I don't understand one-hand writing obsession... are you writing while driving or what?
    dbiv5445, dejanh and JLErwin3 like this.
    08-15-14 08:43 AM
    Thanks for sharing, OP and I hope you (or the actual owner of the device) don't get into any hot water for this posting!

I used to be all about compact phones. When I was rocking the 8900, I scoffed at the size of the Bold 9000. Until I got one. Then I used a 9900 for the longest time and rejected anything larger and laughed at the iPhone 4. And then I got the Z10. And now I have Z30. So for me, size is not an issue. That capacitive is just too sick not to have!!!

Posted via CB10
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    08-15-14 08:50 AM
    Lol dude you posted a screenshot of your IMEI you probably should hide that because they can trace that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CB Forums mobile app
    08-15-14 09:31 AM
    I think calling it a Phablet is overstating it a tad. I mean it fits in John Chen's hand and he doesn't have big hands.

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    08-15-14 09:50 AM
    I think calling it a Phablet is overstating it a tad. I mean it fits in John Chen's hand and he doesn't have big hands.

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    I feel as if the size of the Passport has been greatly exaggerated. I see men holding it and looks like any modern smartphone. Also compared to other phone it really puts it into perspective.

Seeing it next to my phone really made me go "oh... It's not that big!"
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    08-15-14 09:55 AM
    When driving, instead of typing with one hand, why not use the BlackBerry Assistant. That would be safer for you, and everyone else on the road.

Posted via CB10 on the great Z30
    dbiv5445 and BlackQtCoder like this.
    08-15-14 10:01 AM
    My thoughts on the one handed typing concerns-
    I have a Q10 and to be honest, with word prediction very rarely do I have to finish typing any word at all. And it suppose to be even better with the newer phones. So IMO, unless you start every sentence with a "P", stretching for that letter shouldn't happen very often. And maybe if you do and do it enough it might learn that too. And then there is always voice to text, that works pretty well too.

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    spike12 and SPNKr like this.
    08-15-14 10:19 AM
    Just curious, why is everyone saying the "P" key may be the hardest to reach. I assume most people are right handed and therefore would one-hand type with their right hand. In that situation, wouldn't the "Q" key be the one to cause concern?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 10:53 AM
    Just curious, why is everyone saying the "P" key may be the hardest to reach. I assume most people are right handed and therefore would one-hand type with their right hand. In that situation, wouldn't the "Q" key be the one to cause concern?

Posted via CB10
    LOL!
    I thought the same too!!
    Righty here.

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    08-15-14 11:10 AM
    When driving, instead of typing with one hand, why not use the BlackBerry Assistant. That would be safer for you, and everyone else on the road.

Posted via CB10 on the great Z30
    Exactly
    08-15-14 11:15 AM
    Thanks goes out to the OP for starting this conversation! I'm still on the fence on this one but seeing the pics and reading everyone's comments helps put things into perspective for me. I've always prefered two handed typing regardless of device (I have the 9930 now) so the only concern I have regarding size is the capability to fit into the suit jacket pocket without bulging out. I would still like to see it laying flat on a table. I also hardly ever hold a phone to my ear but instead either use loud speaker or ear piece, depending on my surroundings. Personally, I think this device looks professional and sets itself apart from the rest. Thanks everyone for all the comments, this is getting interesting.
    08-15-14 11:29 AM
    One handed typing on the Passport can be done very easily. When typing with one hand and needing a key out of reach, simply move the device to the other hand and continue. Repeat as necessary.
    08-15-14 11:54 AM
    One handed typing on the Passport can be done very easily. When typing with one hand and needing a key out of reach, simply move the device to the other hand and continue. Repeat as necessary.
    Juggling the passport Lmao.
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 11:59 AM
    One hand typing would be easily achieve. Just grew bigger hands.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    And we'll all be happier when we mind our P's and Q's
    spike12 likes this.
    08-15-14 01:24 PM
    I don't think the question is really to write with 1 hand. I mean, even with a Q10 or Z10, when I'm typing in, I prefer a lot using two hands. When I'm writing something, I have my two hands free, no problem.

