Hi everyone. This morning I was using BBM on my passport when it crashed. This also crashed my bb hub and stopped all of my apps from opening (they open for a second and then disappear)

I've tried restarting several times, plugging it into my laptop to get it going on link (link says nothing is there) and taking my sim card out. I'm not sure how to get the battery out to reset it that way.

When I restart, the hub tries to load for 2-3 mins then just goes black. BBM also shows up on the app preview screen but its all greyed out and doesnt do anything when you tap it.

I should also add that when I try to open apps and they "disappear", the phone starts to get really hot (top, right-hand corner) so I don't know whether they're all stuck in memory somewhere and causing the CPU to overheat.

Is there anything else I should try, aside from a factory reset? I'd prefer to leave that as a last resort as I don't really want to lose my contacts and photos if I can avoid it.

Your assistance is much appreciated!
    11-26-15 09:48 PM
    Try holding up the volume up and down buttons at the same time and hold them until the blackberry reboots.

  
    11-27-15 03:08 AM
    I gave it a go, but it didn't help
    11-27-15 10:58 PM
    Yeah, you may want to try the reset a few more times bu it sounds like you are heading towards a factory reset through BlackBerry link

P.

Sent by my fantabulous BlackBerry Passport - qui prius respondit quam audiat stultum se esse demonstrat et confusione dignum
    11-29-15 10:40 AM
    OK I've got a bit of an update on this. I just turned on my phone today and plugged it into my laptop to see if I could try and get things going again through Link/Blend. Blackberry Hub has finally loaded (I can see the full list of all my messages) but when I try to open an individual message nothing happens. Apps still won't open. I'm loathe to restart my phone again in case things go backwards.

Has anyone come across a similar state where apps/messages won't open?
    11-30-15 05:24 PM
    It's the first time I see something like this. Weird. Hope someone can assist you

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 05:25 PM
    The following thread may help. I posted a comment as similar happened to me. It does involve a reload of BlackBerry software but it's been fine on my phone ever since. Good luck...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1047952

Posted on CB10 with my  Passport but previously my  Q10
    11-30-15 05:31 PM
    A reload through Autoloader should work. You will lose data, though.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 05:31 PM
    Do a backup and OS reload.
    Upon reinstalling....
    Only reinstall contacts from the back up.
    All your previously installed apps will be in BlackBerry world or Amazon app world under my apps
    Emails and chat apps should refresh.
    Pictures leave on the computer from doing the back up.

There really isn't much you will loose.
    Just need refresing or will be on your computer.
    11-30-15 06:36 PM
    shawnreum: I can't backup, link says the device is connected but "cannot communicate with device" - is there another way to backup that I don't know about?
    11-30-15 07:48 PM
    Have you updated to latest device software?
    11-30-15 07:54 PM
    JBoen: there's no way for me to tell right now, everything's stuck and I can't even get into the device settings to check
    11-30-15 07:56 PM
    There is no way to do a complete back up other than using link, that I'm aware of.

Best I can suggest is.....
    Connect to computer.
    Than go to my computer and search for the phone. It will look like another hard drive on the PC.

There you can drag and drop photos and any music from the phone and place it onto the computer.
    It takes a little bit of search thru the phone using the PC, but it can be done.

As for contacts, if you can get into the contacts app. Then the settings in that app. You can transfer contacts from phone and to SIM card.

After that you could do a OS reload but only if it will connect with Link.
    11-30-15 08:15 PM
    shawnreum: I've tried connecting it to both my Mac and my husband's PC. Both computers recognise that a Blackberry is connected, but in both cases it doesn't show up as a media drive - so I can't copy the files that way. Link recognises that a device is connected on both systems, but says it can't communicate with device and offers to reload to factory settings.

I'm starting to think that there is no solution to this, and may just have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset :~(
    11-30-15 09:06 PM
    shawnreum: I've tried connecting it to both my Mac and my husband's PC. Both computers recognise that a Blackberry is connected, but in both cases it doesn't show up as a media drive - so I can't copy the files that way. Link recognises that a device is connected on both systems, but says it can't communicate with device and offers to reload to factory settings.

I'm starting to think that there is no solution to this, and may just have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset :~(
    Well. I have similar issue today with my one year old Passport. A few days ago, I noticed that some files on my device (not SD Card) could not be deleted. I could not delete them from both the phone and PC. I should've backed up back then. Today, when I renamed a folder in my SD card, there were two folders containing exactly same files. The only difference was the new name and the old name. I deleted the old file. Then, everything under "document" in SD card was gone! Tens of gigabytes of files! Gone! The phone started to act weird. I connected to the laptop, it showed a device was connected but BlackBerry Link did not recognize it. Some folders on my devices were gone too. I tried to open calender and it crashed.

