I loaded a local news app from SNAP. When it starts it says I need Google play services. How do I get that on my Passport?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 09:32 PM
    Google Play Services can't be installed on a BlackBerry. Sometimes you can just ignore when an app requests Google Play Services. In some cases certain functions will work and others will not. In others a patched version of the APK file will allow an Android app that otherwise wouldn't run to work. Some people use a patched version of GPS with a patched app as a work around, but that still doesn't allow Google Play Services to run on a BlackBerry.
    atlasmike likes this.
    05-21-15 09:55 PM
    Thanks. I also found Cobalt's thread on how to run Google play services. I think I will just delete the app that won't run instead of going through all that jazz to get service to run.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 10:03 PM
    Why won't Google services run? Is it BB won't pay a fee? Why isn't Google native with the Android environment? Amazon is like BB when it comes to apps...

If we can run google play services then I can run google wallet then I'd be one happy camper because I can then tap and pay with NFC... Don't BB want me to be happy ROFL...?
    hemant badade likes this.
    05-21-15 10:06 PM
    I'm sure BlackBerry want us to be happy... but spending another cost on their part just to make us happy is another story...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 10:58 PM
    Why won't Google services run? Is it BB won't pay a fee? Why isn't Google native with the Android environment? Amazon is like BB when it comes to apps...

If we can run google play services then I can run google wallet then I'd be one happy camper because I can then tap and pay with NFC... Don't BB want me to be happy ROFL...?
    Read this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=953753

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-21-15 11:05 PM
    So as I thought it comes down to money. Google does make exceptions to that other stuff about OHA and Android being the base system as evidenced with their relationship with Apple. But I believe BB would not only have to pay, but agree to make Google services very prominent on their devices and perhaps move all BB apps to the Google store.

There's another thread about closing the app gap, here's one way, partner with Google... Perhaps have an Enterprise OS with no Google and a Consumer OS that is Google laden to their satisfaction... Partnering with Google would let BB focus on hardware and it's security business while Google would do the heavy lifting for the third party app. And having Google native to BB would make it attractive to a much larger market.

Simply, the iOS market, especially in mature markets, has been too big, and too wealthy, to overlook, so Google has built their own iOS-native Google applications for iOS. Technically, Google could do the same thing for Windows Phone or BB10, but so far has chosen not to, giving the reason that those OSs simply don’t have enough marketshare to make the development and support costs worthwhile IMO
    05-21-15 11:55 PM
    Erm, sorry to side track... I, too, have installed snap 2.0.0.2 to the Passport... May I ask, if the Google Play is actually an updated version?
    05-22-15 01:12 AM
    Yes, Play Store is available in the latest version, which is 5.5.12.

Get it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11189556
    atlasmike likes this.
    05-22-15 01:25 AM

Get it here:
    Google Play Store for Blackberry 10 (supports buying and downloading) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Get it here:
    Google Play Store for Blackberry 10 (supports buying and downloading) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Erm im already on SNAP, do i need to remove it (along with the Andriod Apps already installed via snap) and use the method in the given URL instead?
    05-22-15 01:43 AM
    So as I thought it comes down to money. Google does make exceptions to that other stuff about OHA and Android being the base system as evidenced with their relationship with Apple.
    Google Play Services are not available on Apple, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Yes, Google has developed many apps for Apple because of its huge user base though. This would never happen now for BlackBerry with its tiny market share, and they wouldn't even have enough money to drop on Google's desk to convince them otherwise.

In the meantime, this has everything to do with OHA.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 06:06 AM
    The good thing is that you can keep Snap and install Google Play Store. Both apps can co-exist on the same device.
    Trini-34 and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-22-15 06:06 AM
    I installed the 3 files for google play store but found it was too much of a hassle. I kept receiving notices from google maps (that I previously had installed) that it required google services or something. Nothing would stop this notice. Also....just having it on the phone sucked the battery life hard. All of this for auto-updates? Snap gave me the same basic experience. Please tell me I'm missing something here.
    05-22-15 07:36 AM
    I installed the 3 files for google play store but found it was too much of a hassle. I kept receiving notices from google maps (that I previously had installed) that it required google services or something. Nothing would stop this notice. Also....just having it on the phone sucked the battery life hard. All of this for auto-updates? Snap gave me the same basic experience. Please tell me I'm missing something here.
    If you need obb files and in-app purchases, then you have no choice. Otherwise Snap is awesome.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 08:16 AM
    If your oppinion is that installing 3 apk file directly from a downloadlink is such much more complicated than using a PC, a USB cable and additonal software to sideload snap, then I can't change that. The 3 files are required because the Android runtime simply LACKS some essential components to run the Play Store.

The notifications of Play Store can simply be turned off this way:

Run Blackberry Google ID
    Go to options menu in top right, choose Android Settings
    Go to Apps, then Google Maps and then unselect the notifications

This works for any app, btw.

Play Store is not known to suck battery. I don't know what evidence you have that it does. You can go to Blackberry Settings -> App Manager -> Battery -> Google Play and make a screenshot of the battery usage of the Play Store. It will hardly be higher than 0.xx percent (unless your run it 7x27).

If you install all Play Store components, you additonally get your starred places in Google Maps and you'll have the favorites sync feature in Google Chrome. Just to be said.