The issue is more about being able swiping with 1 hand. So, for example, you're walking, you have something in your right hand (a bag, the hand of your son, the cutten hand of a zombie you just killed, ... whatever) and your pocket is vibrating because of a call. Then, it is usefull being able to, with your left hand only, get your phone out from your pocket, swipe the screen from right to left and being able answering the call... That's the kind of 1 hand usage I personnaly envisage the most, not 1 hand for typing, but 1 hand for basic usages on the go (look at the watch on your phone, switch on the bluetooth and play music to your headset,...)

Am I wrong stating that?
    Is that usage still envisageable on the Passport? That's personnaly my main concern.

Now, the thing about how silly you could look calling with that; just make this test: Get your "paper" passport and put it near your ear. Now, put a Z30 or same sized phone. Which is looking the more silly to you? I personnaly (took this test) think the answer is not that obvious and the Passport could win in that
    dejanh likes this.
    08-15-14 01:57 PM
    And we'll all be happier when we mind our P's and Q's
    There it is. The reference that I have never seen given with respect to a qwerty keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 03:09 PM
    I don't think the question is really to write with 1 hand. I mean, even with a Q10 or Z10, when I'm typing in, I prefer a lot using two hands. When I'm writing something, I have my two hands free, no problem.

The issue is more about being able swiping with 1 hand. So, for example, you're walking, you have something in your right hand (a bag, the hand of your son, the cutten hand of a zombie you just killed, ... whatever) and your pocket is vibrating because of a call. Then, it is usefull being able to, with your left hand only, get your phone out from your pocket, swipe the screen from right to left and being able answering the call... That's the kind of 1 hand usage I personnaly envisage the most, not 1 hand for typing, but 1 hand for basic usages on the go (look at the watch on your phone, switch on the bluetooth and play music to your headset,...)

Am I wrong stating that?
    Is that usage still envisageable on the Passport? That's personnaly my main concern.

Now, the thing about how silly you could look calling with that; just make this test: Get your "paper" passport and put it near your ear. Now, put a Z30 or same sized phone. Which is looking the more silly to you? I personnaly (took this test) think the answer is not that obvious and the Passport could win in that
    I for one would like to see an option for left hand operation. Just reverse everything.

As for the zombie hand. Probably just easier to put it in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 03:11 PM
    As for the zombie hand. Probably just easier to put it in your pocket.
    Let's say you cut the whole arm if it's better figuring out the situation then

An option to invert everything as gestures could be good indeed, good idea!
    08-15-14 03:48 PM
    By Scalemaster 24
    "I wonder if you turn the phone 90 degrees so the keys are all on the right, if you could type sideways.
    (E.g . Instead if the bottom right of the phone in your Palm, yoy would position the phone with the bottom left in your Palm.

Naturally our fingers can reach further up and down, than left right. So if you practice, maybe you can type sideways? "

That's an interesting thought. Good thinking outside the box!
    08-15-14 08:45 PM
    Would it be possible to type one-handed using something like the FlyGrip? FlyGrip - FlyGrip
    08-15-14 09:25 PM
    Would it be possible to type one-handed using something like the FlyGrip? FlyGrip - FlyGrip
    Doubtful. The width of the device is a challenge as large as holding it one handed. This contraption may only help with balance & grip...

What we need are thumb extensions, lol

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 08-15-14 at 11:00 PM.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-15-14 10:47 PM
    Don't forget, the passport also has swipe-up to auto type words.
    So if the prediction is even a little bit better, 1 handed typing should be fine.

While I usually operate my phone with 1 hand, I almost always use two hands to type. When I use one hand to type I'm usually busy and ill use the swipe up to auto enter words

Also, 10.3 voice dictation is amazing
    08-16-14 12:41 AM
    When I need to type with one hand with the Z10 I use flick typing. Same thing will happen with passport I'd say.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-16-14 04:37 PM
    Funny, I'm a righty but most often when I go one handed with my Q10 it's in my left- never thought of that 'till I read this thread. Hmmm, interesting... just practiced and am better one handy with the left, or "typing stranger" as it will be referred to henceforth.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    08-16-14 08:30 PM
92 1234