Just curious to know how current users are finding the passports keyboard:
    - speed?
    - accuracy?
    - any balance issues being so low on the phone?
    - other ergonomics?
    - vs q10, bold 9900, other QWERTY bb's?
    - other comments?

Thanks fellas!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:39 AM
    I will be honest.
    It has only been a couple days, but I just can't get the hang of it.
    My speed is terrible, but my accuracy has gone way up from my 30.
    I just feel that I have to press too hard to get a letter on the screen as compared to my old 30 and it just f a bit eels "clunky", so far.
    As for being too low, yeah, maybe that too.
    I do love the phone tho, and i have very limited time on it

But it's getting better ready, just can't type as fast as my 30 yet.

Former Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    hnguyen likes this.
    09-28-14 02:15 AM
    Just curious to know how current users are finding the passports keyboard:
    - speed?
    - accuracy?
    - any balance issues being so low on the phone?
    - other ergonomics?
    - vs q10, bold 9900, other QWERTY bb's?
    - other comments?

Thanks fellas!

Posted via CB10
    I got mine on Thursday morning and I am getting very good typing. It's obviously a big keyboard, and I have found that I use the swipe gesture to flick words up a lot more than I did on my Z10 and Z30.

The speed is great. I can type very fast and make almost no mistakes. These keys are like heaven to type on in terms of size and tactile feedback. They're like crisp cushions haha.

I was expecting it to be top heavy but it's not at all. I rest it on my pinky fingers when I type and hold a pointer finger on each side to keep it secure and I can really type and flick so well in this position.

It's not heavy, it's solid. There's no cheap parts, no double typing. It's by far better to hold than the Q10 and 9900. I held my Q10 a few times today and it just feels like a toy compared to the Passport. The Passport feels like BlackBerry thought about everything, it's perfect.

Oh, and I've spent a lot of time on mine. It just takes time. I can't put this thing down, it is way too fun to be labeled a business phone

Posted via CB10
    kawikaratekid and bakron1 like this.
    09-28-14 02:20 AM
    I find after a couplebdays I'm getting the hang of it except the space key. It just doesn't feel right. I may have a faulty unit. I think I'll go in and try their demo unit to compare. It just doesn't have the same click and feel as the other keys.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 08:00 AM
    I went in to compare to their demo unit and the space key feels the same. The employee 100 agreed that it is a different feel and hard to depress unless you push right in the center. The dummy unit actually felt better to type on than the real ones.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:52 AM
    Could someone make a video showing how it is to compose a complete message?
    A real message, completed with punctuation, symbols and structures like code (for example, for my work I need to write something like "MyFunction"), or acronym and numbers (like "ABC_12345.txt").

You can copy this very message as inspiration, I just need to see it in action beside some dull tutorial that write half sentence without any punctuation.
    Especially comma input and switching from single symbol typing and long numeric strings.

Thank you in advance!
    09-29-14 12:56 PM
    I think the only way to form some kind of opinion besides owning one, is to go into the store and play with it for a while. Everyone has their own idea of how it is or isn't but the fact is, we all come up with our own conclusions. I never buy a phone strictly on opinion but I do take them into account. In the end, it's what I experience when I put it in my own hands and try it out.
    09-29-14 01:01 PM
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. I think I'll stick with my trust z30 until the price on used passports on Kijiji goes down.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 12:11 AM
    You must learn the little tricks that they designed in there.

It's awkward... like snakes on stairs, but I'm getting used to it.

In my mind, it's not a regular keyboard and it's nest not to type like it is one.

Use the tricks and it's pretty fast. But it's like playing Portal as the words start in your brain, work through the fingers, transport through the keyboard and spring up of the screen.

This probably makes more sense after using the keyboard for at least 10 minutes.

Down-swipe for more characters, swiping up for words, double tapping the keyboard are all VITAL for speed. Kind of tough to eye the physical keyboard and the predictive word selection at the same time.

But it tickles the brain nicely.

Passport || Fido
    kanenas likes this.
    09-30-14 03:31 AM
    i think i fully agree here except on the keyboard button feel, which I think is perfect, although I'm on my first full day here. Also I came from the abominable q10, and a z30 for a few weeks, so I guess that's the difference for us. I would say balance of the phone as a whole is a bit odd, and the fatigue in the hands is noticeable. its not ideal tbh. It does not feel natural. but it doesn't mean I would change it tbh, this is jsut an adjustment for me I think. The press will make hay on this phenomenon though, as they won't be inclined to adjust and will just say its a piece of junk. A great phone, but the ergonomics are not natural, and this will count against it I think.
    I will be honest.
    It has only been a couple days, but I just can't get the hang of it.
    My speed is terrible, but my accuracy has gone way up from my 30.
    I just feel that I have to press too hard to get a letter on the screen as compared to my old 30 and it just f a bit eels "clunky", so far.
    As for being too low, yeah, maybe that too.
    I do love the phone tho, and i have very limited time on it

But it's getting better ready, just can't type as fast as my 30 yet.

