I just making this title intriguing to get your attention

However I would like to have an option to remove the active frames and to leave the app to run in background (optional too). Something like iPhone! If Apple doesn't have the patent, BlackBerry should add this feature.

What do you think?

Passport
    12-23-14 10:06 AM
    That's called headless apps. Some apps have it, some don't so it is already in the OS

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 10:16 AM
    That's called headless apps. Some apps have it, some don't so it is already in the OS

Posted via CB10
    I want to get rid of active frames and I don't think is possible!

Passport
    12-23-14 10:30 AM

However I would like to have an option to remove the active frames and to leave the app to run in background (optional too). Something like iPhone! If Apple doesn't have the patent, BlackBerry should add this feature.

What do you think?

Passport
    Facepalm... Sorry, I hate to be rude, but seriously? What 'feature' are you talking about? Apple has the worst 'multitasking' of them all. You can't even switch between browser windows before stupid Safari decides to reload your previous window, making you lose your place at the page, or having to reenter all the text you wrote. YouTube videos playing in the background? -Also impossible on the iPhone. If you don't like the BlackBerry way (true multitasking), please just go back to using an iPhone. Thanks. I'm sorry, I don't normally do this, but this post was just too dense.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    12-23-14 11:03 AM
    Facepalm... Sorry, I hate to be rude, but seriously? What 'feature' are you talking about? Apple has the worst 'multitasking' of them all. You can't even switch between browser windows before stupid Safari decides to reload your previous window, making you lose your place at the page, or having to reenter all the text you wrote. YouTube videos playing in the background? -Also impossible on the iPhone. If you don't like the BlackBerry way (true multitasking), please just go back to using an iPhone. Thanks. I'm sorry, I don't normally do this, but this post was just too dense.

Posted via CB10
    Feel free to write what you think, no problem here.

Now back to topic. Personally I don't like the active frames and I always keep closing them. There is a icon which I can use to lunch an app, and that's enough for me. However no biggie.

Passport
    12-23-14 11:12 AM
    Something like iPhone! If Apple doesn't have the patent, BlackBerry should add this feature.

What do you think?

Passport
    I think Blackberry should do everything possible to NOT make anything like the iPhone, or android!

That is why I am on this OS, iOS is soooooo boring!

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    Barbareren, mister2d and mk2234 like this.
    12-23-14 11:51 AM
    People don't seem to understand active frames. They weren't designed to be closed. You're SUPPOSED to keep things there so that they're always one swipe away. I've always got four open, sometimes five, and when performing intense tasks often use up to eight. That's the purpose.

For the love of all that's holy, stop closing your active frames!

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    thedose, tanzarian and fanisk like this.
    12-23-14 12:00 PM
    ...I can use to lunch an app...
    No, lunch is too late. I start working right after breakfast.

Am I the only who's completely missing the essence of this topic?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:02 PM
    ...OP, could you please change the title of the post?!

Anyway, I actually like the idea even though I don't know exactly what the reason for the op is.

I'd like to have a nice clean screen. The active frame thing is for sure very fast. On the other hand I don't like the crappy messy screen depending on the active frames/apps.

Right now my first menu screen is empty (cleaned with magic icon) and then I have the menu screens with all the icons.

So usually my main screen is the 1. menu screen. Swipe to the left I have the active frames, to the right I have the apps... swipe from the bottom to the right and I have the hub.

So my main window looks always nice tidy and clean :-))
    12-23-14 12:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    have you ever heard of browser tabs...lol
    12-23-14 12:22 PM
    Additionally: if all the apps would have a nice view in active frame mode, like twitter and the crackberry app, and also the device monitor and the file manager it would look much more tidy (don't know if that's the right term for what I mean).
    But esp. the browser and some other apps I would much rather close because it looks just messy have those "open" all the time.

For me it's just a design thing. But it's actually important.

If there is always stuff on all the screens there is no need for pretty wallpapers anymore...
    12-23-14 12:28 PM
    Feel free to write what you think, no problem here.

Now back to topic. Personally I don't like the active frames and I always keep closing them. There is a icon which I can use to lunch an app, and that's enough for me. However no biggie.

Passport
    It is just the way multitasking is handled on BlackBerry OS 10. You have to manually close apps on iOS and Android as well - it's just a bit more cumbersome on those OSs. On OS10 you have all the open apps in one window, while on the other OSs you have to bring up that window yourself. You seem to be complaining about something others consider a feature. I understand that you don't like seeing the open apps, but I think it is just a matter of adjusting to another, imo superior, OS. And since BB OS10 uses TRUE multitasking, it is actually wise to have the running apps displayed and easily stopped, in order to prevent an app draining your battery. Personally, and I think most OS10 users agree, I much prefer BlackBerry's way than the iOS or Android way. If you don't, that's fair enough, just don't expect BlackBerry to change basic ways of manoeuvring the user interface just for you... Active frames can also be very useful. The fact that many 3rd party developers don't utilise active frames in their apps is unfortunate, though. BlackBerry could also have made more out of the active frames - kinda like Android's widgets, but that's another case.

