Don't know about you... but for blackberry to make something 'unique' is very different... this bad boy doesn't look like a tablet a phone or whatever lol,

I'll be curious to see what else they come up with, it's something new to the table. (and im sure all other tech companies sony/nokia/etc are interested in this device.

But i can imagine this being a pain in the a s s to put in your back pocket or something.

Thoughts?
    09-17-14 10:52 AM
    It's new, outside the box and very unique.

But after than come on honestly. Was there that much "design" put into it? It's a square screen with a basic keyboard stuck on it. They didn't even bother to round off the edges.

There was more design work they had to put into 10.3 than the hardware.

Posted via CB10
    earlym likes this.
    09-17-14 10:59 AM
    Yeah,

Very strange design and designs are the "brain-children" of someone's inspiration & intellect. A child who was signed off on by a ton of people involved in it's development. Form follows function is what we all know, but do we really like the emperor's new clothes? I think he's naked.

I think that with a company that already has an image problem, this image (Passport) by make an indelible impression that won't do much positive for the brand and probably garner the same level of criticism and negativity (and laughter) as the BB10 launch. Although there is really nothing to compare it too...there is nothing to compare it too! No point of reference and trusting in Blackberry alone ain't good enough these days. If there were news stories of how a BB10 device was critical in "something or another" or if the most powerful "celebrities" were carrying them, maybe.

What pre launch ads are we seeing. I HOPE WE DON'T SEE ANOTHER DELUSIONAL DUPER BOWL type ad! Nothing "corporatie" or "goverment-ie". Just plain ol consumer-like! Geesh!

Go BB!
    09-17-14 11:18 AM
    With all the negativity the BlackBerry receives some deserved and most not I think expanded marketing of the brand is essential.

Hire the company that did the BASF commercials. Because in reality BlackBerry doesn't make a lot of the products that we buy but they do make a lot of the products we buy and use better.

The average consumer thinks that their Audi is powered by Google because their GPS uses Google Maps. But QNX is the brains behind a lot of automobiles.

Posted via CB10
    earlym likes this.
    09-17-14 11:51 AM
    I think it looks good although you should always wait for the official promo images to judge.

You can never make everyone happy. I also think huge a** home buttons are ugly.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 12:39 PM

But after than come on honestly. Was there that much "design" put into it? It's a square screen with a basic keyboard stuck on it. They didn't even bother to round off the edges.

Posted via CB10
    Basic keyboard? You must have missed the whole touch sensitivity built into it.

All other phones are just rectangular slabs so I guess not much design was put into them either. They must have forgot to round off the edges on the the z3 as well or you know maybe it's just better that way.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 12:42 PM
    Strange ?? I dunno! Different..absolutely! That is why I'm buying it!
    09-17-14 12:47 PM
    With all the negativity the BlackBerry receives some deserved and most not I think expanded marketing of the brand is essential.

Hire the company that did the BASF commercials. Because in reality BlackBerry doesn't make a lot of the products that we buy but they do make a lot of the products we buy and use better.

The average consumer thinks that their Audi is powered by Google because their GPS uses Google Maps. But QNX is the brains behind a lot of automobiles.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is not, never was, and never will be a consumer electronics company. They don't have those big marketing budgets of Apple and Samsung.. Getting into a marketing war with them would be frivolous and fruitless. They need to focus on their strength - The Enterprise.
    The only marketing they need to do is in business publications.
    09-17-14 12:49 PM
    BlackBerry is not, never was, and never will be a consumer electronics company. They don't have those big marketing budgets of Apple and Samsung.. Getting into a marketing war with them would be frivolous and fruitless. They need to focus on their strength - The Enterprise.
    The only marketing they need to do is in business publications.
    I know that they aren't consumer driven but neither is BASF. That is the point. Market your entire portfolio so people stop saying they are going out of business.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why do they NEED to round the corners?

Besides Apple owns rounding.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:24 PM
    I am actually very surprised the corners of the iPhone are exactly the same as previous editions. You think they might make a slight design change. It almost looks dated. If you compare the designs to other flag ship phones. Maybe a bit of radius like the Z10 but iphone just has too much IMHO

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:38 PM
    Basic keyboard? You must have missed the whole touch sensitivity built into it.

All other phones are just rectangular slabs so I guess not much design was put into them either. They must have forgot to round off the edges on the the z3 as well or you know maybe it's just better that way.

