Hi All

Just suddenly got a black screen while writing this post, so now I've got to do it all over again!!!

I've just bought a Passport SE after two years (and counting) with my Z10 and find I can't load Kindle. I don't want to use the Android version.

I understand it's possible to get Kindle via Blackberry Link, but I don't know quite how to do it. Both my Z10 and Passport have the same OS version and the Z10 has Kindle on it. Could someone please explain in "***** proof" terms, how to get the Kindle on my Passport? I presume you use a recent backup? Does Link recognise the different models?

Many thanks
    05-04-16 04:20 PM
    Launch Link (without a device plugged in) and click on Switch Devices at the top of the Home page. Follow the instructions on the screen (it will have you plug your new device in first).
    vcsult and semime like this.
    05-04-16 04:37 PM
    Hi All

Just suddenly got a black screen while writing this post, so now I've got to do it all over again!!!

I've just bought a Passport SE after two years (and counting) with my Z10 and find I can't load Kindle. I don't want to use the Android version.

I understand it's possible to get Kindle via Blackberry Link, but I don't know quite how to do it. Both my Z10 and Passport have the same OS version and the Z10 has Kindle on it. Could someone please explain in "***** proof" terms, how to get the Kindle on my Passport? I presume you use a recent backup? Does Link recognise the different models?

Many thanks
    Regarding a version of Kindle for BlackBerry 10... it isn't a supported device (the Passport) so you won't find it available through BBW. The Kindle for BlackBerry 10 you're using on your Z10 is an android port so I don't quite understand your aversion to Android - you're already using it

To get it on your Passport you can either install it via your pre-installed Amazon app or download the apk to the Passport and install directly.
    05-04-16 04:44 PM
    Launch Link (without a device plugged in) and click on Switch Devices at the top of the Home page. Follow the instructions on the screen (it will have you plug your new device in first).
    That worked perfectly, thank you so much. Actually quite amazing that you can select just ONE installed app from a backup.
    05-04-16 05:09 PM
    The Kindle for BlackBerry 10 you're using on your Z10 is an android port so I don't quite understand your aversion to Android - you're already using it.
    No, it's the original one downloaded from Blackberry World. And now I have it on my Passport, as well as my Z10, so I'm happy.
    semime likes this.
    05-04-16 05:12 PM
    No, it's the original one downloaded from Blackberry World. And now I have it on my Passport, as well as my Z10, so I'm happy.
    Yes that IS an android port, it is not native

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 07:39 PM
    Yes that IS an android port, it is not native

Posted via CB10
    So why he could download it from BBW before. Anyone knows why?
    Tks.
    05-04-16 07:47 PM
    The version I downloaded from Blackberry World was presumably configured especially for Blackberry. It was listed as "Kindle for Blackberry". Probably still available for Z10 (and others).
    05-04-16 07:56 PM
    Yes that IS an android port, it is not native.
    Well, it's near enough native, if it's called "Kindle for Blackberry". IOW, I did not download it via an Android port - that wasn't even available then (OS 10.2).
    05-04-16 07:58 PM
    So why he could download it from BBW before. Anyone knows why?
    Tks.
    The Kindle for BlackBerry app is available and officially supported only on certain BB10 devices for reasons unknown to me. It is not officially supported on the Passport, therefore unavailable to those users on BBW. If I had to guess I would suspect that with waning interest in the slowly dying platform Amazon simply didn't exert effort or resources in updating the listing to "officially support" new devices as they appeared.

OP downloaded the app through BBW from a supported device, presumably the Z10. When they moved on to the Passport, it simply doesn't show up because it's not a support device.

The only apps available through BBW are either native, android, or webworks. Amazon has never made a native Kindle app. It is the ported Android (and most likely version 2.0.0.1) and therefore available to those devices Amazon has chosen to support.

Using BlackBerry Link as they did is just another way to move and install apps to the device. Just as effective /efficient is installing through Amazon, Google Play Store, Snap, or the apk directly. It's all about preference and choice.

The important thing is OP has their Kindle app functioning on their Passport and they are happy. Eventually they'll come to terms with they're using an Android app... or not
    cuongtm likes this.
    05-04-16 11:26 PM
    <snip>

The important thing is OP has their Kindle app functioning on their Passport and they are happy. Eventually they'll come to terms with they're using an Android app... or not
    I understand what you said above (and thank you for posting it), BUT if it was originally downloaded (as Kindle for Blackberry) onto a device that was (at that time) running BB 10.2 with no Android support, then it's not really an Android app, is it?

I daresay we're splitting hairs and as you say, I am very happy to have it on my Passport, so that's all that really matters.
    05-05-16 12:35 AM
    I understand what you said above (and thank you for posting it), BUT if it was originally downloaded (as Kindle for Blackberry) onto a device that was (at that time) running BB 10.2 with no Android support, then it's not really an Android app, is it?

I daresay we're splitting hairs and as you say, I am very happy to have it on my Passport, so that's all that really matters.
    I intend no disrespect nor argument. Only discussion and hopeful clarification and understanding of terms and concepts that others may benefit. I invite clarification or correction of my own posting should I disseminate inaccurate information - it happens.

That said...

My above speculation in response to cuongtm was based on the assumption the app was downloaded from BBW. If that wasn't the case, then all it can be is a bar file -- the type used on Playbooks - and converted from apks to be BB10 friendly. If that's the case - and I don't know what option is left, then it remains, in essence, an Android app. Also, 10.2 (10.2.0.1791) introduced the ability to run Android on the BB10 OS.

I'm glad you have your device doing what you want it to do. Enjoy your books and reading.
    05-05-16 02:18 AM