I like this device a lot but the keyboard is stiff, uncomfortable, awkward and the lack of shift key is annoying. The numbers layout isn't good either on the virtual keyboard, why is the 0 not below rest of numbers??

This is day 3. If my keyboard experience doesn't improve, might have to go back to z30 and sell passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:13 PM
    I hear that. It's a big change. Some got used to it immediately, some it took time, and some returned it. It took me about a week. We're all put together different.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-17-14 05:15 PM
    I hear that. It's a big change. Some got used to it immediately, some it took time, and some returned it. It took me about a week. We're all put together different.
    It just doesn't feel like my beloved 9900. They should have used the same type of keyboard material. Also don't know why they didn't add a physical shift key and numbers on the keyboard. I can type much faster on z30 but I'm willing to see if the keyboard will grow on me.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:18 PM
    It just doesn't feel like my beloved 9900. They should have used the same type of keyboard material. Also don't know why they didn't add a physical shift key and numbers on the keyboard. I can type much faster on z30 but I'm willing to see if the keyboard will grow on me.

Posted via CB10
    It takes a bit but I went from the Z30 to the passport and I love it. I can type almost as fast. To make a capital just hold the letter for a second or two no need for the shift key

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:19 PM
    I actually prefer the Passport keyboard to the one on the Q10 and the 9900. This is mostly because of the size of the keys. I found the Q10 and 9900 to be a little too small for my liking (though I adjusted to that).

Initially, the hybrid physical/virtual keyboard was a problem for me, but it took me just about a day or two to get used to it. Now I don't even notice the strangeness of it.

One thing to note: Even when I used the Q10 or 9900, I used both hands to type. It just was more natural for me, so the (mandatory) two-handed operation of the Passport is pretty natural.
    12-17-14 05:22 PM
    You need about 2 weeks to get adjusted to the Passport keyboard. There is a steep learning curve. If you think you can get adjusted in 3 days, you're sorely mistaken.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:52 PM
    I absolutely loved the virtual keyboard on the Z30 as the autocorrect and prediction worked incredibly well for me. I too hated the Passport keyboard at first but really like it. I doubt my affection will rise to the level of love I had for the Z30 but it is quite enjoyable now. Give it some time.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:13 PM
    I don't get it. What do you need the shift key for? Capitalization can be done without the shift key. All other functions are available based on context.
    12-17-14 07:17 PM
    I don't get it. What do you need the shift key for? Capitalization can be done without the shift key. All other functions are available based on context.
    I think the perception is that we use symbols and such a lot more than we actually do. I too was concerned about the virtual row to start, but I wanted to give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt that they knew what they were doing and wouldn't design a dumb keyboard that made no sense. It took some adjustment but what they did on the Passport makes sense. The only thing that I would say has to be improved are the keyboard touch features. They are not bad, but compared to the Classic trackpad for example, they are very limited. We should have the same level of ability and control as what is offered on the Classic using the Passport touch keyboard. Right now all you can do is scroll basically.

Posted via CB10
    evodevo69 likes this.
    12-17-14 08:17 PM
    Went from my 9900 to an iPhone 5 back to the 9900 to the Z30 to an iPhone 6+ and now the passport.

Will never go back to a virtual keyboard. Passport takes getting used to. Most people will know in the first day or so if it's for them or not. There's a lot of little tips and trick with the keyboard taut once you get familiar with it makes it easier.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 09:23 PM
    I haven't heard anyone on these forums claim they adjusted in the first three days.

It took me a good 2 weeks to get used to it, and a good month before I got really good with it.

After you get comfortable with the swiping and virtual 4th row, you'll realize how much better the keyboard is compared to the previous BlackBerry keyboards.

Keyboard touch scrolling is much better on the 10.3.1.1154 build and I now use it extensively.

My advise is to use a typing app (I use typist from amazon app store) and practice 15 minutes a day. Try holding the device in a few positions and SLOW down!!! At first you need to adjust the muscle memory, speed will come later.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia and pituCaleya like this.
    12-17-14 09:45 PM
    The combination of the suggested words that can be swyped and the the ability of the keyboard to auto-correct and fill in the symbols/punctuation involved in typing a word like we're or I'll make this keyboard just as fast if not faster than the Q10 or Bold (both of which I love). The Passport's keyboard takes less "work" i.e. less touches, less key presses. Instead you have to learn to let the software do more of the detail work for you. Once I settled into a rhythm with the more I don't even like typing on my Q10 anymore honestly.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 09:51 PM
    I agree it took me a while to adjust from my virtual keyboard. I'm not sure how long it took but it is certainly way less frustrating for me than continuing to make all those mistakes I was making on the glass screens. Accuracy for me is so much more important than speed. For fun I'm typing this on my Z10 and making sure I don't make mistakes. Yikes, it's taking me forever compared to the Passport. Now that's me. I'm a terrible typist. So I really like the physical keyboard for the muscle memory it creates. Everyone is different so I hope it works out for you.
    Jeffm63 likes this.
    12-17-14 09:58 PM
    Just use it nonstop. I was kind of weirded out by the keyboard when I began using mine, but after a week or two, it was great. I've had mine for months now and it's as if I never used any other type of keyboard.

