Those of you who owns both phones and used each of them for at least a month...which phone types better/faster?? I'm looking for JUST the review on the keyboards, and nothing else.

So? Is the Classic 4-row better or the PP's 3-row + predictive entry offers even better typing experience?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 08:40 AM
    Even though I loved my passport, I have to admit ever since I shifted to the classic typing has been a pleasure. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 08:51 AM
    Classic

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    02-04-15 09:15 AM
    Q10 imho
    02-04-15 09:33 AM
    I'm adjusting to the Passport's keyboard (I find I'm still producing output slower than on the Q10 after a couple of months). I like the wider keyboard, but certainly miss the extra numeric keys (I'm on the fence about the Blackberry keys row as well). The touch enabled keyboard is great, but I don't really use the predictive text that much because I find I type better without intensely staring at the screen (something that the Passport's hybrid kind of diminishes). It's better than a virtual keyboard in terms of that concentration factor, but I'll also be fair to say I've not tried the Z30 either. I'd say, however, in terms of screen real estate, the Passport can't be beat - the screen is impressive and less straining on the eyes than the Q10.
    02-04-15 10:50 AM
    Passport since I like being able to cheat and swipe when I want. This is more natural coming from Z10/Z30.

Classic means typing every little letters out but if you are used to it, that's fine. You can always set up alias I guess. Just haven't use alias and shortcuts since BBOS 7.
    02-04-15 11:20 AM
    One very happy Passport user here. You really have to think of it as a hybrid keyboard. I agree with the fact that it's easier to come from the virtual keyboard, Z10 or Z30, than an older physical keyboard. It is like a virtual keyboard with buttons for all of the letters. Swipe to bring up symbols and numbers instead of the alt key. It has a longer 'adjustment' period than other keyboards but it's well worth it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    02-04-15 11:29 AM
    I love the Passport keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 12:26 PM
    Definitely the Passport. I had the Q5 for a bit before the Passport, then it took me about a week to get pretty smooth with the Passport. Then when the Classic came out, I picked that up to give it a whirl. Couldn't type for shi't.
    That Alt button slows me down when entering numbers and such. It's also a lot quicker now when entering in these characters, ':!?.
    And boy o boy...deleting words is a breeze on the Passport. When I had my Classic I kept trying to swipe back on the keyboard. Didn't get me very far that's for sure.

I will have a hard time changing back to a regular keyboard whenever this phone is done. Guess we will see at the MWC what phones will be coming out this year...

Visit my channel, Malamute Love, C0040CA85
    02-04-15 12:36 PM
    It is a question which is rather difficult to answer. What is "best" in a keyboard? Fastest typing? Best tactile feedback? Larger sized keys? There are too many variables.

To make it short, both devices have good keyboards. I am more or less a QWERTY addict since 2002 or something, having owned many Nokia, HTC and BlackBerry models sporting physical keyboards. So I guess I at least have some experience and can compared the phones to other phones.

The Passport has nice, large sized keys. Even with big thumbs you'll most likely never have a feel the keyboard is cramped. However the wider keyboard also results in slightly larger travel times for your thumbs. While the Classic has larger keys than the Q10 or of course the Bold 9900, it can't match the Passport.

The Classic has IMO nicer shaped keys and the tactile feedback, for such a device, is pretty awesome. BlackBerry really did a great job here in creating this keyboard. Which of course doesn't mean the Passport is bad - however I just prefer the pure feeling while typing on the Classic.

Passport has this pretty innovative capacitive functionality. It works well and, once you got used to it, it can really make your life easier. However IMO it depends a lot of what kind of stuff you do with your phone.
    For example I use a lot of special words and numbers here at work and for me the traditional 4-row keyboard simply works better than the Passport. For a casual conversation I have to say the Passport might be a tad more convenient.

After all I went from Passport to Classic and am happy with my decision. Typing on the Classic is, again for me, much more enjoyable than it was on the "hybrid" keyboard of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 12:39 PM
    I own a Passport. I tried the classic in a store. The keyboard of the classic feels nicer but everything else on the Passport is nicer. I love the screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 01:11 PM
    This is probably a point where you'll never find a clear answer since the opinions vary so widely. As a Passport user and former Q10 user I am still undecided when it comes to the keyboards performance.

Basically, the Passports keyboard is a very good idea and it definitely has its advantages. Meanwhile I've become accustomed to the stiffness of the keyboard as well, and I even like it.

However, the classic BlackBerry keyboard is just something you couldn't improve much in my opinion. That might also be the reason why I probably couldn't reach the proficiency I had on the Q10 with the Passport.