But anyway. Feel free to use the what serves you most.
    Superfly_FR and Blacklatino like this.
    05-22-15 09:26 AM
    Google Play Services are not available on Apple, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Yes, Google has developed many apps for Apple because of its huge user base though. This would never happen now for BlackBerry with its tiny market share, and they wouldn't even have enough money to drop on Google's desk to convince them otherwise.

In the meantime, this has everything to do with OHA.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    I think your thinking is limited by the box. What does Google get for having Android, an open source OS as its base OS? What does Goggle get for having an Android logo with certain dimensions displayed? OHA is being enforced because they can, not because it benefits them except to say that Android = Google dominated device. The fact, as you state, that Google developed apps for Apple and other devices like TV's says I'm right.

The fact that Google play services are not available on Apple might have to do with Apple as much as Google. Apple is pushing their iCloud, Apple Pay etc... They would be cutting off their own revenue by allowing "too much" Google access to iOS devices.

But if BB bowed before the king, kissed his ring and offered its current 1% market share to the master, the wheels would start churning at Google (and those are the wheels to have churn on your behalf) who would then turn BB 1% share into something larger because then every consumer BB device sold would be basically, "Powered by Google"... And that "Powered by Google" is worth more to Google than the Android logo...

The Chrome browser would then be default along with asking you to set up a Gmail account during setup so you can wirelessly sync your contact, Calendar and Cloud service etc...

Just saying that Google services are native to the "New Blackberry" would sell consumer devices because in the end, if you peel back the layers, where people really worship is at Google, not Android.
    05-22-15 10:14 AM

Get it here:
    How do we look on our device to see what version we have? I went to "App Manager ==> Device Monitor ==> Storage ==> Play Store" and mines says 1.0.8035.800???
    05-22-15 10:20 AM
    I think your thinking is limited by the box. What does Google get for having Android, an open source OS as its base OS? What does Goggle get for having an Android logo with certain dimensions displayed? OHA is being enforced because they can, not because it benefits them except to say that Android = Google dominated device. The fact, as you state, that Google developed apps for Apple and other devices like TV's says I'm right.

The fact that Google play services are not available on Apple might have to do with Apple as much as Google. Apple is pushing their iCloud, Apple Pay etc... They would be cutting off their own revenue by allowing "too much" Google access to iOS devices.

But if BB bowed before the king, kissed his ring and offered its current 1% market share to the master, the wheels would start churning at Google (and those are the wheels to have churn on your behalf) who would then turn BB 1% share into something larger because then every consumer BB device sold would be basically, "Powered by Google"... And that "Powered by Google" is worth more to Google than the Android logo...

The Chrome browser would then be default along with asking you to set up a Gmail account during setup so you can wirelessly sync your contact, Calendar and Cloud service etc...

Just saying that Google services are native to the "New Blackberry" would sell consumer devices because in the end, if you peel back the layers, where people really worship is at Google, not Android.
    Who are you arguing with?

You: why can't we have Google Play Services?
    Me: because of OHA, see link.
    You: but Google made an exception for Apple.
    Me: not really, Apple does not have Google Play Services either. Google develops apps for Apple however because it is worth their while.
    You: all this stuff above. ?!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-22-15 11:36 AM
    How do we look on our device to see what version we have? I went to "App Manager ==> Device Monitor ==> Storage ==> Play Store" and mines says 1.0.8035.800???
    You can see the version of the store directly in Play Store itself. Run the Store and then side swipe in the options. Then choose settings and you'll see the version/build right at the end of the list.
    05-22-15 12:15 PM

Get it here:
    I'll have to give this a shot. But this is differnt than Google Play Services? I need Google Play Services to make some Android app work on my BB that needs access to the GPS right?
    05-22-15 02:02 PM
    I'll have to give this a shot. But this is differnt than Google Play Services? I need Google Play Services to make some Android app work on my BB that needs access to the GPS right?
    Yes. Different things.

Google Play Services - no
    Google Play Store - yes

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 02:28 PM
    Can the mods please make one of these threads a sticky?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-22-15 02:38 PM
    You can see the version of the store directly in Play Store itself. Run the Store and then side swipe in the options. Then choose settings and you'll see the version/build right at the end of the list.
    Cool, I'm on 5.5.8 but I'm working ok, do I really need to update?
    05-22-15 04:24 PM
    Who are you arguing with?

You: why can't we have Google Play Services?
    Me: because of OHA, see link.
    You: but Google made an exception for Apple.
    Me: not really, Apple does not have Google Play Services either. Google develops apps for Apple however because it is worth their while.
    You: all this stuff above. ?!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    You mean you can't run my logic by BB? I thought you were the man!
    05-22-15 04:27 PM
    Thanks Cobalt232!

Download the 3 files listed below to your Blackberry device by clicking on the download links. Then install and run the files in the described order.

Step 1: Add a Google system account to your device
    Install com.google.android.gsf.login. Run the app and login with your Google credentials. The app will close (minimize) if the step completed successfully.

Step 2: Register your device with Google Play
    Install cobalt.blackberry.androidID. Run the app and register your device with Google Play. Close the app after successfull registration.

Step 3: Install Google Play Store
    Install com.android.vending. Run and enjoy the Play Store!

Met with an error stating i dont have enough storage face when performing step 1, any one can help?
    05-22-15 09:17 PM
53 123