Never ever
    Using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576

Posted from my monster machine, AKA the passport...
    04-30-15 04:26 AM
    How could we know if this issue has been reported to BlackBerry, anyone?

Posted via CB10
    I can tell you that from the Q10 double-typing issue, which a fair number of Q10 owners experienced - and sent in for warranty repair - Blackberry never formally acknowledged the issue.

I'm fairly certain they will repeat this same "sweep it under the rug" approach with both the Passport and the Classic.

Even though I don't agree with this approach, I understand it from a business perspective. Stay silent, but have a quiet internal policy to repair / replace as necessary. Or, issue a public statement / acknowledgement, and get their already very poor public reputation further tarnished.

If this issue is anything like that of the Q10's, this is a hardware issue, and you need to either replace the keyboard yourself, or send it in for warranty work.

Sorry folks.
    05-01-15 01:58 PM
    My month old AT&T Passport just double-typed the letter a. The solution I think is to have an adjustable keyboard input time setting that restricts double taps within a millisecond time-frame. I know that is a bandaid fix but logical IMO and is probably their cheapest bet.
    thymaster likes this.
    05-01-15 02:40 PM
    No double typing here and I'm pretty hard on my keys. Sorry to hear about your issue. Can you get it fixed under warranty? It's definitely less than a year old. Good luck.
    05-01-15 02:51 PM
    Not me! I type on this thing all day every day. Works great.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 02:53 PM
    Wwoorrkkss aawweessoommee.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 02:54 PM
    Damn, I missed the delivery of my replacement passport today.

Been without it for 4 days and not a happy boy.

Really weird being back on my z10.

Retailer swapped my double typing passport for a brand new unit after BlackBerry told them too.

BlackBerry took a few sets of logs from me over two days before telling me it was a hardware fault.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 03:32 PM
    Double-typing on Passport... is this real? If it is, we should class-action Blackberry for an utter failure. Just as Q10, they need to recall all affected units.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Trauma Surgeon; 05-03-15 at 05:58 AM.
    05-02-15 03:14 AM
    Double-typing on Passport... is this real? If it is, we should class-action Blackberry for an utter failure. Just as Q10, they need to recall all units.

Posted via CB10
    Just as Q10, they wouldn't and say they have heard of this issue. If they really wanted to solve this issue, do you think they would still launch Passport and Classic both also having double type reported. The poll for Q10 double type reaches over 70% of the users having the problem. This is clearly an issue that is very likely to be universal. I clearly cannot see Blackberry is not deliberately trying to let this happen to sell more handsets. After all, replacing a keyboard is very cheap, and getting one user to replace it immediately after the warranty expires is going to cover multiple replacements of multiple users.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-15 07:26 AM
    So I received my replacement passport this morning. Have been hammering out emails and text all day and not a single occurrence of double typing.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-02-15 09:39 AM
    Double-typing on Passport... is this real? If it is, we should class-action Blackberry for an utter failure. Just as Q10, they need to recall all units.

Posted via CB10
    Likely real but fortunately only affects a small percentage of users. I only have a dozen or more friends with either a Q10 or Passport and none have double typing issue. I crank out very lengthy emails, posts and documents on my PP and no double typing. I am sure some are having the problem and it is real. To me it would seem to be hw related since it affects such a small percentage. One would think if it were sw it would affect a higher percentage. Could very well be sw which will make it that much more difficult to debug since it would likely be something installed after the base os. I am particularly hard on pkb and fortunately no double typing. Have likely 60+ Android apps installed. Sorry I don't have any insights on to how to narrow down the cause for those few experiencing it. Hope you figure it out as it must be annoying.
    05-02-15 09:47 AM
    So what is it mechanically, that is actually causing the issue? No has said anything here or shown anything to illustrate the problem.

That would be beneficial you know...

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    05-02-15 10:27 AM
    How could we know if this issue has been reported to BlackBerry, anyone?

Posted via CB10
    Go to passport forums on BlackBerry website & pm to a member named TyW who is a BlackBerry employee & gets you hooked up with some action...

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 10:59 AM
    So what is it mechanically, that is actually causing the issue? No has said anything here or shown anything to illustrate the problem.

That would be beneficial you know...

On the Q10, it was the foil domes under the rubber membrane that were becoming slightly worn, corroded, and in some cases, they had moved slightly out of position.

It was possible to fix, by peeling up the membrane, cleaning the contacts with alcohol, and re-seating / aligning the foil domes optimally.

