It's just about exactly one year ago that I got my Passport. I don't remember the exact date, but it was right around this time. This seems like a good time to reflect on the past and future.

Not long after getting the Passport, I posted that it was the best phone I ever had. In some ways, that remains true. I immediately fell in love with the wide screen. It took a little longer to adapt to the keyboard, but I was enthusiastic enough to stay with it, and it didn't take that long before it was in muscle memory. I've had no problems with the screen corner lifting. The sound quality and build quality are still pleasing to me.

I did have some problems along the way. I got the double-typing virus, although it was a very mild case. The most recent update has fixed it, but I did live with it for months. I recently had picture password just go away; then a week later it came back. Very mysterious. Some Android apps stopped working, but none were dealbreakers for me. The Kindle app, which is a dealbreaker, still works, but loads much more slowly than it used to. I don't like the way that's trending. BB Assistant seems less robust than it used to be. The lack of update to the native Facebook app is a concern.

In short, for reasons that are all too familiar to anyone who spends any time on CB, there are a lot of little signs that my Passport is passing into orphanhood, along with BB10 itself. That's okay. A year in, and it's still working well enough, and will continue to for at least another year, I'm sure.

In January I purchased a OnePlus One, mainly because I got one for my wife around the same time I got the Passport, and thought it looked like a good phone for the price. Since getting it, I've switched back and forth, but I still use the Passport about 75% of the time, mainly because of the wide screen. The Android runtime, for those of us who use it, does give BB10 a "cobbled-together" feel that can never go away. It mostly doesn't bother me, except when it does.

If BlackBerry is going to be mostly Android going forward, I'd love to be able to try BB Android on my Passport, but I doubt that's going to be an option.

So, Happy birthday Passport. Make a wish.
    09-16-15 11:53 AM
    I think the Passport form factor is a marketing tool all on it's own. Really hope they release a Passport2 with Android, using the same updated hardware as the Slider.... Shouldn't be too much development cost in that.
    09-16-15 12:02 PM
    I think the Passport form factor is a marketing tool all on it's own. Really hope they release a Passport2 with Android, using the same updated hardware as the Slider.... Shouldn't be too much development cost in that.
    It's the only BlackBerry I've ever owned that has literally turned heads and provoked comments and questions--even a year later. The thread, "How have people reacted to your Passport", is still alive and kicking. I agree, this form factor should be a permanent entry in BlackBerry's hardware lineup. If there continues to be a hardware lineup.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-16-15 12:13 PM
    Love my OG Passport, it will have to be pried from my cold dead hand, the other hand holding my Silver Edition. Best BlackBerry devices and a form factor I do not want to live without. BlackBerry 10 is awesome, I will use it for as long as humanly possible. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry has no intentions of abandoning BlackBerry 10 just because they're building an android device(s).

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 01:38 AM
    Any slow down of BlackBerry 10 development is likely due to the fact BlackBerry as a whole was focused on securing android for the Venice and beyond. Once that is established in the market, they can focus more on both OS' simultaneously.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 01:40 AM