Just watched a video of an interview for John Chen, in which he mentioned that the ratio of the numbers of Classic and Passport sold are roughly 2:1.

And Classic has only just gotten into retail channel.

I would take my Passport over a Classic any day, but it looks like wee are the minority among minorities.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-29-15 11:23 PM
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000366123

03-29-15 11:25 PM
    And I wonder which one gives better margin... Classic if I have to guess.

03-29-15 11:27 PM
    Just watched a video of an interview for John Chen, in which he mentioned that the ratio of the numbers of Classic and Passport sold are roughly 2:1.

I would take my Passport over a Classic any day, but it looks like wee are the minority among minorities.

Remember, in the US the Classic is being sold in both Verizon and AT&T, while the Passport is AT&T only and supply is scarce. Additionally, both phones have only been in US carriers about a month or two. Give it a little time. I'm actually surprised the ratio isn't larger. Nostalgia in the Classic versus New/Unique Passport. It's like ordering food you know you like or trying something new and maybe wasting a meal. Some people like comfort, others take risk.

Posted via my AT&T BlackBerry Classic
    03-29-15 11:31 PM
    And I wonder which one gives better margin... Classic if I have to guess.

Passport gives the higher margin it was mentioned as the reason for this quarters higher margins on hardware sales which was a huge plus and unknown and unexpected to analysts - especially the hater kind (shorties).

Of course the classic will sell more. I'm just more surprised that the initial ratio is not 4:1 or higher. Passport is a very innovative and unique device for a VERY VERY specific target market. I feel the classic is for the average keyboard lovers and the Passport is for the upper echelon!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-29-15 11:32 PM
    Passport gives the higher margin it was mentioned as the reason for this quarters higher margins on hardware sales which was a huge plus and unknown and unexpected to analysts - especially the hater kind (shorties).

Posted via CB10
    Passport has much better specs, and I assume smaller volume too, that usually means higher manufacturing cost, how come it has better margin? Is it because of the 100 bucks price difference?

And you guys are right, 2:1 ratio between a mid tier device and a high end device, the number isn't bad for Passport.

03-29-15 11:47 PM
    Well the classic is made by Foxconn I think

And the passport actually by BlackBerry, so that would give it a better margin

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 11:51 PM
    Passport has much better specs, and I assume smaller volume too, that usually means higher manufacturing cost, how come it has better margin? Is it because of the 100 bucks price difference?

And you guys are right, 2:1 ratio between a mid tier device and a high end device, the number isn't bad for Passport.

Actually the price difference is $200... that should be more than enough to cover the difference in manufacturing costs of these two devices and give Passport an upper hand in profit margin.

03-30-15 12:02 AM
    I personally don't care which ones sell better. I just want to see a comeback from BlackBerry hardware business.
    03-30-15 12:04 AM
    Same here. I hope they get to make Z50 a reality.

Blacklatino and david7saad like this.
    03-30-15 12:14 AM
    The classic is 50 dollars on a 2 year plan. Passport 199. Most people will go for the cheaper cost. I luv my passport
    03-30-15 12:14 AM
    So do I. No regrets at all! To each his own.

Posted via Passport  The Beast!
    03-30-15 12:22 AM
    I would say better margins on the Classic because the parts on the Passport are much more expensive. I think BB made Classic with cheap internals to move more of them, whereas the passport is the real premium/flagship device.
    03-30-15 12:43 AM
    I would dare to say that both could complement each other. The classic for situations where portability and risk of loss might be a concern (sports, trekking, traveling, etc. ) and the Passport for work and more work. If I could I would get a classic, however the specs lag too much behind the Passport.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    03-30-15 12:44 AM
    I personally don't care which ones sell better. I just want to see a comeback from BlackBerry hardware business.
    yep same here as long as they are selling that's the main thing
    03-30-15 12:45 AM

Of course the classic will sell more. I'm just more surprised that the initial ratio is not 4:1 or higher. Passport is a very innovative and unique device for a VERY VERY specific target market. I feel the classic is for the average keyboard lovers and the Passport is for the upper echelon!

Posted via CB10
    I'm also quite surprised at this ratio. The Classic is a phone that was expected to be sold in fleets while the Passport is more of a special order device. Then again, fleet sales aren't really 'rush to buy at launch' whereas the Passport was. I expect the Passport will continue to sell (hopefully in higher quantities now with AT&T) and the Classic will get a big boost this next quarter.
    Who knows though, really?
    With a bit of advertising, even the Leap could outsell them all 20:1.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    irweezyy and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    03-30-15 12:57 AM
    And he doesn't want to give the number of sold passports?
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    03-30-15 02:34 AM

That is why we are unique

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 05:11 AM
    The OP is bringing attention to them as consumer devices. They're not.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Blacklatino like this.
    03-30-15 06:14 AM
    I think Chen is speaking about both consumer and corporate markets. For instance in my workplace I have seen loads of classics being used by senior members, however no Passports except for myself and one of my Colleagues.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016
    03-30-15 06:42 AM
    The ratio he is giving is of sales "right now."

Passport has been on the market longer. It is expected that it would sell less than the Classic, a newer device.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-30-15 06:44 AM
    I tried both phones at my local AT&T Store. I then went home and ordered the original Passport because:
    1. I like the cutting edge square design rather than the watered down curved edge "I am a bold on steroids" look promoted by AT&T.
    2. I purchased mine with a $100 off the sale price coupon so I got the Original for $499. Sure beats AT&T'S price of $649.
    3. I didn't want to reward AT&T for being such donkeys in delaying the release of the Passport in the USA.

Of the two phones, the Passport called me more than the Classic. Love the Passport's innovative design and features. The classic looked too much like that which was, not that which is ahead.
    Posted via CB10
    Antonio Bruno1 likes this.
    03-30-15 06:56 AM
    The Passport has still a good room for manoeuvre for its pricing, the specs are very good and consumers could have a renewal of interest once it is priced more competitively.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 06:56 AM
    For communications-oriented professionals who primarily need their phones for reading, writing, editing and talking, the Classic is an awesome tool, and the specs are excellent for that use case

I understand that we Passport lovers might struggle with that concept, but that's why BlackBerry released two devices.

Posted via CB10
    lactose and Zeridialous like this.
    03-30-15 10:04 AM
    I would have thought that also. I think Passport is definitely not everyone's taste, but isn't intended to be either. Even pubs that don't normally like BlackBerry phones applaud it for being "innovative" and "different". But reaction to it is definitely polarizing.

Whereas the Classic looks like a BlackBerry 10 9900 phone, more or less.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-30-15 10:09 AM
67 123