First let me say that I've traveled to Hong Kong at least a dozen times over the past 18 months with a Z10. While I did have data connection issues previously in mainland China, I never had any issues in HK.

Now my first trip with Passport and carrier connections are horrible. Always getting bumped to no service. Even when selecting carrier manually, it will show available 4G service but when I select it will usually say emergency service only.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 04:33 PM
    Are you roaming on TMO? If you are try to restart your phone. I ran into similar issue on my way back via London after 10 days in India. If you are using local SIM, it might still worth a try.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    12-17-14 05:02 PM
    Are you roaming on TMO? If you are try to restart your phone. I ran into similar issue on my way back via London after 10 days in India. If you are using local SIM, it might still worth a try.

Yes roaming on Tmo. And have tried restarting and hard reboots a multitude of times.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:04 PM
    That is strange as it never happened to me like that before. My colleague just roamed in HK last weekend with TMO iPhone without any issues.

I know that you shouldn't have to do this, but you may consider buy a day data pass. I remember my colleague ran into this issue when he went to Bangkok earlier this year. That trick buy a day data pass fixed the issue immediately.

12-17-14 05:12 PM
    It's not just a data issue. It won't even stay latched onto signal for voice calls... no matter which local carrier I choose.

This is a Passport issue. As I noted, I've been here MANY times recently with Z10 and no issues.

To make matters worse, my wife is with me sporting her new iPhone 6+... and no issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:16 PM
    Well hope that it isn't the Passport issue as next year I will be in HK for a few days for business.

Yes, when this issue happened with my colleague he didn't have any signal until he logged in and buy a day pass.

Maybe you can call TMO via Skype or something and see if they can download anything. At least you will have a record and may get a refund on this data pass later on.

I am sure your wife must be smiling silently about the issue.

Anyhow I wish I have a better advice but I have yet been to HK with my Passport to tell if this is phone or something else issue. Good luck.

12-17-14 05:24 PM
    Are you kidding me?! I will be going to HK first week in January for a week.

This better not be the case as I have work to do and need a reliable functioning phone.

I will be using 1010 or is it one2one as my cellphone provider for a week. Try them. They worked great on my z30

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:27 PM
    Are you kidding me?! I will be going to HK first week in January for a week.

This better not be the case as I have work to do and need a reliable functioning phone.

I will be using 1010 or is it one2one as my cellphone provider for a week. Try them. They worked great on my z30

Posted via CB10
    Actually SmarTone HK seems to be most reliable for me. But I still get kicked off several times a day to Emergency Services Only. It does eventually come back but can be quite a while later. And rebooting doesn't help... it just seems to come back or kick me off whenever it pleases.

The other carriers, while they show 4G available are even worse.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:52 PM
    Running a leak or official?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:56 PM
    Running a leak or official?

Posted via CB10
    Stock 10.3.0.738

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 06:03 PM
    I believe the newest software release version is 10.3.0.908. It might not have to do with your issue but I don't think you have the latest OS pushed by BlackBerry.

nah.uhh likes this.
    12-17-14 06:55 PM
    I had to use a Roger's sim to get 908 here in the US. I just bought it off of ebay and it worked like a charm. Used it on my wife's new red PP and worked well again.
    12-17-14 07:02 PM
    It's not just a data issue. It won't even stay latched onto signal for voice calls... no matter which local carrier I choose.

This is a Passport issue. As I noted, I've been here MANY times recently with Z10 and no issues.

To make matters worse, my wife is with me sporting her new iPhone 6+... and no issues.

Posted via CB10
    No its not. I was there last week and no issues. However, I lost connection in Shanghai with my z10.

6 people from our company all with passports and no issue at all.

However next trip will use local sim and pay as you go. Roaming travel packs are ridiculously expensive.

STL100-3 | Rogers | OS10.3.1.xxxx
    12-17-14 07:12 PM
    No its not. I was there last week and no issues. However, I lost connection in Shanghai with my z10.

6 people from our company all with passports and no issue at all.

However next trip will use local sim and pay as you go. Roaming travel packs are ridiculously expensive.

Obviously you're all with different home carriers... so different issues. If you're talking about roaming being expensive then you're obviously not on Tmo USA.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:50 PM
    Guys, went to my travel bag and photographed the service I use. It's reliable in HK.

I know because as you can see, I have used it for my Z30

First time in HK with Passport & it's horrible!-img_20141217_181807.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 08:19 PM
    Obviously you're all with different home carriers... so different issues. If you're talking about roaming being expensive then you're obviously not on Tmo USA.

Posted via CB10
    Yep - with robbers (rogers)

12-17-14 09:27 PM
    Travelling in India and initially had issues. I had it set to 4G,3G&2G selection mode. I realized the problems were more when moving around towns. Switching network mode to 3G (only) solved all my problems.

I used a local IDEA SIM.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 09:38 PM
    I am just back from Shanghai, I had no problem with the Passport. Has AT&T SiM and was connecting to china Mobile. And BBM voice worked perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 10:03 PM
    Haha, this is exactly what I was going to suggest and you beat me to it. I think the phone is confused weather to be on 4G LTE or 4G HSPA. If OP puts it on the 2nd option it will stick to 4G HSPA. I don't think Hong Kong's LTE is ready yet.

Travelling in India and initially had issues. I had it set to 4G,3G&2G selection mode. I realized the problems were more when moving around towns. Switching network mode to 3G (only) solved all my problems.

I used a local IDEA SIM.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:37 AM
    Their local prepaid 4G network can be share through hotspot, I was in HK last month and the network is great. A friendly tips, if you are traveling to HK and plan to buy a prepaid sim card, you can buy it in Sam Sui Po, there has many stalls at the roadside and it cost 1/3 to 1/2 from the retail price.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:47 AM
    I assume that if you are using a local China SIM you should be fine the Passport supports all China Bands and was released in China.

Verizon Z10 on Golan Telecom....?
    12-18-14 07:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    So, the only real reason to buy an iPhone is to have service in Hong Kong? Ha ha!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:55 AM
    Haha, this is exactly what I was going to suggest and you beat me to it. I think the phone is confused weather to be on 4G LTE or 4G HSPA. If OP puts it on the 2nd option it will stick to 4G HSPA. I don't think Hong Kong's LTE is ready yet.
    I should have mentioned... that is the first thing I did... switch to just 4G because no they don't have LTE here yet.

Keep in mind I've been here before... lots of times over more than a decade... with many different BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:59 AM
    So, the only real reason to buy an iPhone is to have service in Hong Kong? Ha ha!

Posted via CB10
    Ya... try telling her that!

Pretty embarrassing trying to stick up for BBRY here when she gets consistent coverage on her iPhone and I don't.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 09:09 AM
    FWIW, I never had to change the setting and was able to connect to Aritel or IDEA (mostly Airtel) while in Chennai and Mumbai with 4G indication showing for network connection. It took a long while though until my PP was able to get a stable connection with 4G on Airtel. As soon as I arrived at Ana International airport in Chennai, IDEA was only signal my PP could connect to and it was on EDGE the whole time.

As soon as I arrived my hotel in about an hour later, it connected to 4G on Airtel. I know that there is no real 4G in India on Airtel and perhaps speed was close enough to H+. With TMO sim, it just read 4G. The interesting part is that my colleague iPhone 5 on TMO read 3G.

I used a local IDEA SIM.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 09:13 AM
38 12