I read many of you already have your passport on a software version above 10.3.0.908 which is the version mine is running. The 'Search for uodates' option always ends up telling me I have the latest version. How long does it take for Blackberry to issue regular OTA official upgrades as compared to the versions which are released otherwise?
    11-27-14 12:55 PM
    I think the higher miners are from leaked software

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 01:00 PM
    Well, Apple releases OS's OTA every 2 months at least
    BB has a lot of leak OSes, which we get a few every month
    OTA will be when the OSes reach gold status, or deemed "stable"
    Passport OS is one of the newest official. Now 10.3.0.908 is NOT the newest, there are newer OTA out there. But the reason you aren't getting it is because your carrier hasn't whitelisted it. So you would have to ask your carrier why.
    10.3.1 won't be pushed OTA until January at earliest
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-27-14 01:00 PM
    Welcome to the forum! It will be your carrier who releases OTA updates, not BlackBerry. However you can update your OS manually using the download links available here on Crackberry. If this interests you I would recommend first reading up on how to update before attempting anything. There is plenty of information here in the forum regarding that.

And of course feel free to ask questions as that's how you learn. Good luck with your Passport!

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.3289
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-27-14 01:07 PM
    I'm new here and just ordered an unlocked Passport. Are the updates for unlocked devices pushed directly by Blackberry or do you still need to wait for the carrier you have service through?
    11-27-14 01:15 PM
    I bought my passport through Amazon last week and it had an update as soon as I turned it on without a sim in it.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 01:21 PM
    Carriers need to get out of the way when it comes to updating the OS on these phones. I would rather have the companies push the updates out and the carriers push updates if a critical patch is needed.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-27-14 01:44 PM
    I'm new here and just ordered an unlocked Passport. Are the updates for unlocked devices pushed directly by Blackberry or do you still need to wait for the carrier you have service through?
    You'll get your updates pushed by the carrier you choose.

11-27-14 04:25 PM
    When does one know an official update is out? Browsing discussion on CB, I have no idea which versions that are released are leaked (I don't know what that means) or which are officially released by blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 05:23 AM
    I really hope that Blackberry officials would come forward and demystify this counter-intuitive update/OTA process. Why in the world AT&T would have any say (or any carrier for that matter) on OTA on a non branded phone? Is the OTA coming from Blackberry servers or AT&T servers? If the OTA is coming from Blackberry servers, then I really do not understand why Blackberry is putting them selfs in this awkward position. Just come out and say why your update process is so counter-intuitive.

I'm on ATT, but think about the carriers that do not like Blackberry like T-Mobile for example. Does that mean that people that payed $600 would never see any update because T-Mobile is done with Blackberry?

I'm really not comfortable at all if really the carriers are the ones that are pushing the updates. As I said, counter-intuitive and wrong.
    11-28-14 08:43 AM
    I really hope that Blackberry officials would come forward and demystify this counter-intuitive update/OTA process. Why in the world AT&T would have any say (or any carrier for that matter) on OTA on a non branded phone? Is the OTA coming from Blackberry servers or AT&T servers? If the OTA is coming from Blackberry servers, then I really do not understand why Blackberry is putting them selfs in this awkward position. Just come out and say why your update process is so counter-intuitive.

I'm on ATT, but think about the carriers that do not like Blackberry like T-Mobile for example. Does that mean that people that payed $600 would never see any update because T-Mobile is done with Blackberry?

I'm really not comfortable at all if really the carriers are the ones that are pushing the updates. As I said, counter-intuitive and wrong.
    The updates come from the BlackBerry servers, but needs to be whitelisted by the carrier for its customers.

The reason for this is support. The carriers provide the customer support because, as I'm sure you're aware, BlackBerry is not big enough to provide technical support spanning the entire globe.

It makes sense that a carrier cannot provide support for an OS that they have not tested and trained on. Hence why they have control of the actual release date.

If BlackBerry had bigger influence with the carriers, they could "insist" that their process of testing gets expedited, but sadly BlackBerry does not have the market clout.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    11-28-14 08:54 AM
    Huh??? When I received my Passport there was an OTA update available, and I didn't buy the carrier sim card yet..... Unlocked phones work a little differently, no?

You'll get your updates pushed by the carrier you choose.

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-28-14 08:55 AM
    Huh??? When I received my Passport there was an OTA update available, and I didn't buy the carrier sim card yet..... Unlocked phones work a little differently, no?
    Correct - a FACTORY unlocked device will get updates directly, and is not subject to carrier whitelisting.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-28-14 08:58 AM
    The updates come from the BlackBerry servers, but needs to be whitelisted by the carrier for its customers.

