All,
    I picked up a backup Passport recently. It was delivered today.

I'm not sure I'll open the box as the seller has a policy that the item must be returned in the same condition it was received, not used or altered in any way. - first "hmmmmm"

There is an unlock code that is taped to the box.

Second, "hmmmmmm"... Is that how unlocked phones are shipped?

This thing looks spanking brand new... and I'm not one to be prone to suspect, and I'm also not in the habit of tossing $200 down the commode.

If I'm reading the policy correctly, I truly cannot cut the tape on the box. :-/

Seems odd to me. I have sent the seller (whose rating on ebay is whacko-high) for clarity. Until I hear back, I'm not opening it.

Input on the whole unlock code, appreciated. It's been sold as "unlocked", but I still (if I keep it) have to enter the provided code. I asked the seller if the phone needs an unlock code, to which carrier or network is it locked.

Are there descriptors in the model nomenclature? Does the PRD number read differently for factory-unlocked phones?

From the box:
    PRD-59182-037
    Model: RGY181LW

Made in Mexico 6
    For BlackBerry Canada

Tips appreciated!
    Last edited by StringDriver; 02-27-17 at 09:24 PM.
    02-27-17 08:15 PM
    It seems like you got a carrier phone with a unlock code included. Factory unlocked phone is unlocked right out of the box.
    02-27-17 08:18 PM
    Sounds like a carrier locked replacement phone. The seller likely stated unlocked since he was including the unlock code.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:31 PM
    The problem with a carrier-locked phone, as many have experienced, is the updates may or may not flow to the phone. AT&T is the carrier I'm currently with, and they couldn't care less about BlackBerry OS10 updates.
    I'm thinking I may simply return to the seller. It sounds kind of bush-league to me, yet, I'm not overreacting. I want to learn a bit more from those with more experience than I.
    02-27-17 08:37 PM