I just switched from android to BlackBerry passport and I can't find a way to send a large video over 16 MB on different social media like whatsap or bbm. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 06:16 PM
    Without hacking, that's the limit for Whatsapp on all platforms.

You can't change either on a BlackBerry.

Use Dropbox or other cloud storage, and send a link instead. This is incredibly easy to do because Dropbox (and others) is integrated into the BlackBerry OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Last edited by conite; 03-28-15 at 06:45 PM.
    03-28-15 06:19 PM
    I uploaded to dropbox however how can I share the link? Because when I click share it's allowing me to send the file and not the link.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 06:32 PM
    I uploaded to dropbox however how can I share the link? Because when I click share it's allowing me to send the file and not the link.

Posted via CB10
    Go into file manager. Find your file in Dropbox, hold your finger on it and select "share link" from the fly out menu on the right.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 06:39 PM
    Oh I guess I have to wait until it's fully uploaded to share the link. Funny that one drive allows maximum to 100 MB to be uploaded.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 06:47 PM
    On android this issue is not there. I am very disappointed. Whatever the size is I was able to share

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:12 PM
    On android this issue is not there. I am very disappointed. Whatever the size is I was able to share

Posted via CB10
    I don't know why Microsoft put a limit on the upload size, but Dropbox and Box are fine.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 08:15 PM
    Whatsapp on android shrinks the file automatically without having to do all those steps. Just wondering why on BlackBerry this is not possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:17 PM
    Whatsapp on android shrinks the file automatically without having to do all those steps. Just wondering why on BlackBerry this is not possible.

Posted via CB10
    Ask Whatsapp.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-28-15 08:20 PM
    I just switched from android to BlackBerry passport and I can't find a way to send a large video over 16 MB on different social media like whatsap or bbm. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    Social media is not meant to share large files

Email also have limitations.. and even if ex. Gmail allow you to send 10 or 20MB attachments, it does not mean the files will reach the destination! Many servers still have restrictions of 5-8MB..

The smart way to do things, use services for what they are meant for.. so a file sharing service for files, and share the LINKS to the files on social media/email

There are many technical reasons for this, one of them is the protocol used.

When sending files via email, the files are being encoded similar to text, and usually ends up with a size at least 30% larger than the original, in some cases even more.

Services made for files use protocols more efficient for files, and some support pause/resume, so even if your phone drops off the cell network for a second, the file transfer will succeed. Doing the same with a protocol Not made for that purpose, would restart the whole transfer from the beginning again..

And, if you want to send a large file to many recipients, the file will have to upload for every one of them..

Use Dropbox, Box or other cloud services instead, get the link for the file, and send that link to your recipients instead. More control, more efficient, and much smarter
    03-28-15 09:33 PM
    As a file recipient I dread to receive huge 5mb + files. Sharing links is always more convenient, the recipient can choose when/how to save the file.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    03-28-15 09:59 PM
    It's a different concept and I guess I have to get used to it. Sharing a public link. Second wait for the files to upload completely before sharing the link. Third the recipient has to download and then once downloaded remove the link.
    I just hope that whatsapp fix this issue and make it work the same way on a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 03:11 AM
    It's a different concept and I guess I have to get used to it. Sharing a public link. Second wait for the files to upload completely before sharing the link. Third the recipient has to download and then once downloaded remove the link.
    I just hope that whatsapp fix this issue and make it work the same way on a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what you mean. Whatsapp on Android cannot pre-shrink an over 100mb file to less than 16mb for transfer. The only moderate file compression it does is for images.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-29-15 06:45 AM
    Yes it does. I just tested it with my note 4. I sent a 129 MB video and it shrank it to 15 MB and sent the full length of the video not just part of the video. That's why I was surprised that this is not the same behavior on a BlackBerry. That's why I asked.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:02 AM
    I've already uploaded +GBs files on my one drive via blackberry passport .. it's not limited to 100mb
    03-29-15 07:06 AM
    Yes it does. I just tested it with my note 4. I sent a 129 MB video and it shrank it to 15 MB and sent the full length of the video not just part of the video. That's why I was surprised that this is not the same behavior on a BlackBerry. That's why I asked.

Posted via CB10
    That's right. If you have taken an uncompressed video with your camera, it will shrink and compress the file using a lossy compression technique. You're not really sending the real file.

You're sending the equivalent of an image thumbnail for video.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    03-29-15 07:09 AM
    Can you share your steps of how you managed that because when I try to copy from media card to onedrive on file manager and try to paste I get a message saying that's over 100 MB. So I am thinking now that you must be doing it differently. Can you share the steps

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:11 AM
    Can you share your steps of how you managed that because when I try to copy from media card to onedrive on file manager and try to paste I get a message saying that's over 100 MB. So I am thinking now that you must be doing it differently. Can you share the steps

Posted via CB10
    I don't use whatsapp on BlackBerry. I just know that whatsapp on Android will shrink images and videos using a lossy compression technique to try to reduce the file size.

You would therefore not be sending your original file anymore, but some hacked version of it.

If that's all you want to do, then just get a video compression app and reduce the size first before sending with whatsapp on your BlackBerry.

I'll take your word for it that whatsapp on BlackBerry does not provide this function like the android app. I would suggest you contact them to find out why, and if they plan to update it soon.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    gilbert khayat likes this.
    03-29-15 07:17 AM
    I don't use whatsapp on BlackBerry. I just know that whatsapp on Android will shrink images and videos using a lossy compression technique to try to reduce the file size.

You would therefore not be sending your original file anymore, but some hacked version of it.

If that's all you want to do, then just get a video compression app and reduce the size first before sending with whatsapp on your BlackBerry.

I'll take your word for it that whatsapp on BlackBerry does not provide this function like the android app. I would suggest you contact them to find out why, and if they plan to update it soon.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Yeah I like this idea I will do so. Have a shrinker app will do the trick but lots of time spent to just send a video lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:21 AM
    Here is the respond from whatsapp. So BlackBerry doesn't support it

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, WhatsApp doesn't provide a tool to compress or lower the video size before sending since it uses the built in video editor of BlackBerry OS. I would recommend to use a 3rd party application that you can use to lower the size of any long video before you try to send it via WhatsApp.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!

Jake Sully

WhatsApp Support Team

Interested in translating for us? Please visit our website: http://translate.whatsapp.com

Take a look at our FAQ: http://www.whatsapp.com/faq

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    04-03-15 06:37 PM
    I had the same problem on my Q5, so I developed an app called Longviz that allows you to record longer videos but with a quality less than 720p. So there is no compression since the video is recorded with a quality like 480p. You can find that on the BB App World.

Regards

marco
    08-25-15 10:39 AM
    I use VISS for shrinking and sharing:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...9963937‎

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:46 AM