Hi. I sincerely apologize if this is a duplicate post as I tried searching here and bing.

Among many reasons I got the passport is strong security.

I've given up on android because I do not trust Google with my privacy and dislike their snooping tactics.

My past android phones all had the capability of encrypting the entire device along with the SD card, but this almost always resulted in quite a noticeable reduction of performance, but more importantly, battery life.

Windows phones have no such capability at all at the moment.

For those here that have encrypted their passports along with the sd card can you please share your observations on performance and battery life?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted via CB10
    Plummerdc88 likes this.
    01-24-15 09:52 PM
    Hi. I sincerely apologize if this is a duplicate post as I tried searching here and bing.

Among many reasons I got the passport is strong security.

I've given up on android because I do not trust Google with my privacy and dislike their snooping tactics.

My past android phones all had the capability of encrypting the entire device along with the SD card, but this almost always resulted in quite a noticeable reduction of performance, but more importantly, battery life.

Windows phones have no such capability at all at the moment.

For those here that have encrypted their passports along with the sd card can you please share your observations on performance and battery life?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted via CB10
    I encrypt device and sd on all BB10 devices i have owned, I have never seen an effect on performance. Can't speak to the Passport as i don't own one, but I am confident in saying it will be the same ( have no effect on performance).

My thinking on this is that device encryption is really at the core of BB10. It was built from the ground up for security and performance so the ability to do this is part of its nature. With android it seems like device encryption was added as a feature on top, and the OS clearly wasn't built around security. Which makes me think thats why we see performance and battery life drop after encrypting an android device
    01-24-15 11:27 PM
    Thank you. The afterthought encryption on android devices idea does seem reasonable as it never quite felt like it was truly a part of the core system. I'll be encrypting tonight.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:24 AM
    WP's are encrypted by default, same as iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:48 AM
    It should not affect performance that much. Encryption is basically another language... but more more complexe

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 01:05 AM
    I run the PP fully encrypted incl. the SD card and so far didn't notice any difference in performance and battery life. All still awesome.

FWIW

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:23 AM
    As an aside, I don't believe windows phones are encrypted by default. See this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone...windows_phone/

Also, I think it's impossible to encrypt the SD card on a windows phone (not that many of them come with SD cards anyway).

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 09:57 AM
    What are the main benefits of enabling encryption?

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-25-15 11:25 AM
    As an aside, I don't believe windows phones are encrypted by default. See this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone...windows_phone/

Also, I think it's impossible to encrypt the SD card on a windows phone (not that many of them come with SD cards anyway).

Posted via CB10
    You can only encrypt WP once a company account has been added (company Exchange etc), so there's no way to encrypt it as a regular consumer.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:09 PM
    What are the main benefits of enabling encryption?

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    If you loose your phone and somebody takes your SD card it will be useless to them if it is encrypted. I would assume too it would prevent from hackers if on a wifi, but I don't know about that one since the best way to protect on wifi is VPN

*Z30 STA100-5 10.2.1.2977/3247*
    01-25-15 12:20 PM
    I run the PP fully encrypted incl. the SD card and so far didn't notice any difference in performance and battery life. All still awesome.

FWIW

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I encrypted the Passport from day one in October 2014 and the SD card (128Gbytes) a few weeks ago. I saw no difference in battery life.

However, on a related question, I don't know if that makes it secure to intrusion via WI-FI or through a bluetooth connection with a paired device that has been hacked or simply controlled by others.

I had an interesting experience with the entertainment system of a rented car to which I had paired my passport via bluetooth. I had left the car the night before listening to a piece of music on my phone.
    When I returned the next day, my music player on the phone was not turned on, but the car activated it automatically and started playing the song from where it had stopped the night before.

I have no clue who can access that car's bluetooth or the car itself remotely. But if the car can start apps on my phone.. there is no security!

Just proves how we give up our privacy when we pair with other devices which we do not fully control. I don't even want to think about android apps and other apps that ask for permissions to files and PIN...
    01-25-15 01:48 PM
    Same here. I encrypted the Passport from day one in October 2014 and the SD card (128Gbytes) a few weeks ago. I saw no difference in battery life.

