Software.
    Oh, you mean the software companies they keep acquiring like Scroon, Secusmart, WatchDox or Good Technology, to name a few?
    08-30-16 11:41 AM
    No I mean the distinctive way to build and merge technologies under the secure umbrella. No one is actually "innovating" on his own in the smartphone area; it's all about (silent) acquisitions and partnerships. Most of those companies were built with the goal of being acquired; that's how innovation goes nowadays (and for a while for apple, Microsoft and so many deep pockets players in IT world).

But anyway - since we're OT - let's wait for Android N "BlakBerry sauce" release, this might be more explicit then.
    08-30-16 11:58 AM
    I have my Passport over a week now. I'm really loving it but the keyboard is taking some getting used to. So this weekend I met up with old friends for a stag (bachelor party). While having a meal I pulled my Passport out to take some photos and the reaction was crazy. "What is that thing" and "I thought BlackBerry were dead" amongst others. My friends are cool and I was surprised at how much they reacted. Two jokers ripped into it. I didn't mind. Though I thought what I read here on CB didn't happen ; other people's posts about people's reactions. I did have the opportunity to chat and discuss BlackBerry and bb10 and the Passport experience to a few of them. They were impressed and believe choice is good!

Posted via CB10
    I had the opposite reaction, while sitting in a bar after a long day a woman looked over at my BlackBerry Passport and wanted to know if I was with the government? I of course told her my name was........Bond.......................James Bond......let the good times roll.
    08-30-16 12:41 PM
    "THere is only one major thing in life that is A MUST. it's called dying! The ONLY reason a not handy handheld mobile device would be considered a must, would be caused by your own insecurity as to what others may think." How bloody true!

Have had similar experience when people saw my Q10. They were amazed by it when the settled down.
    08-30-16 01:41 PM
    I kinda had the idea that my sentence would be misunderstood. I meant to tell him he shouldn't give a Rat's a** about people's opinions of his phone. I'll edit my post.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I mean that sincerely.

It's nearly impossible to get somethings across with just plain type. No emotion,etc.
    I use a lot of sarcasm in my humor and most everyone gets me and The mods have been very generous in telling me that I went a little to far in this or that post and remove it.
    Of course, It took getting a lot of infractions and a few days off to get to that point
    The CrackBerry forum seems to have alway been a little more liberal than the other forums. Now that we've gone cross-platform both have to learn how to best communicate as a team.

When the Priv first made its appearance, I got three infractions in one day., the posts were all in the form of adding some comic relief to the endless and useless bickering , and the Android folks, not getting my "George Carlin ish humor, did what any good mod would have done. I had good conversations with each of the 3 mods and did ask them to reconsider and they did. But, I still got to keep my infractions.
    The mods are trusted to enforce the rules. As members we are trusted to follow those rules and act like adults.
    It's really pretty simple but taking my rant , for example, I tried (spelling not withstanding) to convey my reply in a more adult, positive way and still get the message across. I was sure I'd get tagged for my reply to you, though!

Thanks for having the integrity and taking the time to explain the misunderstanding.

And I hope your rat isn't too traumatized by all this.
    Sairos likes this.
    08-30-16 04:16 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up. I mean that sincerely.

It's nearly impossible to get somethings across with just plain type. No emotion,etc.
    I use a lot of sarcasm in my humor and most everyone gets me and The mods have been very generous in telling me that I went a little to far in this or that post and remove it.
    Of course, It took getting a lot of infractions and a few days off to get to that point
    The CrackBerry forum seems to have alway been a little more liberal than the other forums. Now that we've gone cross-platform both have to learn how to best communicate as a team.

When the Priv first made its appearance, I got three infractions in one day., the posts were all in the form of adding some comic relief to the endless and useless bickering , and the Android folks, not getting my "George Carlin ish humor, did what any good mod would have done. I had good conversations with each of the 3 mods and did ask them to reconsider and they did. But, I still got to keep my infractions.
    The mods are trusted to enforce the rules. As members we are trusted to follow those rules and act like adults.
    It's really pretty simple but taking my rant , for example, I tried (spelling not withstanding) to convey my reply in a more adult, positive way and still get the message across. I was sure I'd get tagged for my reply to you, though!