I tried to restore the back up which was two months old, but failed. I decided to run a factory reset. Now, about 5 hours, security wipe is stuck at 90%.

I put my ATT sim card on ATT Q10, which was used only for couple months. To my disappointment, "J" on the keyboard is not responsive. I am not able to press "J".

I searched the forum. Some people suggested to run autoloader, if the phone is stuck on security wipe.

The Passport is probably 10 months old. 128G SD card is brand new.

I wish some one could help me too.
    11-30-15 10:01 PM

Will Wi-Fi transfer work?
    Or maybe cloud storage of some sorts?
    Since usb doesn't seem to be an option.
    11-30-15 11:27 PM
    Will Wi-Fi transfer work?
    Or maybe cloud storage of some sorts?
    Since usb doesn't seem to be an option.
    Unfortunately not. I can connect to our home wi-fi network but the device doesn't appear as an accessible location on my laptop or my husband's PC.
    12-01-15 05:29 PM
    Well. I have similar issue today with my one year old Passport. A few days ago, I noticed that some files on my device (not SD Card) could not be deleted. I could not delete them from both the phone and PC. I should've backed up back then. Today, when I renamed a folder in my SD card, there were two folders containing exactly same files. The only difference was the new name and the old name. I deleted the old file. Then, everything under "document" in SD card was gone! Tens of gigabytes of files! Gone! The phone started to act weird. I connected to the laptop, it showed a device was connected but BlackBerry Link did not recognize it. Some folders on my devices were gone too. I tried to open calender and it crashed.

I tried to restore the back up which was two months old, but failed. I decided to run a factory reset. Now, about 5 hours, security wipe is stuck at 90%.

I put my ATT sim card on ATT Q10, which was used only for couple months. To my disappointment, "J" on the keyboard is not responsive. I am not able to press "J".

I searched the forum. Some people suggested to run autoloader, if the phone is stuck on security wipe.

The Passport is probably 10 months old. 128G SD card is brand new.

I wish some one could help me too.
    I'm sorry to hear you're having issues as well weiberry It's really disappointing, because my last 4 or 5 phones have been Blackberrys and I've never had any problems in the past, like ever! It sounds like you're much worse off than me, though. I didn't have 10GB+ of files on mine, the only thing I'm really going to lose are my contacts and all my photos (my fault for not backing up) I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and do a factory reset, because I'm about 4 weeks away from having a baby and I need my phone to be working (I'm just using my old z10 at the moment, which is fine, but I'd rather have my passport working!) I guess I should know better than not to backup my files!
    12-01-15 05:39 PM
    How does it go? Did you try hold power off for 10s, and turn back on while PP is connected to your PC and Link is opened?
    12-01-15 10:32 PM
    How does it go? Did you try hold power off for 10s, and turn back on while PP is connected to your PC and Link is opened?
    Yep, tried all of these things. No love

One time when I restarted, I managed to get all of my messages to appear in the Hub, but I haven't been able to replicate that since. Not that it made any difference - I wasn't able to open the messages anyway!
    12-02-15 12:43 AM
    Close*BlackBerry Link (and BlackBerry Desktop Software) if installed.
    Detach all BlackBerry smartphones, including the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
    Using Internet Explorer, navigate to*http://www.BlackBerry.com/updates, scroll down the page and click the*Check for Updates*button.
    Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
    Hold the power button for 10 seconds until*the*BlackBerry*smartphone turns off, then press the power button again to*power*it*on. A prompt will appear and the BlackBerry smartphone will show in the drop down list shortly after the LED lights up*red*(USB: UNKNOWN*or*USB: BlackBerry (PIN)*may*also*be*displayed).
    Click the*OK*button*within*15*seconds*to*continu‎e.

Try this. It has saved a lot of people's day.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 04:55 AM
    I'm sorry to hear you're having issues as well weiberry It's really disappointing, because my last 4 or 5 phones have been Blackberrys and I've never had any problems in the past, like ever! It sounds like you're much worse off than me, though. I didn't have 10GB+ of files on mine, the only thing I'm really going to lose are my contacts and all my photos (my fault for not backing up) I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and do a factory reset, because I'm about 4 weeks away from having a baby and I need my phone to be working (I'm just using my old z10 at the moment, which is fine, but I'd rather have my passport working!) I guess I should know better than not to backup my files!
    I did a factory reset and it took a few days and then still stuck. I was out of patience and tried the method of autoloader. I connected the phone to laptop, hard reset the phone till an error message was shown, then shut down BlackBerry link and started autoloader. I was able to restore some files by using BlackBerry Link.

I formatted my SD card. I don't know whether or not that was the cause of crash of file managers.

Good to have Passport back! I used Q10 for a few weeks. Passport is still fantastic.
    12-03-15 01:10 AM