After the third day, I was like you, wondering if it ever would get better. It does, just use it a lot. Text your friends, use the swipe down to reveal the symbols, and swipe back to delete. The Passport is the best keyboard I've ever had on a BlackBerry, and I've had nearly all of them since the Pearl.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:23 PM
    As someone who has had his passport less than 5 hours I think the phone will not be for everyone. I am not having a hard time adjusting myself. It's different for sure but I would say give it more time... or sell it and get the classic and call it a day.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 11:30 PM
    I haven't heard anyone on these forums claim they adjusted in the first three days.
    You'll hear it from me. The keyboard felt natural in my hands on day one.
    thedose likes this.
    12-18-14 06:44 AM
    You'll hear it from me. The keyboard felt natural in my hands on day one.
    Totally agree. Yes it is different but I jumped on the keyboard and was speeding away almost instantly. Blackberry put a lot of thought into this phone. They are all about productivity. They would not have released this phone if they thought it would be a less than productive machine. With that being said to each his/her own... we do have the classic just released.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 06:55 AM
    I write a LOT and am wondering how long one has to hold a key to toggle between lower case and Capital letters. The beauty of the shift key is that you just press it in sequence at your normal typing rate.

How long does it take to switch between case on the Passport? Is it the same speed as the Z10? Is the speed adjustable?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:30 AM
    I couldn't stand the keyboard for the first few days... up until the second week, actually. Then I started realizing that I could type without looking, I could fly through without fail. It grows on you... But give it enough time.
    12-18-14 07:47 AM
    I'm getting to the point of typing while not looking...one month in with passport. Something nice about the feel of this keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:10 AM
    took me a few days to "adjust",

it may not be right for everyone, but is sure as hell works great for me.....
    12-18-14 08:14 AM
    The keyboard will feel stiff at first, once you use it the keys become easier to type on and easier to press

I just ordered a classic, I'm looking forward to it except for the loss of swiping up words with the keyboard...
    12-18-14 08:14 AM
    I'm getting to the point of typing while not looking...one month in with passport. Something nice about the feel of this keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I was at the same point.

I bought the device at the beginning of October. It took me about a month before I was typing great. Now i'm flying on the keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:59 AM
    Love the keyboard, but you need to commit to using it. Trying to do it half-assedly, with one hand or while lying down, doesn't work. Sit down, take the phone in both hands, open up a text writing window in whatever app you choose, and start typing.

At first, don't use suggested words until you 'teach' the phone your expressions. It learns quickly. Then, once you're comfortable typing and swiping down to display the alt keyboard, you can start selecting suggestions. I don't bother unless the word is long, and I save at least 5 keystrokes.

It gets better! In fact, it gets better than any other virtual or physical keyboard, hands down (and thumbs up).

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    fanisk likes this.
    12-18-14 09:07 AM
    Other things, I find that I got used to, although after nearly 2 months now, I still fumble a bit, especially when I am typing in non-alphabet language (the adjustment to the different key layout takes effort that is extra to what it would take to adapt to the layout with respect to English).

The biggest problem, however, is the space bar. I've said this a few times in other threads, but Passport's space bar is, for some mysterious reason, harder to press than other keys - it actually sits slightly lower, the ridge on the space bar is going opposite of the other keys, and pressing the corners of the space bar doesn't work very well - when the whole point of a space bar is that it should be easier to press than other keys, easier to access, easier to reach. That's why it's a bar, not a key, and that's why, if you try to look under a typical desktop keyboard space bar, there is a special support or lever that allows you to hit anywhere on the space bar and get it to register, not just in the center of the bar, unlike Passport space bar where you need to pretty much hit the center to properly press it.

Perhaps this is exacerbated by the fact that I don't use swipe up to complete function all that much, which makes me have to use space bar a lot. But of course, even granting that, the swipe up auto complete is not an excuse for a poor space bar.

I think this, and the absence of a "back" key (for Android apps) are the biggest fusses I have about Passport keyboard. Other than that, it's all adaptable, and get-used to-able.
    12-18-14 09:12 AM
44 12