Thanks for having the integrity and taking the time to explain the misunderstanding.

And I hope your rat isn't too traumatized by all this.
    Same for me, I inject a lot of humor into my posts, sometimes it goes over the line, sometimes its misunderstood xD.. and Yes now that there are many sis sites, we've to care for their feelings

Some people mean good, others mean to just troll without adding something constructive, Fractions helps us understand things more.. We'll get there.. Several Mods here are Gents. They're only doing their job.. They also discuss things which is great, you don't want to be slapped with an infraction without an explanation xD.

My pleasure, Happy to explain mate.. And my rat is alright don't worry, he is one hell of a humor loving rat haha.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-30-16 04:58 PM
    I am going to tell you why BB10 is on death's door and your Passport is considered such an oddity.

This is all TRUE (in my opinion).

First, someone at BB decided that the iPhone was a toy and would never catch on. BB was doing so well, someone there in a position to make a difference refused to put resources on the problem, becauee there was no problem--the same person who thought that the Titanic was unsinkable. I am going to call this nameless person the captain. The captain did not need "marketing." His ship was too great. He was like Boeing or Oskosh. Captain did business in smoke filled, back rooms with caviar and champagne on the table. Captain was initially amused that non corporate types liked his offerings, and fretted that they would be a bunch of whiners and complainers. And they were, for the most part.

Second, like the Titanic, once the captain recognized imminent danger and gave the order to turn, it took several miles for the ship to respond. Someone at BB, maybe the captain, decided that what made the iPhone unique was the slab design,. So they slapped a sheet of glass and a VKB on BBOS, and the screen CLICKED. Meantime, captain, who still pined for his old click wheel, fretted over putting a ball or a motion sensor trackpad on his phones. He GRUDGINGLY considered making a touch screen device. Maybe he had short thumbs and, truly, isn't a BB supposed to be operated with thumbs?

BB decided the slab was ill received, so it went back to its core: PKB devices. Since BB already provided you with everything you need to communicate, apps were, as always, a hacky affair, barely welcome in the app store; initially, there wasn't even a way to pay for/get paid for them. Meanwhile, Android appears and Apple decides "if it is a toy, it will be a GREAT toy," laying apps like bricks, left and right. Googledroid reaches the same conclusion and promises devs the moon. Now, BB just starts looking old and stodgy. Titanic is beginning to turn, but only slightly. Iceberg looms. Captain knows what is going to happen.

BB buys QNX. Generates excitement. The same software that powers nuclear power stations! We will soon have flying cars and dinner will be a pill! Buy a nuclear powered BB! BB makes a new OS and it is GOOD. Starts thinking about how great it would be on a slab phone. Sadly,. the captain can only hold so many things in his head because the alarms are sounding and the band is still playing, and apps are not really considered. He directs the Playbook to be released to make use of QNX and showcase some BB10 ideas, but it is crippled device, released before ti was ready. BB abandons it. BB's reputation goes from the rim to the toilet itself, even among the faithful.

Devs, saddled with a capitalistic need to make a living, are flocking to Android and Apple. BB has a few stalwart devs, and some of them do okay. There are a few BB10 apps. Some really good ones. But, typically, there is this initial difficulty because BB won't release the API/Whatever so they can be headless, so even using the good ones is a PITA. That finally happens but it is too late. The Titanic is not just taking on water, it is sinking.

BOOM. Passport arrives, followed closely by the Classic. Z30 is also in the mix. These are nice devices. NICE. The Passport in particular is a BOLD MOVE. But the app problem has gotten to be insurmountable. So, captain decides, we will allow ANDROID apps to be loaded. Yes! ANDROID. You get BB and Android both! BBANDROID. The best of all worlds. Except, the captain receives unanticipated hostility from Google, so he had to settle for Amazon apps. Amazon is okay. Amazon had free apps every day. Amazon is a little second rate. Just a little. Amazon liked the idea. But Amazon doesn't have all of the apps, and doesn't get all of the updates. And, um, the solution really wasn't perfect; it still isn't perfect. It is a hit and miss kind of thing. Android is not dependable on a BB. Captains of industry scoff when told they need to hunt an old APK file because the "runtime" wasn't current. Employees want to bring their toys to work. And the toys are actually pretty good. The Captains of industry have devs make them apps--their OWN apps. The tech nerds' cries of "this is not a secure solution and I can't administer it" are ignored.