09-30-14 05:39 AM
    I'm getting used to it, I do find after pressing on the on screen numbers and then going back to the physical keyboard I momentarily put my finger on the key and without pressing I'm expecting it to show up on screen.

But over all, I'm loving it.
    09-30-14 06:14 AM
    I've only played with mine a bit because I haven't swapped my SIM card yet, but I can already tell I really like the fourth row that pops up with the punctuation. It seems more natural than looking down for those special characters already so I think I'm going to really like it. Swiping up on the keyboard is also easy and efficient.

Posted with my Z30 from CB10
    09-30-14 07:33 AM
    It takes a day or two to get used to, but after that I find it fun to type on. Very accurate too!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:40 AM
    First thing you'll have to train yourself is the pressure applied on the virtual and physical keys.

You'll have to constantly change from pressing hard on the physical keys to lightly pressing the screen to do your ?!._-# and etc; as you do not want to break your screen right? lol

Takes 2-3 days to get familiar with it.. after that you'll be all good
    09-30-14 07:58 AM
    I have went from z10 o q10 to z30 back to q10 and now to passport. Gotta say I'm fastest still on the q10. But that is probably because I have only had since Monday night at 5:00pm. Balance is nice, screen size is surprisingly perfect. I think my accuracy and speed will pick up a the days pass.
    09-30-14 08:05 AM
    First thing you'll have to train yourself is the pressure applied on the virtual and physical keys.

You'll have to constantly change from pressing hard on the physical keys to lightly pressing the screen to do your ?!._-# and etc; as you do not want to break your screen right? lol

Takes 2-3 days to get familiar with it.. after that you'll be all good
    I cannot fathom the rationale in choosing not to adopt the same physical keyboard layout as the BlackBerry Q5 including the on-key punctuation and numeric symbols. Do we really need keys twice the size of those on the BlackBerry Q5? Maybe pudgy fingered folks should cutback on the calories and workout their digits with something other than holding and fondling foodstuffs. My thumbs cannot be larger than most people's thumbs; I am able to thumb-type very quickly on my BlackBerry Q5 with few errors beyond the usual human-error misspellings.
    09-30-14 08:36 AM
    I have went from z10 o q10 to z30 back to q10 and now to passport. Gotta say I'm fastest still on the q10. But that is probably because I have only had since Monday night at 5:00pm. Balance is nice, screen size is surprisingly perfect. I think my accuracy and speed will pick up a the days pass.
    And you probably never will as fast as in the Q10... Keys on the passport are a bit stiffer, and more spread. In the passport not only you will have to apply more force, but also move longer distances with your finger, both will consume more time.
    09-30-14 09:27 AM
    I have a question please people.
    Are you guys "flicking" the words up, or is it a deliberate touch on the actual word to get it up on the actual screen?
    For me, I have to actually tap the word.

09-30-14 10:47 AM
    flicking works, but I find it flakey in the first column. I tried about 20 times earlier on one word and it would nto work. other times it is completely fine in that column. Very annoying. Either will work if all goes well though
    I have a question please people.
    Are you guys "flicking" the words up, or is it a deliberate touch on the actual word to get it up on the actual screen?
    For me, I have to actually tap the word.

09-30-14 11:46 AM
    My M and "return" keys were defective like always in the down position. Stuck down, right out of the box. Maybe a blessing since I don't have the nano sim yet from AT&T
    09-30-14 12:46 PM
    I find the keyboard the best BlackBerry has ever done with the above screen commands too. I think that because the keyboard is wide it really helps flow with the keys and typing is a breeze, you don't over stretch your fingers that much. Intact you could argue that the other way on screen keyboards going upwards or getting a magnifying glass and triple checking you hit the teenie tiny on screen keys!!!

The built in key navigation and editing I find so useful it is a no brainer, I can't understand how anyone says they have to press the keys hard I find I'm pretty much tapping almost as if it was a touch screen.

The feel of the device being in square in the hand gives it a solid and we'll controlled feel and as I have been typing this on my passport I've not hardly looked the keyboard but just the screen as I type!

10/10 in my opinion oh and one more thing it does not look as big in real life it looks like so much better and feels great that you enjoy using it.

Lastly the screen is super crisp and the whole typing feel is well balanced due to the weight being evenly distributed, and the space is solo obvious, where it is, not sure what the issue is at all.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:39 PM
    Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:17 PM
    Like others have said the space bar takes a bit to get used to but I am getting pretty good with it. My accuracy has greatly improved. It takes a couple days to get used to it but I am liking it!

Passport on AT&T
    09-30-14 02:47 PM
    I'm getting used to it, I do find after pressing on the on screen numbers and then going back to the physical keyboard I momentarily put my finger on the key and without pressing I'm expecting it to show up on screen.
    Why using the on screen button?
    The symbols are mapped to the physical keys...
    09-30-14 03:13 PM