Although I really want this device, I am just going to say what everyone is thinking which is namely that the lack of an edge to edge keyboard is odd looking and a waste of space. All the high end Qwerty's since at least the Bold 9000 have had edge to edge keyboards and the lack of one mars an otherwise very tight design. To me based on what we've seen the keyboard is ever so slightly narrower than even the screen leaving an asymmetrical appearance.
    07-22-14 08:00 PM
    Well, you are the expert. It looks fine to me.

Posted via CB10
    Oiram Asojonih likes this.
    07-22-14 08:23 PM
    Although I really want this device, I am just going to say what everyone is thinking which is namely that the lack of an edge to edge keyboard is odd looking and a waste of space. All the high end Qwerty's since at least the Bold 9000 have had edge to edge keyboards and the lack of one mars an otherwise very tight design. To me based on what we've seen the keyboard is ever so slightly narrower than even the screen leaving an asymmetrical appearance.
    These bars are greatly misunderstood, as they are essential, and have been discussed a few times before here in the forums.

They are part of the touch sensitivity on the keyboard, and also align the keys with the screen (Take a closer look, you'll see it), and having this gap allows you less travel for your fingers, as it's a wide device.

I'm sure you'll see and official explanation soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 08:24 PM
    Everyone?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 08:48 PM
    These bars are greatly misunderstood, as they are essential, and have been discussed a few times before here in the forums.

They are part of the touch sensitivity on the keyboard, and also align the keys with the screen (Take a closer look, you'll see it), and having this gap allows you less travel for your fingers, as it's a wide device.

I'm sure you'll see and official explanation soon.

Posted via CB10
    How are they part of the touch sensitive keyboard when they aren't part of the keyboard? This was mentioned as a criticism in the Crackberry pre review and I can't help but agree with it.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:16 PM
    How are they part of the touch sensitive keyboard when they aren't part of the keyboard? This was mentioned as a criticism in the Crackberry pre review and I can't help but agree with it.

Posted via CB10
    They are integral to the touch sensitivity: That's what I said above. Don't think they aren't essential, is my point - if you don't want them, then forget about having a touch sensitive keyboard with today's tech. Think of them as receivers which enable the physical surface to receive touch feedback.

Also, like stated above, they keyboard is designed to align with the screen. I don't see the reason to complain over something necessary... frankly, it's not that big of deal in appearance - but it's all opinion based in the end, and this forum is proof. (Not Belittling Your Post, Just Stating facts)

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:32 PM
    They are integral to the touch sensitivity. That's what I said above. Don't think they aren't essential, is my point - if you don't want them, then forget about having a touch sensitive keyboard with today's tech.

Also, like stated above, they keyboard is designed to align with the screen. I don't see the reason to complain over something necessary... frankly, it's not that big of deal in appearance - but it's all opinion based in the end, and this forum is proof. (Not Belittling Your Post, Just Stating facts)

Posted via CB10
    Please explain their function to me then other than by saying it's integral

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:36 PM
    Please explain their function to me then other than by saying it's integral

Posted via CB10
    As I said - think of them as touch-receiving bars, which are absolutely essential for the keyboard to be touch sensitive (feedback sensors)

In addition, they serve a purpose to align the keyboard with the edges of the screen: without these, it would make the typing experience for more awkward, as you'd need to travel further for the edge keys since the device is so wide. Your hands would simply be tired from over use. Having these bars means you don't need to travel as far to type, meaning the average user will be able to type faster, and more comfortably.

I understand not understanding the need for them, since BlackBerry hasn't touched on them officially.

The Z30 was also penalized by some for its silver bar, despite it having purpose.

In addition,

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:44 PM
    As I said - think of them as touch-receiving bars, which are absolutely essential for the keyboard to be touch sensitive.

In addition, they serve a purpose to align the keyboard with the edges of the screen: without these, it would make the typing experience for more awkward, as you'd need to travel further for the edge keys since the device is so wide. Your hands would simply be tired from over use. Having these bars means you don't need to travel as far to type, meaning the average user will be able to type faster, and more comfortably.

I understand not understanding the need for them, since BlackBerry hasn't touched on them officially.

The Z30 was also penalized by some for its silver bar, despite it having purpose.

In addition,

Posted via CB10
    What was the Z30 silverbar for?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:46 PM
    What was the Z30 silverbar for?

Posted via CB10
    Since the device has a height to it, it allows the user visual confidence that the device is in its proper orientation - in addition, some Paratek antenna technology is said to be integrated into the chin, and surrounding bezel which is why the Z30 has terrific signal capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:52 PM