But the captain is not done yet. No, not by a mile. Captain decides "we have some... APPS. YES WE HAVE APPS: hub, contacts, a smart calendar, a cool keyboard. BB WILL BE THE DEV. WHY HAVE I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?!" he says. Oh, but what about the BB 7 and Playbook BB10 devices? Captain has no time for such sentimentality. Because, whatever might be said about naval tradition, this captain needs to keep the shipping company happy, not the passengers. Iceberg sinks ship.

So that's why people think your Passport is an oddity.

Now I may have mixed a metaphor here and there, but the conclusion is both obvious and inescapable: Passport and icebergs don't mix. Secondary conclusion: a party barge offers more enjoyment than a bass boat.
    None could say it better

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 02:09 PM
    @Charlie, from my understanding of your excellent story, John Chen is Rose, and BB10 is Jack (who becomes fish food). The end?

Of course, Rose goes on to have kids called Priv and DTEK50, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahaahahaha :P

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 02:26 PM
    "What is that thing" and "I thought BlackBerry were dead" amongst others.
    Get used to that.

I did have the opportunity to chat and discuss BlackBerry and bb10 and the Passport experience to a few of them. They were impressed and believe choice is good!
    Get used to that, too

The Passport is one of the best phones in the market, but it is not made to be liked by everyone, and it will not serve for all purposes. What can I say? After almost two years with mine I would not change it for any other phone, and I dread the day I might lose it for any reason.

Enjoy Passporting, matey!

From a  Z10 or a  Passport using CB10
    08-31-16 03:04 PM
    When I travel and someone sees me using my Passport, they always ask if I'm Canadian. Then, they say, It makes sense why you would have one of those. Yeah, we believe in quality merch
    08-31-16 04:12 PM
    I have my Passport over a week now. I'm really loving it but the keyboard is taking some getting used to. So this weekend I met up with old friends for a stag (bachelor party). While having a meal I pulled my Passport out to take some photos and the reaction was crazy. "What is that thing" and "I thought BlackBerry were dead" amongst others. My friends are cool and I was surprised at how much they reacted. Two jokers ripped into it. I didn't mind. Though I thought what I read here on CB didn't happen ; other people's posts about people's reactions. I did have the opportunity to chat and discuss BlackBerry and bb10 and the Passport experience to a few of them. They were impressed and believe choice is good!

Posted via CB10
    I always say!
    08-31-16 05:56 PM
    I loved the passport when I owned it!
    08-31-16 09:28 PM
    In my opinion, people will easily relay messages as how they hear others mention it because they heard someone else say it and not have even looked into the topic.

Kind of like a friend hearing from a friend say something about the game and then that friend going and saying it to another because it was something he heard and wanted to participate. I've witnessed this and I'm betting others have.

Hopefully your experiences with your new Passport improve enough to disregard any other comments.

When that same phrase is said to me, I politely say that BlackBerry is not dead. Yes in a transition phase while they still have their hands in tons more software and acquisitions and I hope they continue to make my BlackBerry BB10 devices.

Or something like that, I don't remember. LOL

PassportSQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    08-31-16 09:49 PM
    Nice DiscMan

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 11:43 PM
    A Passport to a modern slab phone is overalls to board shorts.

Overalls convey purpose. They have lots of pockets. They give you freedom of movement. They are capable and honest. They last a long time. They dont require maintenance. People who make and sell board shorts at great profit wear overalls.

Modern slabs are board shorts. They look like pajamas. They come in pretty colors. Their wearers don't know what pockets are for. They are so popular, grown men wear them--initially to, sadly, imitate their kids them later because they like them--while driving their new Yukon with 22 inch "rims" downtown and play Pok�mon go.

