I'm not the only one to think so:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=942288

Who knows. Some will likely see it, some won't. But for me it is glaringly obvious.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    07-28-14 07:13 PM
    Look at the "O", it's the most clear...
    07-28-14 07:43 PM
    Look at the "O", it's the most clear...
    Again, it's the same font across all BlackBerry 10 devices.

My point being is that your problem isn't just with the Passport, you're having an issue with BlackBerry's chosen font.

It may seem stretched in images, but nothing does a device more justice than seeing it in person. It's more than likely that the larger keys, and single characters per key may give you the appearance of your formed opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:01 PM
    Again, it's the same font across all BlackBerry 10 devices.

My point being is that your problem isn't just with the Passport, you're having an issue with BlackBerry's chosen font.

It may seem stretched in images, but nothing does a device more justice than seeing it in person. It's more than likely that the larger keys, and single characters per key may give you the appearance of your formed opinion.

Posted via CB10
    The "O" doesn't look like that at all on the Q10 I'm holding :S

07-28-14 10:10 PM
    The "O" doesn't look like that at all on the Q10 I'm holding :S
    Same font - I know, pictures don't do it justice.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:19 PM
    Same font - I know, pictures don't do it justice.

Posted via CB10
    I think what they're trying to say is that the font, while being the same as other BB10 devices, is simply stretched out.

They could've scaled the font to make it match the height and width, but it seems they only made it wider and 'forgot' about the height.

Still hoping though that this is not the final design and we'll see a smoother looking Passport.
    07-28-14 10:32 PM
    I think what they're trying to say is that the font, while being the same as other BB10 devices, is simply stretched out.

They could've scaled the font to make it match the height and width, but it seems they only made it wider and 'forgot' about the height.

Still hoping though that this is not the final design and we'll see a smoother looking Passport.
    This! +1

07-28-14 10:42 PM
    A simple example :

While the width stays the same, i've heightened the buttons by 25 %, i think it looks more natural and less 'awkward' this way.

Don't mind the crappy Photoshop job ;- )

Keyboard Suggestion-blackberry-passport-21-copy.jpg
    07-28-14 10:42 PM
    A simple example :

While the width stays the same, i've heightened the buttons by 25 %, i think it looks more natural and less 'awkward' this way. They were expanded for a reason, and if it isn't blazingly obvious to you, then you won't understand.

Don't mind the crappy Photoshop job ;- )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-passport-21 copy.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	287559
    Like I've always reiterated - until you use the device, you won't understand, or come to agree with the design choices.

The design is final on the Passport now, by the way.

In addition, I don't think you considered how one would type on the device with the keys so low, as you've shown. It is unnatural, and would cause strain for the user. This is why there is a gap along the bottom of the device; to elevate it to a natural flow for typing, secondary to its main purposes. The gaps at the side are also necessary for many reasons as I've explained before too.

My opinion to the folks that keep making posts about an unreleased, and never used device: BlackBerry knows what they're doing, so quit the complaining until you have the device in your possession. Only then can you have a concrete argument against any design choice, including the font or key size.

I'm afraid I can't continue to explain this all over CrackBerry. It should be common sense by now not to complain about something you don't have, but don't take that opinion personally. Forums like this serve no purpose until the device is released to the public - it's all conjecture and silly waste of time posts until then.

The second post in the forum says it all, in a concise fashion.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 07-28-14 at 11:33 PM.
    07-28-14 11:17 PM
    Like I've always reiterated - until you use the device, you won't understand, or come to agree with the design choices.

The design is final on the Passport now, by the way.

In addition, I don't think you considered how one would type on the device with the keys so low, as you've shown. It is unnatural, and would cause strain for the user. This is why there is a gap along the bottom of the device to elevate it to a natural flow for typing, secondary to its main purposes. The gaps at the side are also necessary for many reasons.

My opinion - BlackBerry knows what they're doing, so quit the complaining until you have the device in your possession. Only then can you have a concrete argument against any design choice.

I'm afraid I can't continue to explain this all over CrackBerry. It should be common sense by now, but don't take that opinion personally. Forums like this serve no purpose until the device is released to the public - it's all conjecture until then.