The capacitive touch features on the Passport are a nice gadget and it is really useful in certain situations, as is the hybrid architecture. The latter, however, can also be a pain sometimes.

The last thing I can bring up is the size of the Passport. Even though I generally like the space it gives you, I personally feel like it is more exhausting to type longer texts on the Passport than it was on a classic BlackBerry keyboard, at least with my hands. That might come from the longer distance the fingers have to travel. The clear square format probably adds something to the kind of uncomfortable typing.

I don't want it to sound like the Passport wouldn't have a good keyboard, because that's not the case but at least for now I still feel more comfortable with a classic keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    AndrewOrlowski and dmlis like this.
    02-04-15 01:16 PM
    Can't speak for the Classic, but I used a Q10 for over a year, and for me the Passport's keyboard works so much better. Partly because of the keys on the Q feeling cramped, and as such I made more errors. And partly because some of the keys on my Q became unresponsive with time - some keys lost their tactile feedback. And, maybe most importantly, the Passport's hybrid keyboard makes typing in other languages so much easier, from my experience. I'm also an avid user of the predictive text and all the touch gestures.

However, if English is your only language and you don't like using the predictive text, I suppose the Classic's keyboard might work better for you. It all depends on the way one uses the phone, I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 02:07 PM
    Own both. Definitely the passport. If you get used to swipe words up you can't go back. And also like the virtual keyboard more tbh

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 and Chris Chin like this.
    02-04-15 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the input guys. I came from a Z30 and a Z3 Compact before, so it was all virtual for me. I love typing on the Classic but is always intrigued in how a combo keyboard such as the PP fares...didn't have a chance to try it out yet

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:32 PM
    02-05-15 10:08 PM
    The passport . F a shift key. the numbers are all on the screen. Easier access in my eyes
    02-05-15 10:17 PM
    Passport is the best for me.It has reduced my typing to a large extent as it learned the common email sentences I type. So all I do is type one letter followed by a series of swipes.Its a huge time saver.

Also passport keys are bigger and less prone to errors.

Sent from Passport
    02-05-15 10:23 PM
    Classic, IMO. I still can't get past the fact that BlackBerry didn't put a proper 4-row keyboard on the Passport.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    02-05-15 11:00 PM
    Did you ever type on a passport?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 10:44 AM
    The Classic is best for me because the 4 row kb allows me to type without selecting symbols from the screen. The non-touch kb also precludes unintentional gestures activating the insertion bubbles and/or related editing features. This is a major reason why the PP couldn't be my daily driver.

It is possible to swipe the PP kb to activate the virtual kb and press the physical key for the symbol needed without looking at the screen, but I'm not a BB user that has the symbol layout memorized.

The tiny PP spacebar also took some getting used to. Looking at pics/vids didn't clue me in to the reality of reaching that little thing that was in constant use. I found it easiest to move my right wrist so I could hit t, g, and space with the that thumb. My other phones are small enough that each thumb gets a half and it's an easy reach.

Overall, the PP and Classic have the two largest physical kbs and the keys feel great. Both give me accuracy I only experienced on the island kb of my 9310 and Q5. As much as I enjoy my 9900, I have to type slower to avoid catching the edges of unwanted keys.
    02-06-15 12:02 PM
    I've used the Q10, Q5, Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic.

I vote Passport. I am in love with the wide keyboard. I find the four row cramped and requires more up-down movement. Passport sits wide in my hands, and I barely move up and down. Also, the double-tap cursor control I find superior to trackpad. Which I found surprising.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    02-06-15 03:32 PM
    I've had most BB10s Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, and had the Classic for a week.

If I were to rate them from greatest to worst it would go like this.

1. Passport
    2. Z30
    3. Classic
    4. Q10
    5. Z10

Basically the larger the keyboard the better the experience, in my experience, and although if I would have gotten the Classic before Passport it could be a different story

The ability to use alt for symbols was nice on Classic but I find the virtual keyboard, and swipe functionality to outweigh that function.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 04:02 PM
    I've used the Q10, Q5, Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic.

I vote Passport. I am in love with the wide keyboard. I find the four row cramped and requires more up-down movement. Passport sits wide in my hands, and I barely move up and down. Also, the double-tap cursor control I find superior to trackpad. Which I found surprising.

Posted via CB10
    I think this is a key point!

The Passport keyboard is nice and big! There is plenty of room. No more cramped typing. Especially the numbers!

Visit my channel, Malamute Love, C0040CA85
    02-06-15 04:40 PM
    Passport...Classic is good but just too cramped for me now I'm used to Passport...big thumbs need big keys and room to move!
    02-06-15 05:25 PM
59 123