I have to type a lot of numbers with periods in between. I will pull up the numbers and lock them by long pressing @123 so that I can map to the keyboard.

This will lock the numbers...as long as I continue to type numbers. However, the moment I type a "period", the number lock turns off, and no longer maps the keys to the keyboard.

I can type the virtual keyboard for the numbers, but I am getting the hang of mapping to the PKB, rather than use virtual keys.

Anyone now how to keep the number lock on even when pressing the period button? Also, is there another way to initiate number lock (other than long pressing the @123 button?)
    05-31-15 09:20 AM
    For BB10:
    Press and Hold the ALT key to maintain the ALT characters including numbers.
    Press and Hold the Shift Key (up arrow) to use the CAPS LOCK mode.
    05-31-15 11:16 AM
    When you hold down the alt key, you will see "alt" at the top right of the screen. When it turns blue (after about a second), it is locked into position.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-31-15 11:31 AM
    Can swipe down on keyboard,
    05-31-15 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the replies, however it still isn't working. Say I have to type:

I press and hold the @123 button and the Number Lock engages and I can map the virtual keys to the keyboard. I then am able to type 123 without having to pull up the numbers again. However, as soon as I type the "period" button, the Number Lock un-engages and the number keys are no longer mapped to the PKB.

Therefore, I have to type the following:

Long Press @123
    Long Press @123
    @123

I keep having to re-press @123 to map the virtual keys to the PKB after I press a "period".
    06-01-15 10:21 AM
    I would be curious to know what these other two posters before me mean by alt. My wife BlackBerry being the old slider has alt key but looking at my passport there is no such animal. I have yet to figure out the way to, lock caps key or alt key option on a passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 10:54 AM
    I keep having to re-press @123 to map the virtual keys to the PKB after I press a "period".
    Press the space bar twice for the period and the numbers stay locked.
    06-01-15 11:04 AM
    Don't let go of alt while typing. Faster than locking each time.
    06-01-15 11:08 AM
    I thought of pressing the space bar twice and it does work, however, it then puts a space where I don't want it and I have to backspace.

I can press and hold the ALT key, but then I can't also press the period key at the same time. I have to lift and press the period key, then re-press the ALT key.

I have to input a lot of numbers with periods and was hoping there was a faster way to keep it flowing. I think that I will just have to do it inconveniently. I hope that in the future, the long press of @123 actually keeps the virtual keys mapped to the hard keys until I turn it off.

Randy Loyd: I believe the alt key is the virtual key "@123" It is the bottom right key on the virtual keys (directly above the physical keyboard). Press this once to pull up the virtual keys. Press and hold it a few seconds and the virtual keys are locked and stay on the screen. Also, if you press and hold it a few seconds, it will also map the virtual keys to the physical keys.

To cap lock, Press the "up arrow" on the bottom left side of the virtual keys (directly above the physical keys). Press it once to capitalize the next letter. Press and hold it to engage "caps lock". Or, alternatively, as you are typing letters, you can press and hold a letter for about a second and it will capitalize.
    06-01-15 11:52 AM

I press and hold the @123 button and the Number Lock engages and I can map the virtual keys to the keyboard. I then am able to type 123 without having to pull up the numbers again. However, as soon as I type the "period" button, the Number Lock un-engages and the number keys are no longer mapped to the PKB.

Long Press @123
    Long Press @123
    @123

You don't have to relock each time you want a period. You can either use the double spacebar and then backspace the space that it creates then continue typing your numbers or better yet you can press the key with the blue dot on the right side of the virtual keyboard to switch to the other set of symbols which includes the period which is mapped to the M key on the physical keyboard. From there you press your M, you get your period then you press the blue dot key and return to the first set of numbers and continue typing your numbers with Lock fully engaged. You can also quickly switch from numbers mode to symbols mode using a swipe down on the physical keyboard without removing the lock, however to switch back to typing numbers again you would have to press the blue dot key on the virtual keyboard because if you swipe down again on the physical keyboard, you will go back to letters only mode and have to reinvoke the num lock.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:31 PM

Long Press @123
    Long Press @123
    @123

I can't find a way to do this. However, why not just use the vkb if you insist on using the dot? Going from pkb to vkb for the dot must me more of a pain than just using the vkb all the way?
    06-01-15 02:39 PM
    Attachment 355505

You see the two up and down arrow with blue underline to your left and right at the bottom of the screen. As long as both are underline (not highlighted) it is locked. So you hold both together at the same time to lock the letter keys as numbers.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 03:28 PM
    You can always see if voice dictation works for you. I'm not sure about the passport, but on my z30 virtual keyboard there is a picture of a mic on the period. You can verbally say numbers. "123 point 456 point 789". If you say the word "period" it inserts a dot and ends the dictation until you press and hold the mic again.

I haven't played around with it much, I just noticed it recently, but you should be able to use the voice dictation in any app the keyboard is used.

Edit: saying "period" doesn't end it. I was just pausing too long and the assistant entered the text.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 06-01-15 at 07:14 PM.
    06-01-15 07:01 PM
    You can always see if voice dictation works for you. I'm not sure about the passport, but on my z30 virtual keyboard there is a picture of a mic on the period. You can verbally say numbers. "123 point 456 point 789". If you say the word "period" it inserts a dot and ends the dictation until you press and hold the mic again.

I haven't played around with it much, I just noticed it recently, but you should be able to use the voice dictation in any app the keyboard is used.

Posted via CB10
    Good suggestion. BlackBerry voice dictation is so under rated.

Posted via CB10
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    06-01-15 07:11 PM
    The only way is to lock again the number keys after pressing the 'period'...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:36 PM
    here it goes...
    press and hold down "alt" until "alt is displayed on the top then...
    "123m456m789
    the "m" key will show a period.

press the "alt" key again to go back to letters.

I have a Priv
    12-04-16 09:07 AM
    here it goes...
    press and hold down "alt" until "alt is displayed on the top then...
    "123m456m789
    the "m" key will show a period.

press the "alt" key again to go back to letters.

I have a Priv
    LOL
    12-04-16 03:25 PM
    I found a solution. In addition to English I have installed Japanese language (anyway, not for this purpose). In Japanese the period is connected to m, so it works fine. Maybe you find another language with a similar mapping.
    If you see spaces between the numbers you have to choose the right Japanese sign in order to get numbers without spaces.
    12-06-16 03:23 PM