Hi all

I recently got into the habit of turning off Data Services overnight. Next morning, I notice that the battery has been drained well below 15%. I usually utilize only about 10-15% battery per day (my new Passport has excellent battery life, so I don't need to charge it every night). I also notice that the top-right corner is really hot (I'm guessing that's where the CPU is).

Checking Device Monitor, I saw that the battery and CPU usage has been spiking like crazy around the time I turned off Data Services the night before up until the morning that I check my phone.

The culprit is none other than "System". There is NO other app/service (native or Android) showing any battery or CPU usage. Everything is at an idle state, or using a fraction of a percent.

What the heck is "System" doing? Why is it mad at me for turning off Data?

I'm on the latest OS that has been released OTA in my region: 10.3.2.2639 (Software 10.3.2.2474)
    12-29-15 06:19 AM
    Have any network data traffic monitor running?

Many of these monitor apps increase energy consume when the data connection is cut. I was indeed surprized to find this out in many apps. Usage Pro is one of the few which works well.

If you don't have one running, check other running apps, BaSA, Device Monitor, switch their data traffic monitoring off.
    12-29-15 06:29 AM
    Nope, no monitoring apps.

How do you turn off Device Monitor's data monitoring? There's nothing in the app's settings other than a "data limit" notifier, which is off.
    12-29-15 06:56 AM
    Nope, no monitoring apps.
    Never had one?
    How do you turn off Device Monitor's data monitoring? There's nothing in the app's settings other than a "data limit" notifier, which is off.
    It's in the device settings, sorry my device speaks German, there must be an item called "Data management" or so, one above the screen settings, there it is the top most switch, called "Data services" or so. I think if this is ON your device monitor collects network traffic data.

Edit: No, this option is not right. Probably you can't switch this off in the Device Manager.

But I guess it's something else. In Device Monitor - what app is responsible for most of the energy consume? You must recognize this on the Accu page after a longer period of having no data connection.
    Last edited by muellerto; 12-30-15 at 02:37 AM.
    12-29-15 10:48 AM
    Maybe do a system wipe. I wiped mine and the system is having no problem at all! Make sure you backup all your files...

Mia san mia!
    12-29-15 03:46 PM
    In Device Monitor - what app is responsible for most of the energy consume? You must recognize this on the Accu page after a longer period of having no data connection.
    Thanks for trying to help. Like I said, the only app/service that's consuming any battery and CPU is "System". It spikes when I turn Data Services OFF. Everything else is idle.
    12-30-15 02:55 AM
    If you go to App Permission in Setting and disable the Run when Minimized of apps which you don't want to run in the back ground, this may help. Some apps need frequent update such as weather app, or android apps may be sending data when you aer sleeping . See if it would help.

Posted from my Passport
    12-30-15 04:03 AM
    But if the Battery were drained due to some apps running in the background then the Device Monitor would show *these* apps at the top, not the System process, right?
    01-04-16 03:50 PM
    At night I place my Passport SE in sleep mode! With clock open swipe from top. This mode has very little battery drain. The only this mode would allow is incoming phone call Re emergency Someone trying to reach me. But you can select / adjust what you want sleep mode to do.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 05:35 PM
    But if the Battery were drained due to some apps running in the background then the Device Monitor would show *these* apps at the top, not the System process, right?
    Yup. System is the only process consuming anything at all while the phone is idle. I'm generally not a fan of things running in the background.
    01-05-16 01:07 AM
    During last week my battery has been completely draining over STANDBY, I think I will do a system wipe.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 11:10 AM
    I had similar experience the other week when I was out of country and cell was turned off but wifi left on. I forget whether I'd also disable wifi when putting in safe for the day. Definitely didn't get longer day use than when I'm back home and using it often. I do have 1-2 monitoring apps so that was probably the culprit.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 02:30 PM