When enough people are wearing board shorts, you start to look odd in overalls. People stare from their vantage inside a knee length pair of orange shorts.

It takes a brave soul, confident in his decisions, to gaze on the world of board shorts and boldly proclaim "those are gay" .

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-01-16 08:14 AM

Overalls convey purpose. They have lots of pockets. They give you freedom of movement. They are capable and honest. They last a long time. They dont require maintenance. People who make and sell board shorts at great profit wear overalls.

Modern slabs are board shorts. They look like pajamas. They come in pretty colors. Their wearers don't know what pockets are for. They are so popular, grown men wear them--initially to, sadly, imitate their kids them later because they like them--while driving their new Yukon with 22 inch "rims" downtown and play Pok�mon go.

When enough people are wearing board shorts, you start to look odd in overalls. People stare from their vantage inside a knee length pair of orange shorts.

It takes a brave soul, confident in his decisions, to gaze on the world of board shorts and boldly proclaim "those are gay" .

Sir, a fantastic post. Many thanks, Alex
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 09-02-16 at 05:36 AM.
    09-01-16 08:18 AM

It takes a brave soul, confident in his decisions, to gaze on the world of board shorts from within his overalls and boldly proclaim "those are gay" .

I don't know how to delete this second post or even why it is here. Apologies.

Last edited by CharlieV; 09-01-16 at 08:38 AM.
    09-01-16 08:19 AM
    I don't know people who really know and use BB10 efficiently. So i don't care about their comments, i have tested Win10, Android, iOs... i'm a geek hard GTDoers and i know the pros, the cons and the glitters of all these Os, and BB10 is still a great, fluid, robust and ergonomic OS. The only missing thing is a more efficient Remember app (evernote tagging and reminders integration, exchange tag integration for mail)
    Last edited by TiFr3d; 09-01-16 at 10:43 AM. Reason: adding comments
    09-01-16 08:40 AM
    Outliers always get comments! Remember when we wore normal- or loose- fitting clothes in the 90s? I still have my gigantic cargo skate pants.

One day at the skatepark a couple of years ago, I heard from a guy while finishing my run, "nice tricks, big pants." Yep, when everyone else wears tight jeans, baggy cargo pants gets ya comments.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-16 11:13 AM
    Reaction for me is mixed...mostly laughs and confusion due to the width. I always make a joke calling it the poptart and fire back because the ones saying it's so big typically have a phablet. I do get people that are very interested..especially now with the grey bar issue on iPhone and exploding Samsung Notes. A lot of people are interested in switching. In my line of work...productivity and security are huge and my colleagues have little time for games and pointless apps. If Facebook Inc would fully support BB10 (FB, Whatsapp, Instagram)...I truly think this phone would be a massive win with proper marketing.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-16 11:40 AM
    its ok guys, my wife tells everybody I started using a blackberry again, and tells them that I'm weird like that.
    09-02-16 09:56 PM
    Yeah. So you think my PassPort looks funny? Well, it never fails me, freezes up, has no gray bars, no ridiculous "home" button, and it won't explode in my face or burn my house down. So, no thanks, I'll keep my strange, safe, and immensely productive device.

Yep. A PassPort.
    09-03-16 06:21 AM
    ^ same here

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 06:36 AM
    I had the opposite reaction, while sitting in a bar after a long day a woman looked over at my BlackBerry Passport and wanted to know if I was with the government? I of course told her my name was........Bond.......................James Bond......let the good times roll.
    ..that's cause she was a spy, specifically looking for people in bars with Blackberries. 😃

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    09-03-16 07:17 AM
    I'm going to assume some of the members here are younger, so take a bit of advice from an older member who has raised and supported a family for decades, has his own business, etc.

Ignore people who laugh at you, your phone, your anything. They just don't get the fact that, ultimately, their opinions count for exactly squat and don't move you down the road one inch or improve your life one iota. They'll understand someday.

ratfinkstooley likes this.
    09-03-16 12:20 PM
95 1234