It's not just a data issue. It won't even stay latched onto signal for voice calls... no matter which local carrier I choose.

This is a Passport issue. As I noted, I've been here MANY times recently with Z10 and no issues.

To make matters worse, my wife is with me sporting her new iPhone 6+... and no issues.

Posted via CB10
    Except the bend.
    12-18-14 09:14 AM
    Ya... try telling her that!

Pretty embarrassing trying to stick up for BBRY here when she gets consistent coverage on her iPhone and I don't.

Posted via CB10
    That's so they can spy. Not as easy to spy on BlackBerry so make you drop coverage to get phone that can. Lol
    12-18-14 09:15 AM
    Just to preface that I am not in or have been to HK.

I don't know which network selections you have available, but make sure you have it set so it will use all network technologies available. In other words, you may need to allow it to use 2G or lower. I was noticing my Passport was loosing signal sometimes and I had it set not to use the GSM mode, which I think means EDGE and GPRS. Once I allowed that, I would not loose the data and phone connections in poor service areas. It would just drop use what ever service that was available.

Attachment 321602
    thymaster likes this.
    12-18-14 10:41 AM
    Yes roaming on Tmo. And have tried restarting and hard reboots a multitude of times.

Posted via CB10
    I have just passed through Hong khong roaming on rogers canada and got LTE on my passport.
    Absolutely no problem at the airport (I don't use airport wiFi).

Now I am roaming in Indonesia and have no problem with the Passport.
    Works flawlessly on their 3G network just as my Z10 and Z30 did some time ago.
    thymaster likes this.
    12-18-14 11:57 AM
    Update... seems to have settled down over the last 24 hours. Unlike the first 3 days here... stable coverage without getting bumped off.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:59 PM
    Update... seems to have settled down over the last 24 hours. Unlike the first 3 days here... stable coverage without getting bumped off.

Posted via CB10
    Spoke too soon... service for last couple days back to crap. Error message saying SIM not allowed... but it obviously IS allowed because I do sometimes get intermittent service.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 05:39 PM
    FWIW, I never had to change the setting and was able to connect to Aritel or IDEA (mostly Airtel) while in Chennai and Mumbai with 4G indication showing for network connection. It took a long while though until my PP was able to get a stable connection with 4G on Airtel. As soon as I arrived at Ana International airport in Chennai, IDEA was only signal my PP could connect to and it was on EDGE the whole time.

As soon as I arrived my hotel in about an hour later, it connected to 4G on Airtel. I know that there is no real 4G in India on Airtel and perhaps speed was close enough to H+. With TMO sim, it just read 4G. The interesting part is that my colleague iPhone 5 on TMO read 3G.
    02-25-15 05:38 PM
    If possible unlock it and use a prepaid HK simcard as others have recommended,

service is easy to get in HK and prices are good for service there
    02-25-15 07:03 PM
    I'm so curious how much the bill would be at the end of the month after all that roaming. Would cost a fortune with the carriers in my country (also t-mobile) probably in the hundreds.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:21 PM
    It's not just a data issue. It won't even stay latched onto signal for voice calls... no matter which local carrier I choose.

This is a Passport issue. As I noted, I've been here MANY times recently with Z10 and no issues.

To make matters worse, my wife is with me sporting her new iPhone 6+... and no issues.

Posted via CB10
    Until you figure it out, just take both your Z10 and your Passport. Use the Z10 in Hong Kong if you still have it. The SIM is different, so take an adapter.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:46 PM
    I am on AT&T in the states but will be traveling to Singapore via Hong Kong this weekend (Feb 28). Will also be spending a couple of days in Melbourne and will report on my experience.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:57 PM
    Yo OP

I livei in hk and am using a passport(recently updAted to 3.1), it's working wonders for me(except the screen flicker urrhH) with no hiccups I am on Smartone as the local network, it's 4g almost everywhere I travel (typically along the subway routes)

If you don't mind the bother you can snatch urself a local sim for around 150hkd and you will have a steady connection.

I am not sure which local carrier does t mobile uses but typically the ranking of local are as follows, top being the best:

1. Smartone, 1010, CSL.
    2. Three HK, pccw
    3. China unicom / peoples

The networks on 1&2 are fairly even, the guys at the 3rd is the weaksauce and have limited 4g

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 09:36 PM
    I was visiting HK for week in January. I used PCCW sim and had no problems

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 10:39 PM
38 12