This goes out to all the new Passport owners out there running 10.3, does Blackberry Assistant work like its supposed to? How does it stack up against Google or Siri?
    09-30-14 09:23 PM
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-30-14 09:31 PM
    It seems to work pretty good. You can say things like "What is happening tomorrow," "What is my day like tomorrow," or "How is tomorrows schedule" and it will tell you what's in your calendar for tomorrow. It excels at these tasks (messaging, calendar, contacts, restaurants, sports, weather) and seems to understand the spoken word just fine. You can pretty much just talk to it although if you get overly sophisticated with what you ask it tends to just default to opening the browser. A lot of questions will get a witty response or some facts from wolfram-alpha in which case it will just respond, but don't expect to hold a conversation with it or call it by any fancy names. It works as a tool not a toy. Also, I've seen in video reviews it is a little slower than Siri and Google. Overall I'd say it works really well though.
    09-30-14 09:56 PM
    Yeah I'm asking for actual real world use not a beta mock up test.
    Last edited by skibnik; 09-30-14 at 10:11 PM.
    09-30-14 09:56 PM
    Yes. It really works. After what was before it shocked the crap out of me.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 09:58 PM
    Yeah I'm asking for actual real world use not a beta mock up test.
    I've used it quite a bit.
    09-30-14 10:02 PM
    Yes. It really works. After what was before it shocked the crap out of me.

Posted via CB10
    Lol thats why I asked the old one is pretty much useless.
    09-30-14 10:15 PM
    I've used it quite a bit.
    Sorry I was referring to pttptppt's link.
    09-30-14 10:18 PM
    09-30-14 10:40 PM
    Siri is able to access wolfram alpha which lets it do some pretty robust things like convert units or tell you how many days there are until christmas (or any specific date you mention). Can the blackberry assistant do that sort of thing at all?
    10-01-14 01:25 AM
    Works very well. Much improved. Thank-you BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 04:08 AM
    But it's slow like hell

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 04:13 AM
    I find it pretty well instantaneous.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:06 AM
    probably depends on Internet connection.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:08 AM
    I've used it and it does the job, altho I'm not a huge fan of these assistants ie siri et Al. One thing I have to say that impressed me the most was the voice dictation, sent a text via voice and I'm a bit under the weather ie coughing and spluttering but damn it, it picked up every single muffled word I said.

Was stunned by how accurate it was.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:28 AM
    I just asked how many days until Christmas, it gave me both visual and voice answer. Also it converted miles into kilometers the same way.

It's pretty good, but it is slower than Siri. I think it does work better than google however.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 10:38 AM
    Blackberry Assistant hits Wolfram Alpha also. I dunno how much it does, but asking "What does the fox say" and it hits it. I've used it a lot after getting on 10.3 especially for creating reminders and events. My only gripe with it is the constant confirmation that it does. For instance, saying "Set my alarm for 6:30 tomorrow morning" *Does its thing* "Do you want to set an alarm for tomorrow morning at 630 with no reoccurence?" "Yes" *Does its thing* "Setting an alarm for tomorrow morning at 630 with no reoccurence" The extra steps to confirm things make it a bit tedious in my opinion. I would rather have the option to turn off the extra confirmations and have it just do it. Of course, if it sends off a text without confirmation then it's on the person if it intercepts a word/phrase different.
    10-01-14 10:54 AM
    It works. It's almost siri like

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 10:58 AM
    Siri is able to access wolfram alpha which lets it do some pretty robust things like convert units or tell you how many days there are until christmas (or any specific date you mention). Can the blackberry assistant do that sort of thing at all?
    It uses wolfram-alpha quite a bit. Pretty much anything that isn't a function of the phone gets deferred to wolfram-alpha which will answer all sorts of questions. Although if you ask an overtly complicated question (or something just straight goofy) it will open the browser and just do an internet search. Don't ask it if it wants to be friends, it won't understand properly. But, it understands just about any normal task or question.
    10-01-14 11:11 AM
    I get some very long emails at times.

Does BA read the complete long email or does it get truncated?
    10-01-14 08:44 PM
    Yes, if you tell it to read the email it will read the whole thing including all the replies and forwards. You have to stop it. It does a pretty good job of reading it properly.
    10-01-14 10:07 PM
    I use the voice assistant for sending text and making calls when it works quite well. It's not as fast as Siri or Google, but for what I need it for, it does the job quite well.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA.
    10-02-14 03:45 AM
    I don't know if this has been answered, but does the assistant work without an internet connection? As far as I'm aware, siri and google now need a network connection even for local tasks. Just curious if BlackBerry assistant works the same way.
    10-02-14 11:50 AM
    Just downloaded 10.3.0.1418 and Blackberry Assistant works as advertised. It is a bit slow on search tasks but for the most part it is really good at voice recognition.

Z30 and loving it on 10.3.0.1418!
    10-11-14 11:34 PM
    It works pretty well on voice commands, but, not so much so with typing. I go to type something and assistant pops up, but, does not recognize what I've written. I can type and have no feedback from the app. Not much of an assist. Universal search was better for written search commands. Much needed refinements coming soon, hopefully. I'm using a Q10, though.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:47 PM
38 12