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian, JORENO and fanisk like this.
    12-23-14 12:34 PM
    have you ever heard of browser tabs...lol
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but by 'browser windows' I meant tabs. Just try switching between browser tabs on any iOS device and see what happens for yourself. My point was simply about the lack of _true_ multitasking abilities on iOS compared to BB OS10.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:41 PM
    People don't seem to understand active frames. They weren't designed to be closed. You're SUPPOSED to keep things there so that they're always one swipe away. I've always got four open, sometimes five, and when performing intense tasks often use up to eight. That's the purpose.

For the love of all that's holy, stop closing your active frames!
    When it comes to Android apps in particular, I always close them once I'm done. I think it is smart to close certain apps - both for freeing up RAM and for reducing the risk of an app draining the battery.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:50 PM
    Actually, I agree with the OP completely. Many apps are just a pain to have to close each time, especially ones that aren't even apps....like......settings. Or......phone / camera which already have a shortcut on the screen all the time anyway. It would be nice to be able to opt out of some operations lingering (active frame) so it's not cluttering up your screen. Before 10.3.1, voice assistant would do this....it would just disappear instead of hanging around as an active frame.
    12-23-14 12:56 PM

What do you think?

Passport
    They are working on it and some apps already work like that. Apple borrowed their app multitasking from PlayBook if you ask me.
    12-23-14 02:32 PM
    Actually, I agree with the OP completely. Many apps are just a pain to have to close each time, especially ones that aren't even apps....like......settings. Or......phone / camera which already have a shortcut on the screen all the time anyway. It would be nice to be able to opt out of some operations lingering (active frame) so it's not cluttering up your screen. Before 10.3.1, voice assistant would do this....it would just disappear instead of hanging around as an active frame.
    But those are apps. They are apps just like they are apps on iOS, Android, or any other mobile OS. You have to close them on those platforms too. Different gesture, but you still have to close them (or not).
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-23-14 02:39 PM
    But those are apps. They are apps just like they are apps on iOS, Android, or any other mobile OS. You have to close them on those platforms too. Different gesture, but you still have to close them (or not).
    But those OS's don't have a home screen that is your "Active Frames". You close them and never think about them or see them ever again unless you happen to choose to go to "apps"....and there could be lots of lots of them....not the 8 you're limited to with BB10 that are supposed to double as sort-of widgets.

And why do phone, camera, and search/assistant stick around on your home screen when shortcuts for those things live there all the time anyway?
    12-23-14 02:48 PM
    But those OS's don't have a home screen that is your "Active Frames". You close them and never think about them or see them ever again unless you happen to choose to go to "apps"....and there could be lots of lots of them....not the 8 you're limited to with BB10 that are supposed to double as sort-of widgets.

And why do phone, camera, and search/assistant stick around on your home screen when shortcuts for those things live there all the time anyway?
    Well, you didn't say all that. You only said they weren't apps and they were a pain to close.

Sounds like a suggestion that should go to Blackberry. Remember, this is a very young mobile OS. I see no reason why they couldn't implement an "Active Frames" screen that's static.
    12-23-14 03:06 PM
    When it comes to Android apps in particular, I always close them once I'm done. I think it is smart to close certain apps - both for freeing up RAM and for reducing the risk of an app draining the battery.

Posted via CB10
    This should blow your mind then. I miss this on my Nokia 808. Wait... I still have it.

12-23-14 03:10 PM
    Well, you didn't say all that. You only said they weren't apps and they were a pain to close.
    Um....I said....

Sounds like a suggestion that should go to Blackberry. Remember, this is a very young mobile OS. I see no reason why they couldn't implement an "Active Frames" screen that's static.
    That's static? What do you mean? I'm not interested in a static screen, I'm interested in apps not becoming an active frame to begin with.
    12-23-14 03:19 PM
    This should blow your mind then. I miss this on my Nokia 808. Wait... I still have it.

Those apps are mostly only light system apps. Add Asphalt 8 (1GB+ download) and some other really 'heavy' games or apps to that list, and my mind might get blown away, hehe

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 03:30 PM
    Well I don't believe Asphalt was on Symbian.

Still, 75 apps is impressive. You don't see that on today's phone with no slowdown.
    12-23-14 03:38 PM
    Well I don't believe Asphalt was on Symbian.

Still, 75 apps is impressive. You don't see that on today's phone with no slowdown.
    True. I was a huge Symbian fan myself. Especially their Series 80 version that was running on the old Communicator line from Nokia. Back then a Communicator (smartphone) truly was a mini-computer. Their S60 version was very limited in comparison.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 03:46 PM