Just bought a passport SE yesterday - never used a PKB device before. So struggling? To type at the same speed as I used to. I'm not that slow with it, but it's a bit difficult for me to just fly through when I type. I'm hoping to get used to it in a couple of days. Will I? Or should I just sell it?
    12-04-15 12:04 PM
    I would give it 2 weeks and also maybe check out a few typing apps. There are a few apps you can get to help you with gaining confidence and speed with the keyboard. It only took me a few days to get used to the keyboard, but it will come eventually. One or 2 days is definitely not enough for the vast majority of users. Just be patient. I presume that you have a return period in your purchase.
    12-04-15 12:10 PM
    I bought it of Kijiji. So I've to sell it if I don't like it.
    Let me try the keyboard for a few days and then decide.
    12-04-15 12:18 PM
    I bought it of Kijiji. So I've to sell it if I don't like it.
    Let me try the keyboard for a few days and then decide.
    Ah thats one disadvantage of buying that way. But I am confident that you will get the hang of it fairly soon. Youtube has some great videos on the keyboard, shortcuts, tips and tricks etc. You may find that you are not faster with the keyboard, but I am betting that you will be much, much more accurate. Good luck.
    12-04-15 12:33 PM
    Just bought a passport SE yesterday - never used a PKB device before. So struggling? To type at the same speed as I used to. I'm not that slow with it, but it's a bit difficult for me to just fly through when I type. I'm hoping to get used to it in a couple of days. Will I? Or should I just sell it?
    You will get used to it and become faster with time. I started off the same way when I got my black Passport. My thumbs would even get sore because they weren't used to the extra work, coming from an all touch device. Give it some time and you will adapt.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 12:41 PM
    You will wear on ya and your fingers will enjoy the Passport
    12-04-15 12:45 PM
    One annoying thing is when I flick the words I get a question mark or caps lock on. Anyway to get rid of those soft keys?
    12-04-15 12:47 PM
    I felt the same when I got mine. I was so used to flick typing with my z10. Now I'm pretty fast and I don't even try to use the flick typing because it just doesn't feel the same on a pkb.

Will say that I have adopted a new pkb method of typing where I don't lift my fingers between keys. I kind of just slide my thumbs from key to key.

I must be typing fast. When I'm having a rant while my sister is watching TV I get evil side eye and "Are you composing a freaking novel or something"

When the clickety clack causes angry side eye, you know the speed must be impressive.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 01:53 PM
    One annoying thing is when I flick the words I get a question mark or caps lock on. Anyway to get rid of those soft keys?
    This happened to me quite a bit initially as well. With time, I learned how sensitive the flick is and your finger gesture gets more refined and subtle to compensate. It is hard to explain, but the movement requires a very light flick upwards. Many people, my wife being one, just cannot or refuse to learn this flick gesture and type normally without using the flick. When you are using the keyboard, concentrate on using the tip (or more accurately, the side-tip) of your thumbs in a quick, light (barely touching the keyboard) movement upwards towards the screen. Practice for a bit on a note app etc and just flick the words as they come up on suggestion and disregard what you are actually typing so that you can get the hang of it.
    12-04-15 02:05 PM
    Stay on the keypad, you can start the flick from the bottom row of keys, without touching the soft keys. Or you can tap the word.
    12-04-15 02:06 PM
    Yea been making that mistake too, but am getting better and better.

One thing I have to learn is that the device often predicts the word waaayyyy before I finish and just have to remember to "flick" duh LOL

Little things like when I capitalize the 2nd letter of a word it assumes the whole word is to be capitalized.....so cool :-)

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-04-15 04:22 PM
    Give yourself a week. At least you have the SE. I switched from SE to black because I liked the black form factor but the SE keyboard is easier. I really had to power through the black to get used to the harder press. But now I'm all good range rover all wood.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 07:18 PM
    Great thread. Passport keyboard may not be fastest. But I love typing on pkb.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 09:29 PM
    I used to think that I wouldn't like the physical keyboard anymore after coming from the Z30, but now I could go no other way.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 04:35 PM
    I miss the vkb when I'm typing on the passport sometimes...came from a z10. But the combo of pkb and vkb is growing on me. Esp this
    Help a new passport owner-img_20151205_174049.png

The it's better than the old alt functionality of os7 for everything but numbers

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 04:41 PM
    Give it one to two weeks. Honestly.
    And utilize the swipe up feature to input predicted words.
    Even after two weeks you'll find at times your getting faster using a hard keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 05:41 PM
    I had a Z10 before my Passport. Your comments made me think about how long it took me to get used to the PKB. I'd forgotten totally that it took me some time to get used to it. It's second nature now and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

For me, while I was picking up the speed on my typing, was how much more accurate I am with this keyboard. And for me, accuracy is so much more important than speed. I care about writing properly so accuracy is very important. For me that's the selling point for a PKB and the Passport fits that bill perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 07:28 PM