Posted via CB10
    I think you don't really understand what i did there. I just increased the height of the keys by 25 percent. It made the 'gap along the bottom' disappear, so you'll have to use your imagination for that one.

This thread is simply about the way the fonts are printed on the keys of the Passport, and since you've stated that the design of the Passport is final, i can understand that some people don't like the way it looks. What does it matter if i were to hold it in my hand or if i'm looking at a picture, the font isn't going to look less awkward when i hold the device in my hand ( if final ). The phone would have been a perfect 10 imo, if they hadn't messed with the keyboard, with the whole 4-to-3 row and odd looking widescreen buttons, except for the gestures, those i am going to enjoy.
    07-28-14 11:33 PM
    I think you don't really understand what i did there. I just increased the height of the keys by 25 percent. It made the 'gap along the bottom' disappear, so you'll have to use your imagination for that one.

This thread is simply about the way the fonts are printed on the keys of the Passport, and since you've stated that the design of the Passport is final, i can understand that some people don't like the way it looks. What does it matter if i were to hold it in my hand or if i'm looking at a picture, the font isn't going to look less awkward when i hold the device in my hand ( if final ). The phone would have been a perfect 10 imo, if they hadn't messed with the keyboard, with the whole 4-to-3 row and odd looking widescreen buttons, except for the gestures, those i am going to enjoy.
    I completely understood what you did - I can read.

Had you said to "use your imagination for the bottom gap" Then we could have done so, and it wouldn't have been questioned.

Your post perfectly proves my point - these forums are all conjecture, and baseless opinions at best. When you have the device in your hands, then we'll care to hear you out.

Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

Speaking of wasting time, I'll leave it at that. I'm not one for monotonous conversing over someone else's pre-formed conclusions over something they've never even used.

I hope you both end up with Passports this September, sincerely.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:40 PM
    I completely understood what you did - I can read.

Had you said to "use your imagination for the bottom gap" Then we could have done so, and it wouldn't have been questioned.

Your post perfectly proves my point - these forums are all conjecture, and baseless opinions at best. When you have the device in your hands, then we'll care to hear you out.

Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

Speaking of wasting time, I'll leave it at that. I'm not one for monotonous conversing over someone else's pre-formed conclusions over something they've never even used.

I hope you both end up with Passports this September, sincerely.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. Hold on here skippy. Have YOU used the device? Because you're pretty much trying to say no one can have an opinion until they use it. Which is ridiculous. I've never used the Porche design BB's either but I think they look sexy. I've never had a million bucks, but I think that'd be neat. And I've never met the leader of North Korea but still think he's nuts.

07-29-14 12:53 AM
    The picture i made was meant to show the FONT on the buttons, did you see me post anything about the friggin' ergonomics of the device? The whole thread is about the FONT, it's too WIDE, so i decided to up it 25 percent so it's less WIDE, and you're nagging about the bottom thing missing? I'm really sorry, next time i'll put a disclaimer up for people that have a difficult time understanding that a post inside a thread is meant to coincide with the OP's topic.

So this guy is talking about the font, and your reply is that he shouldn't complain because he doesn't own a Passport? Are you serious? It's his opinion which is based on how the font looks, what the hell kind of difference would it make if you were to actually own one?

If i told you i didn't like the shade of red on Ferrari Enzo, would you tell me i could only comment on it if i were to drive or own one?

Your comment makes absolutely no sense my friend. Guy is talking about appearance, you're basically saying people that actually own the device should have a right to speak and comment. If you don't agree with the OP, that's possible, but who are you to tell people when or what to comment?

Posted via CB10
    campbecw likes this.
    07-29-14 12:58 AM
    The complaint about the keyboard lettering is actually stemming from an optical illusion. The keys are not flat and they do not use the classic frets. They are actually wedge shaped, taller at the top of the key than in the front. This shape introduces perspective when photographing which messes things up. Look carefully at the keyboard photos and you'll see the wedge design.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-29-14 09:50 AM
    You don't know how light works...
    07-29-14 10:56 AM
    Keyboard is fine. Bigger keys would probably be weird and unnecessary.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-29-14 11:13 AM
26 12