Just thought I would start a thread about things the Passport would be ideally suited for compared to your standard format phone.

I will start with the following
    - viewing and editing excel sheets
    - viewing documents in general
    - emailing
    - reading (i.e KOBO or Kindle app)
    - Autocad drawings with Autodesk 360 which I download from 1market and it runs smooth and fast on 10.3

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 03:20 PM
    Would do so much better if the keyboard was a virtual keyboard.
    09-16-14 03:24 PM
    Nah, I like the fact numbers and letters are shown at the same time. I miss the real keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    aminrajabi and acovey like this.
    09-16-14 03:29 PM
    - Remote Desktop
    - Shell (ssh, powershell)

Bring able to use the keyboard for cursor controll in an RDP session would be awesome. Also reading and writing text in a shell session would be great!

These are things that without trackpad functionality or a virtual keyboard obscuring the available screen size - ruins them on current touch screen smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    09-16-14 10:41 PM
    - Remote Desktop
    These are things that without trackpad functionality or a virtual keyboard obscuring the available screen size - ruins them on current touch screen smartphones.
    Yes.

Also, reading research papers...I recently cracked my Kindle DX's eInk screen, am waiting to repair it, just in case the Passport becomes all I need. Not sure. But it's one the first things I will play with.
    09-17-14 06:06 AM
    Would love to take notes on it. Hand written. Maybe if one note is added.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 05:07 PM
    We are close to a new way to handle work orders in my corp....Maximo

Every minute of the day for all staff will be handled and recorded on a workorder, all on a mobile device. These are form fill type applications and need boxes to be filled, could not imagine a better form factor. Staff will be using the camera to scan the barcode on a piece of equipment and up pops the full info and fields to enter performance data. The thought of swiping off screen on the keyboard to find the areas of the form to fill makes me very happy this is coming. The big screen and ease of data entry for the end user will be awesome.

Yes I understand this is a unique function requirement now but this type of in the field data entry by the end user is growing fast. I will be able to in real time issue work orders for staff and they will see it on their devices and interact with them and complete them all without paper.

Try that on a i device after you loose half the screen with a virtual keyboard and fumble around with trying to find specific fields under your finger as you scroll around on the screen.

Functionality of the Passport and things it would excel at???? Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    acovey likes this.
    09-17-14 07:57 PM
    I'm buying it for work but secretly can't wait to use Web Splitter and run two game casts of college football games simultaneously. The screen size should be ideal.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 10:13 PM
    - Remote Desktop
    - Shell (ssh, powershell)

Bring able to use the keyboard for cursor controll in an RDP session would be awesome. Also reading and writing text in a shell session would be great!

Posted via CB10
    The square screen and keyboard make the Passport an excellent device for SSH. I have an SSH app on my Q10, but the screen is too small. I've tried on larger Android devices but it's awkward with a virtual keyboard.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    acovey likes this.
    09-17-14 10:32 PM
    Would do so much better if the keyboard was a virtual keyboard.
    NO I don't think so.in fact I think it would be better with a full physical keyboard and tool belt. BUT it is what it is.
    09-18-14 12:06 AM