My passport has been giving me problems with the GPS recently where it took quite awhile to lock into my location. I have tried various apps like the native Maps(stuck in Updating Route), Google Maps, Waze and all. I have no problems with locking in my position with my cheap Android phone.

Ran BBVE and there are more than 4 satellites found, so I suppose it should be fine.
    02-09-17 12:46 AM
    Does Waze and gmaps fix your location eventually?

Similar problem here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1098600
    02-09-17 12:58 AM
    It doesn't. However, after driving around aimlessly for 20 minutes or so, it would somehow pick up my location.
    02-09-17 01:22 AM
    I assume you know the apps you mention require a mobile network connection or wifi to function properly.

In the thread I posted, the OP download the trial Genius Maps from BBW. Seamed to kick his android apps into gear.
    02-09-17 02:15 AM
    Unfortunately, the problem is also on the native Maps app too. So, I don't think this is an Android issue. Plus, it manages to find my location after a while...
    02-09-17 03:07 AM
    Well, BB Maps has it own issues. What OS are you running?
    02-09-17 03:12 AM
    I'm on 10.3.2.2836
    02-09-17 03:20 AM
    Download a simple app like Hello GPS to test the GPS functionality. Do this with mobile and wifi off.
    02-09-17 03:35 AM
    Turning on mobile data helps the GPS to fix your location faster with the cell tower location. Even an unprovisioned sim card would help. As an aside, 4 or 5 satellites are not good enough for navigation.
    02-09-17 10:39 AM
    Turning on mobile data helps the GPS to fix your location faster with the cell tower location. Even an unprovisioned sim card would help. As an aside, 4 or 5 satellites are not good enough for navigation.
    So does that mean Maps will not lock into your position even though you got 4 or 5 satellites?
    02-15-17 01:27 AM
    4 sats are the minimum required to get a fix. Like YeemanBB says, your phone also uses the network towers to enhance the fix. My suggestion to you is meant to test your GPS only functionality. If its good, then it will be ruled out as a problem.
    02-15-17 03:26 AM
    So does that mean Maps will not lock into your position even though you got 4 or 5 satellites?
    Most maps apps will give you a location within several hundred feet. But that is not accurate enough for navigation purposes.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-15-17 10:03 AM
    Most maps apps will give you a location within several hundred feet. But that is not accurate enough for navigation purposes.
    In fact the actual problem I have is getting stuck at the Updating Route message if I use Maps. If my position is locked in, it should bring me to the navigation screen. Likewise in Google maps, it will start telling me which way to go everytime my position is locked.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-17 10:27 AM
    Maps may give you a route based on the inaccurate position and gives you first set of instructions. That's what happens when I get out of my underground garage and Maps gives me weird instructions until the gps get an accurate fix, then it provides proper navigation. In your case where you can't get an accurate fix, subsequent navigation will fail.

Suggest that you investigate why your gps gets only 4/5 satellites. In an unobstructed sky, you should get 15/16 out of 21/22 available satellites. Either your gps antenna is faulty or your car is shielding the satellite signals.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 11:12 AM
    I had discovered that it is not the no. of satellites found that is causing the issue. It is rather the failure of positioning in. I have attached the test screen from the GPS testing app and it's showing there No Fix even though there were more than 10 satellites detected. On my other android phone, it says 3d Fix and navigation works perfectly.
    GPS taking long time to lock in location-img_20170218_142054.png

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 12:25 AM
    I think I have this same issue. Google maps dot remains grey instead of turning blue even though I get 19 satellites in BBVE.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 12:57 AM
    Since your app is detecting the satellites, I think you have a software problem because it is not completing the calculation for a fix. When was the last OS update and did it start happening after the update?
    02-18-17 05:28 AM
    I finally got it sorted out.

The real cause of the problem is actually the network carrier itself. Now that I have switched providers I never have this problem again.

It seems that the carrier is not very helpful in sending location data whenever GPS is first switched on. Could be due to the reception. I figured it out when I realise the GPS works much better without a sim card in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 07:40 AM
    I finally got it sorted out.

The real cause of the problem is actually the network carrier itself. Now that I have switched providers I never have this problem again.

It seems that the carrier is not very helpful in sending location data whenever GPS is first switched on. Could be due to the reception. I figured it out when I realise the GPS works much better without a sim card in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear. Interesting, the carrier network location assist was sending data the apps couldn't process.
    02-28-17 11:34 PM