A lengthy Passport review by Engadget has just been posted:

I typed my entire BlackBerry Passport review on the phone's tiny keyboard

Seems pretty balanced at first glance, the Passport is getting some respect!

I'm gonna go read it now...

Posted via CB10
    jdesignz, amanago and maqsbb like this.
    10-30-14 05:32 PM
    tbh, he still knocks the passport, I wasn't impressed with his review.
    10-30-14 05:41 PM
    Nice review!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:46 PM
    I didn't read the whole thing yet, but after going through the text and the conclusions quickly, this seems to be a fair review.

I often miss a little more enthusiasm towards the peculiar shape of the BlackBerry Passport. Most reviewers see it as a negative point but that's not necessarily the reality.
    What I also dislike are statements like the phone is "surprisingly good for a BlackBerry", making it sound as if BlackBerry would only produce useless hardware.

But to come back to the positive, I think Engadget addresses a lot of great aspects of the Passport here and the conclusions seem to be realistic and balanced, leaving the Passport in a good light. In my opinion the rating in points should be a tad higher, but that's just my view.
    10-30-14 05:51 PM
    I like it. He did his homework and still was not afraid to make corrections. That?s rare this days.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    BigAl_BB9900 and dibbis like this.
    10-30-14 05:56 PM
    I thought it was a fair review. It's too bad he had software glitches (maybe he was on an older version of the OS and it didn't update). That's always a shame as there always seems to be some bugs up front that get sorted out within a month or two.

I was surprised when he said you couldn't get Netflix as I had it on mine from Amazon (unless he meant BB World and didn't both checking Amazon?).

Anyways, better than I expected. I've noticed Engadget being a lot more fair as of late across the board (though some one-offs still exist).
    10-30-14 06:11 PM
    Very impressive review. Check out the comments too! Looks like engadget is finally regaining some respect with me and others
    ENGADGET: I typed my entire BlackBerry Passport review on the phone's tiny keyboard-img_20141030_162518.png

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    10-30-14 06:26 PM
    It is a fair review. I don't expect everyone to be a BlackBerry fan. After all, I think I'm among the dying breed who chooses their phone solely for its messaging capability. The Passport's form factor is also not for everyone, and that's perfectly fine.

Just as iPhones are not perfect for every user, why must a BlackBerry be the perfect phone?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-30-14 06:29 PM
    One small thing he talks about is how you can't do strings of numbers with the physical keyboard. That is false, however, because you can if you hold down on the "down arrow key" after initially swiping up to bring up the numbers menu.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque, rarsen and geekaren like this.
    10-30-14 06:29 PM
    One small thing he talks about is how you can't do strings of numbers with the physical keyboard. That is false, however, because you can if you hold down on the "down arrow key" after initially swiping up to bring up the numbers menu.

Posted via CB10
    That's what happens when reviews are done in a few days instead of weeks.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:35 PM
    I had decided to ignore engadget after their juvenile response to FM radio in 10.2.1 and other recent BlackBerry bashing. If their reviewers are starting to be more objective/fair, then I might go back to visiting them.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:57 PM
    The review was fair, but it was unfortunate he had OS issues because people who never used BB10 will consider a one time glitch in a review as a whole system wide bug that affects everyone. There are still haters in the comments, but not as much as we've seen before. If your going to comment be nice. lol.
    10-30-14 08:22 PM
    OS issue is somewhat fair. After the initial setup, (installing multiple android apps, setting up account, let them all load) the Passport suffered some occasional lag. I had to restart my Passport a few times in this period. Maybe the reviewer was experiencing the same lag I saw after the initial setup.

After a couple of hours though, the Passport was flying. Lags are now far and in between.

It is my hope that the review continue to use the device rather than returning to the old OS, and revise or rewrite a review a month from now.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 09:28 PM
    I have used every BB keyboard since the scroll wheel World phones and IMO the Passports is the best by far, followed by the neat Bold 9000 series and then the individual keys on the Curve 83xx's. The track pad and virtual keyboard utility(delete swipes, suggestion swipes, cursor mode, etc) make it in a league of its own for physical KB's.

It does have the longest learning curve though - it took two whole weeks of use before I was comfortable with it, but now after a month or so I can type without looking at it and it is very rare to make any errors.
    10-30-14 09:46 PM
    I read the review interestingly enough on my BlackBerry Passport I thought the review was done fairly and I agreed with a lot of the things he said good and bad. He loved the BlackBerry Hub and how you got work done. The camera is OK but he also said you wouldn't buy this phone for taking pictures. I commend him for writing the first draft on the Passport. I have also started reading more of endgadget since Joshua Topolsky left The Verge that site has just become a Apple Fanboy site not to mention the site is slowly getting cluttered with Ads. I think Nilay Patel is really messing the site up bad.

Posted from my Crackberry 10 App on Blackberry Passport
    10-30-14 11:03 PM
    Killer review. I have newfound respect for Engadget now.

I have to say, he's right about the keybaord. It's a pill of a thing. The traditional 4-row BlackBerry board is so much quicker. That's why I sent back the Passport, despite loving everything else about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 12:28 AM
    The keyboard does take some taking use to and is probably not as good to type with as from the previous phones.. I think even z30 was easier totype on... in fact it was amazing.. the auto correct was so good I could type on that without looking too but I don't feel for the passport.. .yet

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:47 AM
    I thought the review was a fair one and the points made about the size of the device will be an issue for folks with small hands. The one handed operation points where right on.

Being I haven't had a physical keyboard device since first iPhone came out, I found that typing on the passport was a joy and I quickly adapted to the device.

The one thing I have found is that typing using a physical keyboard made me allot more accurate. My typing speed had slowed down a little, but I prefer accuracy over speed any day.
    10-31-14 03:11 AM
    Good and honest review, pretty much sums up my experience with PP.

Agree with the writer that it is not uncommon to type random punctuation marks in the middle of my words because my thumb occasionally hits the virtual keys when I'm actually trying to type letters in the top physical row.

I also experienced frooze during heavy usage that required a restart, but this happens in Z10 as well. I cannot say OS10.3 is rock solid but good improvement over 10.0
    10-31-14 03:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    This device is too advanced for that... ! ;-)

They usually review devices with a single button...

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-31-14 05:43 AM
    When I got the point where he was corrected by a person commenting on his article, I stopped reading. That "APK to BAR" statement is so out of date, I lost respect for the writer. I skipped to the conclusion, and came out of it with a feeling that he didn't spend enough time with the device, which seems to be a common problem with a lot of the reviewers.
    Dave Bourque and thedose like this.
    10-31-14 06:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    He had it for 6 weeks.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:46 AM
    He had it for 6 weeks.

Posted via CB10
    Doubt he actually used it for 5 days. Out of those 6 weeks.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:50 AM
    OS issue is somewhat fair. After the initial setup, (installing multiple android apps, setting up account, let them all load) the Passport suffered some occasional lag. I had to restart my Passport a few times in this period. Maybe the reviewer was experiencing the same lag I saw after the initial setup.

After a couple of hours though, the Passport was flying. Lags are now far and in between.

It is my hope that the review continue to use the device rather than returning to the old OS, and revise or rewrite a review a month from now.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you but here's what I've understood why...

Lag after the setup or first setup can really occur because the os is getting the call and paths of data to be registered as a prefetch. I don't know if prefetching still works in android runtime.

This is kinda hectic but I think BlackBerry will resolve this in the future for better experience.

I could be wrong.
    Just sharin my thoughts.

Hehehe
    10-31-14 08:02 AM
    Very cool title!!
    Really drives the point of the PP.
    10-31-14 08:19 AM
52 123