I got my passport today after long time to waiting.

Unfortunatily, I found my spacebar couldn't press due to that the distance to actuation point is 0mm.

Anyone has the same issue?

What should I do?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:08 AM
    Could you be a bit more specific about the issue? I'm not sure what you mean by actuation point being zero.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:16 AM
    Maybe he is saying that space bar is getting activated with a touch rather than a press..

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:37 AM
    Maybe he is saying that space bar is getting activated with a touch rather than a press..

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case then he has a collapsed dome on the spacebar key. I actually ran into this issue with L and M keys on a Passport I received a few days ago and documented it in the "Another Passport defect" thread.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:47 AM
    I mean the travel distance of my spacebar is almost zero.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:57 AM
    Return it
    11-13-14 03:32 AM
    If that's the case then he has a collapsed dome on the spacebar key. I actually ran into this issue with L and M keys on a Passport I received a few days ago and documented it in the "Another Passport defect" thread.

Posted via CB10
    That is just the same issue. My N, M and L keys does not work very well.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:45 AM
    Yes, it seems that somebody at BlackBerry does not understand that in order to type on a physical keyboard the keys do have to actuate. It's crazy that these devices would even make it off of the assembly line. I would return that device right away. Unfortunately this means more waiting overall.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:24 AM
    I suggest you should send your device back and get another one. This is not that kind of problem you can fix via software update or which will magically go away after a few days.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 07:08 AM
    I suggest you should send your device back and get another one. This is not that kind of problem you can fix via software update or which will magically go away after a few days.

Posted via CB10
    No, and it will get worse over time with the key not working at all. When the rubber dome collapses the keyboard needs to be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 09:56 AM
    I got my passport today after long time to waiting.

Unfortunatily, I found my spacebar couldn't press due to that the distance to actuation point is 0mm.

Anyone has the same issue?

What should I do?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry please re-explain as what you described does not make sense??

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-13-14 11:11 AM
    No, and it will get worse over time with the key not working at all. When the rubber dome collapses the keyboard needs to be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    This is my first physical keyboard, how much would a replacement be ( hoping I never need one) and are they needed often?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 12:17 PM
    Usually they aren't needed often. Since you bought a new device you should simply claim your warranty and get a working device. Having such a key is a defect and shouldn't be accepted, especially not on such an expensive device.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    11-13-14 03:34 PM
    Yes, it seems that somebody at BlackBerry does not understand that in order to type on a physical keyboard the keys do have to actuate. It's crazy that these devices would even make it off of the assembly line. I would return that device right away. Unfortunately this means more waiting overall.

Posted via CB10
    Yet it seems like once again you don't understand or grasp the concept of mass production do you?? I highly doubt BlackBerry or any mass producing manufacturer have people at the end of the line checking every single item for defects. They probably have people that quickly check the devices for any major defects but to expect them to check every single device with a microscope is unreasonable.

This is the thing with mass production in that invariably a few items will go through the Q&A process undetected. That's just how it is with mass produced items unfortunately, some things will get through with defects.

Anyhow OP get your device replaced as it's most definitely defective.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:44 PM
    This is my first physical keyboard, how much would a replacement be ( hoping I never need one) and are they needed often?

Posted via CB10
    Usually this does not have to be done for the life of the device. However, right now even if you wanted to replace the Passport keyboard, there aren't any aftermarket available, and so far nobody has attempted to take the keyboard apart. I've done a complete teardown of everything but the keyboard. I has concerns around damaging the touch sensitive portion of the keyboard as it is not immediately apparent how the keyboard is put together. At this stage I definitely do not recommend trying to do something like this yourself.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:44 PM