This is, of course, only for advanced tinkerers.

The Passport and Classic keyboards employ the same design.

Double Typing on Passport?-img_20150502_090240.jpg

On the left, you can see the foil domes I mentioned which have tendency to misalign; some units may have been manufactured slightly out of alignment.

To the right of that, you can see the copper traces the foil domes bridge to register a key press. Cleaning those with alcohol also seems to fix double typing, provided you re-align the domes properly.

The keyboard I'm holding here was restored to perfect functionality after a take-apart/cleaning/alignment.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-02-15 11:07 AM
    I've been seeing the double typing as of late as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 11:16 AM
    On the Q10, it was the foil domes under the rubber membrane that were becoming slightly worn, corroded, and in some cases, they had moved slightly out of position.

It was possible to fix, by peeling up the membrane, cleaning the contacts with alcohol, and re-seating / aligning the foil domes optimally.

This is, of course, only for advanced tinkerers.

The Passport and Classic keyboards employ the same design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150502_090240.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	350660

On the left, you can see the foil domes I mentioned which have tendency to misalign; some units may have been manufactured slightly out of alignment.

To the right of that, you can see the copper traces the foil domes bridge to register a key press. Cleaning those with alcohol also seems to fix double typing, provided you re-align the domes properly.

The keyboard I'm holding here was restored to perfect functionality after a take-apart/cleaning/alignment.

So why won't BlackBerry accept accountability for this and provide the same fix for free to everyone who is experiencing this trouble? That would show they stand behind their product.

05-02-15 01:58 PM
    So why won't BlackBerry accept accountability for this and provide the same fix for free to everyone who is experiencing this trouble? That would show they stand behind their product.

Because they don't. I am very convinced the days of good old reliable BlackBerries with build qualities that last years is no longer the case. RIM is in the past, BlackBerry's management is determined to make short life cycle devices that users have to replace once the warranty is up by making a fragile keyboard and sealed in battery. They are luring old BlackBerry's users with the Classic to replace their good 9900s which lasts forever with the Q10 spec Classic so they would be forced to replace their devices more regularly.

When people say fans and brand loyalty, it is incredibly foolish, because a company will only see you as a customer and try to make as much money off you as possible.

05-02-15 02:23 PM
    Upgraded to PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500 and still no double typing on the day old replacement.

Gotta be hardware v software in my case. Only dropped in once from 2 feet onto tiles while in the hard shell. Not a scratch but maybe dislodged something in the keyboard.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-02-15 02:46 PM
    well, i have noticed, that I have sometimes a double type on vowel, like ee, or ii
    it happens rarely.

and started with 10.3.2.500....
    05-02-15 03:07 PM
    Because they don't. I am very convinced the days of good old reliable BlackBerries with build qualities that last years is no longer the case. RIM is in the past, BlackBerry's management is determined to make short life cycle devices that users have to replace once the warranty is up by making a fragile keyboard and sealed in battery. They are luring old BlackBerry's users with the Classic to replace their good 9900s which lasts forever with the Q10 spec Classic so they would be forced to replace their devices more regularly.

When people say fans and brand loyalty, it is incredibly foolish, because a company will only see you as a customer and try to make as much money off you as possible.

You're certainly not wrong. The new paradigm is phones which are obsolete moments after they are released.

Personally I think not acknowledging the issue is a calculated move. They don't want to make public an issue which many BlackBerry models will never encounter (all touch devices). Doing so will cast doubt on quality in the minds of consumers. For those of you old enough, think of the Ford Gremlin fiasco of the 1970s.

05-02-15 03:33 PM
    Software related. Happened all the time on my Z10. Well documented in the Z10 forums. Check it out!

Posted via my Passport
    05-03-15 05:45 AM
    The double type issue will eventually get worse. Pretty sure it's mechanical. Claim itt as soon you got time

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 05:53 AM

Important point, well made. Sadly Blackberry have forgotten WHY their customers were loyal. Still, they think selling millions of Leaps to India will save their business. I'll stick with Q10 thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:01 AM
    Haha I agree. It's quit disturbing when you think about companies are just out to make money. Being a loyalist and fanboys does not give you extra privileges. At the end of the day you're paying for the product and the company is taking your money. The company does not reward you back for being loyal to them. Begs the question why must fan boys fight to the death with others and when the company doesn't care at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 11:19 PM
    Stop hitting the key twice

Posted via CB10
    Are you joking, or are you that dense?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 12:14 AM
179 ... 34567 ...