The reason for this is support. The carriers provide the customer support because, as I'm sure you're aware, BlackBerry is not big enough to provide technical support spanning the entire globe.

It makes sense that a carrier cannot provide support for an OS that they have not tested and trained on. Hence why they have control of the actual release date.
    Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    If the carrier is not familiar with the Passport (for example, because they do not offer it), then how can they whitelist it? What is the process, how the carriers do the whitelisting if they do not have the devices to test the firmware? Do Blackberry send devices to carriers that do not offer Blackberry devices so they can test firmwares?

You see, what you said about whitelisting doesn't make any sense to me if the carrier doesn't sell Blackberry devices. How can carrier do whitelisting if the carrier do not have devices (since the carrier has chosen to not sell Blackberry) to test given firmware.

If a carrier doesn't sell the Passport, then the carrier doesn't do this "whitelisting" either, unless there is away to test Blackberry firmware on Apple/Android/Windows device.
    Last edited by kabel_mk; 11-28-14 at 09:52 AM.
    11-28-14 09:30 AM
    If the carrier is not familiar with the Passport (for example, because they do not offer it), then how can they whitelist it? What is the process, how the carriers do the whitelisting if they do not have the devices to test the firmware? Do Blackberry send devices to carriers that do not offer Blackberry devices so they can test firmwares?

You see, what you said about whitelisting doesn't make any sense to me if the carrier doesn't sell Blackberry devices. How can carrier do whitelisting if the carrier do not have devices (since the carrier has chosen to not sell Blackberry) to test given firmware.

If a carrier doesn't sell the Passport, then the carrier doesn't do this "whitelisting" either, unless there is away to test Blackberry firmware on Apple/Android/Windows device.
    You won't get support or updates from a carrier if they don't offer the device.

BlackBerry has its OS updates on its server. If AT&T wants you to have it, they "open the gate" to their locked subscribers.

If you have a factory unlocked device, it will get updates from BlackBerry directly.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Last edited by conite; 11-28-14 at 12:13 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-28-14 11:41 AM
    You won't get support or updates from a carrier if they don't offer the device.

BlackBerry has its OS updates on its server. If AT&T wants you to have it, they "open the gate" to their locked subscribers.

If you have a factory unlocked device, it will get updates from BlackBerry directly.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Good info. Didn't know that.

11-28-14 12:29 PM
    I received my BlackBerry phone from my carrier when I signed on to a plan. They tell me it is unlocked.
    Will I be getting updates from BlackBerry directly?
    Or am I unaware of another type of unlocking that is not factory unlocking?

Posted via CB10, SQW100-1, 10.3.0.1418 (aka. 10.3.0.908)
    11-29-14 05:23 AM
    I received my BlackBerry phone from my carrier when I signed on to a plan. They tell me it is unlocked.
    Will I be getting updates from BlackBerry directly?
    Or am I unaware of another type of unlocking that is not factory unlocking?

Posted via CB10, SQW100-1, 10.3.0.1418 (aka. 10.3.0.908)
    If it's carrier branded, you won't. Your device is only SIM unlocked, carrier locked. BlackBerry direct devices are SIM and carrier unlocked.
    11-29-14 07:49 AM
    are ota updates a free download from your carrier? i'm with telus.

Posted via CB750
    01-09-15 03:52 PM
    If it's carrier branded, you won't. Your device is only SIM unlocked, carrier locked. BlackBerry direct devices are SIM and carrier unlocked.
    It's possible to unlock carrier-locked phones isn't it?

There is an IMEI website that offers this service for $75... And if it means getting updates directly from Blackberry and not having carrier bloatware, it seems like a good investment imo.
    Last edited by thedose; 01-09-15 at 04:38 PM.
    01-09-15 04:13 PM
    January 27th is the rumor and it's supposed to be pushed by BlackBerry this time. Surprised CrackBerry hasn't posted anything yet.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 04:23 PM
    Hope you're right

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 05:39 PM
    January 27th is the rumor and it's supposed to be pushed by BlackBerry this time. Surprised CrackBerry hasn't posted anything yet.

Posted via CB10
    That date is for the UK carrier. There a thread on it.
    01-09-15 06:03 PM
    The date will all be the same if it's actually a global rollout.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 07:46 PM
    I'm ok with it being for a UK carrier, we'll still be able to download it and install it in that case.

Passport on Wind
    01-09-15 08:39 PM
40 12