However, on a related question, I don't know if that makes it secure to intrusion via WI-FI or through a bluetooth connection with a paired device that has been hacked or simply controlled by others.

I had an interesting experience with the entertainment system of a rented car to which I had paired my passport via bluetooth. I had left the car the night before listening to a piece of music on my phone.
    When I returned the next day, my music player on the phone was not turned on, but the car activated it automatically and started playing the song from where it had stopped the night before.

I have no clue who can access that car's bluetooth or the car itself remotely. But if the car can start apps on my phone.. there is no security!

Just proves how we give up our privacy when we pair with other devices which we do not fully control. I don't even want to think about android apps and other apps that ask for permissions to files and PIN...
    This sounds weird tho. I believe you, but it's still weird..

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:03 PM

Sorinv - You make a great point about the lack of security in modern smartphones (and thanks for the specific example).

It's mind boggling to me how we have reached the state that we have today where it is expected of us consumers to trust literally dozens, if not the low hundreds, of frequently de-facto anonymous developers with all of our personal information. Even if the developer's intentions are good, I suspect very little of the apps have undergone any sort of security audit. The security holes must be widespread and massive. I blame the Facebook generation for their dismissive attitude towards privacy and willingness to accept this, and a business model pushed by the big players (Google, Apple, Microsoft, even BlackBerry to a lesser extent) that has been developed at least as much for the benefit of the parent company as it has for the consumer.

Thanks for the tips on the encryption though. I will check it out.
    m3mb3rsh1p and BBJonbo like this.
    01-25-15 02:10 PM
    This sounds weird tho. I believe you, but it's still weird..

Posted via CB10
    When you pair via Bluetooth, the barn door is open.

Sent from my Z30 on CB10
    01-25-15 02:41 PM
    When you pair via Bluetooth, the barn door is open.

Sent from my Z30 on CB10
    Yes. But most people are unaware of it because they like the minor comfort.
    I was reluctant in the beginning to pair it but, I said to myself, what the heck let's see how it works.

Then, when I paired it, I saw a list of other devices (phones) that had been connected before to this Volvo in Toronto.
    I realized that someone could log into my phone via the car bluetooth. Still, I did not expect that a BlackBerry device would allow another device to automatically log in without asking for the password again.

But the fact that the car started my music, a day later, was mind blowing!
    I could understand pairing automatically, but since I did not have my music app started, there is no way the car would have started it unless it can do many other things on my phone.

Sorin
    01-25-15 03:47 PM
    WP's are encrypted by default, same as iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    iPhone is definitely *not* encrypted by default. Where did you get this nonsense idea? Most recent iPhone I've owned has been a 5S, and it definitely did not have encryption enabled.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 04:33 PM
    iPhone is definitely *not* encrypted by default. Where did you get this nonsense idea? Most recent iPhone I've owned has been a 5S, and it definitely did not have encryption enabled.

Posted via CB10
    This is a claim by apple themselves, all you need is to have a password enabled
    support.apple.com/en-us/HT202064

Then all you need to do is encrypt backup in itunes

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 04:36 PM
    Lots of great info. Thanks guys. On a sidenote I wish BlackBerry offered screen on time information in the same fashion android does. I am getting roughly the same sot as on my windows m8 and my lumia 1520

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:41 PM
    I'm still confused on what encryption does other than made the SD card unreadable??

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:46 PM
    Just be aware if your phone dies or? Your card will be unreadable in anything else. Re Bluetooth, wouldn't turning on not discoverable keep the door shut?
    01-25-15 07:47 PM
    I'm still confused on what encryption does other than made the SD card unreadable??

Posted via CB10
    Encryption is a way of securing something with a code that is only deciphered via a specific device ect it helps protect your information. For example if you use encrypted two way texting, then only the two devices will be able to see the message not a third device unless there is a backdoor. It keeps data and communication from prying eyes and ears. Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Here is a great article explaining device encryption as well as a quick compare between other OS's

BlackBerry 10 Encryption Comparison to iOS and Android | N4BB
    01-25-15 08:12 PM
    Only 'downside' of encrypting the SD card is is you decide to change phones.

How do you put the encrypted card with your info into your new phone???

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Have decrypt it first.
    01-25-15 08:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's takes time but you need to decrypt it on your device first

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:51 PM
43 12