Ok, I've followed all the threads on this and have step by step done all that can be done to eliminate and determine if the error is caused by software or hardware.

For those that don't want to read further, I'll state immediately the fault is due to HARDWARE. Read on to determine how I came up to this conclusion and how Digital River took care of me.... yes it went well.

Software:

I wiped my PP and went back to stock. No android apps, nothing that is not BlackBerry software. Basically left the unit pure BlackBerry only. The double type issue was still there.

Tried leaks, still there.

Remember this was a complete wipe and install. So there was no learned words, etc.

Hardware:

The replacement device I noticed had a firmer keypad. It was not harder to press per se, just more solid clicks.

Ran the device stock and it did not have double type.

Loaded back core android apps and there was no double type.

Typing this update for you all and there was no double type.

Restored personal info from old unit and no double type.

Digital River:
    Read all the fears of getting sent bad units and spoke to them about this. Was reassured this was not an issue. Gave them my CC and away we go.

Unit was shipped overnight and upon inspection the unit was perfectly fine. I am anal and the unit was great.

Bottom line:

It's hardware. Those like me before hoping it's software for fear of replacement units, issues with Digital River, etc are only fooling themselves like I was before.

Get the unit replaced and be productive again.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 12:12 PM
    I'm in the process of dealing with BlackBerry for a replacement for my double typing. It's occurs only rarely but always will happen. Mostly M, V, F, but I've seen every letter go double on me at some point or another
    05-21-15 12:26 PM
    Couldn't agree more. My 6 month old passport started double typing after a slight drop.
    My replacement unit doesn't double type.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    05-21-15 12:36 PM
    Those that did go this route and replaced, please share your experience so others won't be scared to.

Especially curious about new keypad tactile feel.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:35 PM
    Guessing that this is covered under the regular warranty? I don't have the problem but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I ask pay monthly for the protection thing that they provide on their site.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:43 PM
    Well that's good. But please explain hardware issues for the Z10 i had or others? It started with OS10.2.1xxx and when i downgraded to an earlier release, it was fine again

Posted via my Passport
    05-21-15 02:33 PM
    You had double type on a Z10?
    andy957 likes this.
    05-21-15 02:49 PM
    Mercury, I can't explain your circumstance regarding the Z10 and can't comment without speculation which I can't back up.

Sorry!

But for PP owners, I'm very sure it's hardware. Even the BlackBerry employee on the phone assured me it is. Again that is based solely on my situation.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    05-21-15 03:07 PM
    Those that did go this route and replaced, please share your experience so others won't be scared to.

Especially curious about new keypad tactile feel.

Posted via CB10
    My new keyboard feels much firmer and it looks like there is better alignment of the keys.

05-21-15 03:31 PM
    Mercury, I can't explain your circumstance regarding the Z10 and can't comment without speculation which I can't back up.

Sorry!

But for PP owners, I'm very sure it's hardware. Even the BlackBerry employee on the phone assured me it is. Again that is based solely on my situation.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry employees asked me to send logs then next day told me it was hardware.

05-21-15 03:32 PM
    The problem is either or, actually. I know of two people personally whose double-typing problems on the Passport were resolved by updating to a higher version of the OS or simply doing a full wipe. I am not casting aspersions on your fix, just saying that it is incorrect to assume that the solution posted here is the be all and end all. Glad your problem is fixed, but ALL options should explored.
    05-21-15 03:56 PM
    This is all great but more than likely it will happen again. It was never resolved on the Q10 and no one's Passport was double typing out of the box when they first got it. Over time I expect it will happen again since BB has never even acknowledged it is a problem.
    moody likes this.
    05-21-15 05:38 PM
    This is just one's person assumptions and perspective. Op if you're so sure it's hardware related can you fix my screen too when then "?", ":" and "." double types constantly. Also can you explain why it isn't affecting my 6 long paragraphs email but only effect the crackberry app, text messaging and the browser app?

Also can you explain why some Z10 or Z30 users are reporting this problem too? It's a mild case with touch screen phones but it's definitely there.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 05:48 PM
    Thymaster

All good points and as I have always attested. There may be exceptions to my case.

Regardless of whether this is a long term fix or not, I am happy for now.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 06:41 PM
    Hi Guys,

I'm curious ... in BB10 for the Passport, similar to how BBOS had for the trackball, is there a keyboard sensitivity listing in the menu's? Very silly question yet I'm curious if not, why didn't BB add this functionality?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-21-15 08:27 PM
    Hi Guys,

I'm curious ... in BB10 for the Passport, similar to how BBOS had for the trackball, is there a keyboard sensitivity listing in the menu's? Very silly question yet I'm curious if not, why didn't BB add this functionality?
    There is no sensitivity setting that I am aware of.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 10:36 PM
    There is no sensitivity setting that I am aware of.

Posted via CB10
    Damn! I'm curious if BB implemented this specific to the Passport due to the hybrid keyboard if changes in sensitivity "would" help at all? Doubtful just hypothesizing here. Damn I want a Passport EVEN with a double-typing issue I'd be so damn happy ... all you ingrates!! (I'm kidding, mostly, but sincerely some don't know how good they have it).
    05-21-15 11:53 PM
    So the solution is, "get a new phone..."
    madman0141 and SteveNoza like this.
    05-22-15 12:26 AM
    Sorry I don't mean to get offensive but I don't want you to spread false hope for people who's dealing with this problem. The only person who owes us an explanation is Blackberry themselves. They need to acknowledge the problem and find a solution immediately. If they had acknowledge the problem with the Q10 in the last two years, we wouldn't have this problem today with the Classic and Passport.

Thymaster

All good points and as I have always attested. There may be exceptions to my case.

Regardless of whether this is a long term fix or not, I am happy for now.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    05-22-15 01:50 AM
    There is NO problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 04:52 AM
    This is just one's person assumptions and perspective. Op if you're so sure it's hardware related can you fix my screen too when then "?", ":" and "." double types constantly. Also can you explain why it isn't affecting my 6 long paragraphs email but only effect the crackberry app, text messaging and the browser app?

Also can you explain why some Z10 or Z30 users are reporting this problem too? It's a mild case with touch screen phones but it's definitely there.

Posted via CB10
    Make that two people's assumptions.

05-22-15 04:57 AM
    Nice job silverbullet. Glad you were able to determine what the issue was with the device. Good job standing up to the folks who want you to explain why their phone still Double Types. Next time be less professional with them and tell them something is wrong with them and then watch. It's funny!
    muntaha likes this.
    05-22-15 06:10 AM
    I also had my device replaced, the new keyboard as you mentioned did feel firmer and just better. The device did have a mark on the silver bezel but not enough to bother me. Did an advanced exchange and they sent me a unit and I sent mine in. No issues and they called and followed up to make sure everything was working before closing the ticket.

After my horrible dealings with them in the past this was a pleasant surprise.
    05-22-15 09:36 AM
    Curious...what happens when you run the BBVE keypad test?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 09:45 AM
    I ran the BBVE tests when I had the defective unit.

Unfortunately the test does not capture the double type issue.

It senses a key press and senses motion on keys as you touch them but does not record double types

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-22-15 10:17 AM
116 123 ...