The problem with plasmas and why they wen out thanks to regulation, at least in the EU is because they're extremely power-hungry.

Posted via CB10
    Plasmas were phased out by TV manufacturers because of 4K as it is too expensive to make in that resolution. Plasmas also don't show well beside LCD TVs in brightly lit showrooms as shops crank the brightness of LCDs to an unnatural 100% which looks good at the store but not practical at home. If showrooms were dark, consumers will see the quality difference between Plasmas and LCDs. It's not even close in terms of black level, contrast and refresh rate.

OLED is the closest to Plasma for TVs. As for phones, OLED screens are pretty bright. Note 4 has 750 nits compared to the Passport's 606 nits.
    07-20-15 08:40 AM
    For those that mentioned burn-in for OLED phones, that will only happen if you keep your phone in same static screen for 5 to 6 hours. Most users, however, will have a screen time-out after 1 minute to save power. Even if your screen time-out is 15 minutes it's not enough to cause burn-in.

Your phone will likely run out of power by the time screen burn-in occurs anyway so it's unlikely to happen.
    07-20-15 09:03 AM
    To me, AMOLED vs LCD is as simple as this

At night, AMOLED is nicer, deeper blacks, no color bleeding. During the day, LED is nicer, it's much brighter and easier to see especially in bright sunlight
    This is exactly right.

The quality of screens of all kinds can be outstanding now.

I'm partial to Amoled. I like the inky blacks and the fact that no backlight means it is better for battery life.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 10:41 AM
    To me is simple as this..

LCD at night, LCD at day. So, no to AMOLED. Lol

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-20-15 11:36 AM
    I think AMOLED has improved already. Why not give it a try again. Especially for the upcoming Slider phone. .

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | Globe PH
    Agreed. AMOLED screen technology has grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple of years. Some like AMOLED screens and others do not. As always, it comes down to preference. But for me personally, I would like to see another BlackBerry device with an AMOLED screen.
    07-20-15 11:48 AM
    There was an in depth review of color accuracy, and the Classic had the most neutral color temperature and accuracy. There are threads about it on Crackberry, I'll have to dig up the site.
    Ok, why don't you come back when you have some actual evidence to back up your statements. Until then, your claims are completely baseless.
    07-20-15 12:50 PM
    I was just thinking about this, looking at my passport, side by side with Z30 and Z10, and I realized the colors are nowhere near vibrant as Z30 and nowhere near accurate as Z10.
    So they tried to do in between but I think they failed.. Z10 had amazingly accurate color production with nice details and Z30 had popping colors like samsung with nice vibrant images while they looked unreal, so Z30 is right in between, not too dull not too sharp, and colors are muted even with the color bar slided all the way to right.

_________

Edit: after removing the peel off the new passport and applying crystal clear protector, and adjusting the brightness and white balance, I can comfortably say passport screen is just as nice as any other BlackBerry I had.
    Last edited by heading4tomorrow; 07-20-15 at 06:49 PM.
    07-20-15 02:09 PM
    Don't understand the AMOLED complaints on here. Q10 is AMOLED and I have never had a problem seeing it in the sun. It's probably because they don't let you dim the screen too much though. Shame, since this thing burns my eyes at night, but is fine in direct sunlight.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    The q10 has one of the worst screens of any modern phone.
    07-20-15 04:54 PM
    I am not too concerned about the colors
    09-27-15 11:12 PM
    Been using both device and must say I must prefer the passport screen. The z30 screen is awful when using in dark and can not get dimmer when compared with the pp. The auto brightness on pp is better and during daylight using it definitely easier to read.
    For the color adjustment, you can use the option: Display color setting for better adapt to your preference.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 11:30 PM
    I don't want my screen to be AMOLED. It's too bright colours are very unnatural.

Posted via BlackBerry� Passport SE
    09-28-15 12:24 AM
    +1.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-28-15 12:56 AM
    Been using both device and must say I must prefer the passport screen. The z30 screen is awful when using in dark and can not get dimmer when compared with the pp. The auto brightness on pp is better and during daylight using it definitely easier to read.
    For the color adjustment, you can use the option: Display color setting for better adapt to your preference.

Posted via CB10
    I agree but do you find that the Z30 screen uses less power than the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:17 AM
    I am on the opposite side. Please don't do that on Passport Mk2(if it does come to reality). Amoled has more issue than benefit.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 02:52 AM
    That is the reason why I didn't buy a Z30. Put an LCD screen on it and I would have a Z30 in my arsenal as it would have been the perfect all touch device.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:41 AM
65 123