Posted via CB10
    Well the keyboard "looks" basic. We all know it's the most advanced kb around, but to the untrained eye it's a square screen with a kb stuck in the bottom of it.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how this as design. A 4 year old could have designed this phone. And just for the record, there isn't much design on those glass slab phones either.

I think more design went into the Z10, Q10, Z30,and Q5 than the Z5 and Passport. Those just look like they built the housing just to hold the units together.

I've seen more creativity coming from our CB forum members and their renders. Given that they don't have to worry about fitting all the internals together but we're talking about design here, not electrical engineering.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:45 PM
    Why do they NEED to round the corners?

Besides Apple owns rounding.

Posted via CB10
    They don't have to but honestly it looks unfinished to me at times. With larger phones maybe slightly rounded corners and edges will make pocketing them more manageable. Avoid rips?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:47 PM
    They don't have to but honestly it looks unfinished to me at times. With larger phones maybe slightly rounded corners and edges will make pocketing them more manageable. Avoid rips?

Posted via CB10
    I ripped my pants on the armrest of a car. It was a very rounded armrest.

I am not sure that the corners of Passport are sharp enough to rip things more than a person with an iPhone with a bad aim.
    09-17-14 02:37 PM
    Strange design can be very good. I-phone was a strange design when first released. VW Beetle was a strange design. Dyson vacuum cleaner.
    What matters though with a strange design is that its well developed. For every strange design that is successful there are just as many good strange designs and more that fail due to under development.
    09-17-14 04:59 PM
    Terrible design. People want something like an iPhone with a keyboard, why not make something that is like an iPhone with a typo on it. Make it slightly wider, maybe as wide as a z30, not what they did. I want to shake the people at BlackBerry while screaming "think people, think!"

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 09:41 PM
    Don't know about you... but for blackberry to make something 'unique' is very different... this bad boy doesn't look like a tablet a phone or whatever lol,

I'll be curious to see what else they come up with, it's something new to the table. (and im sure all other tech companies sony/nokia/etc are interested in this device.

But i can imagine this being a pain in the a s s to put in your back pocket or something.

Thoughts?
    I used to walk around with my PlayBook in my back pocket and also sometimes I carry my kindle in my back pocket. I'm not anticipating any problems here.
    Unless you are a small child.
    Or a leprechaun.
    Or wearing a miniskirt
    Or have super short arms
    Or suffer from PBS in which case, you've never heard of a belt and shuffle around with your jeans around your knees, exposing your underwear to everyone and act like we're the freaks for wearing our jeans the correct way, all the while wondering why you can't get a job any more meaningful than flipping burgers and actually believing that Dr Dre is a poet.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    09-20-14 12:49 AM
    Yeah,

Very strange design and designs are the "brain-children" of someone's inspiration & intellect. A child who was signed off on by a ton of people involved in it's development. Form follows function is what we all know, but do we really like the emperor's new clothes? I think he's naked.

I think that with a company that already has an image problem, this image (Passport) by make an indelible impression that won't do much positive for the brand and probably garner the same level of criticism and negativity (and laughter) as the BB10 launch. Although there is really nothing to compare it too...there is nothing to compare it too! No point of reference and trusting in Blackberry alone ain't good enough these days. If there were news stories of how a BB10 device was critical in "something or another" or if the most powerful "celebrities" were carrying them, maybe.

What pre launch ads are we seeing. I HOPE WE DON'T SEE ANOTHER DELUSIONAL DUPER BOWL type ad! Nothing "corporatie" or "goverment-ie". Just plain ol consumer-like! Geesh!

Go BB!
    I think the recent celebrity leaks show us what happen when the most powerful celebrities DON'T carry a blackberry.

blackberry will power on in some form or another. IBM is still around.

I have a Z30 right now, and I actually can't wait to have a phone that doesn't flip around on me while I'm trying to read in bed or on the couch.

I'm also an avid hiker and I'm looking forward to some weight-saving battery power in a device that will do even better and being a camera and backcountry GPS in one.

and I think I might enjoy ACTUALLY being able to do a little bit of substantial work on my phone. I work with a lot of documents at work. I can already see leaving some of my colleagues in the dust and with their jaws on the floor when I start working with one.

my company has offered me an iPhone on 4 different occasions - I've turned them down each time. I'd rather use my own phone, and when it comes to citing policies, pulling contracts, sourcing notes, and going from meeting to meeting or day-long conferences..... my Z30 has left them faaaaar in the rear view.

and other than the track ball thing from a decade ago.... (a problem I never did have) blackberries basically seem to be made of adamentium. they just don't break.

I'm not really a fan of the phablet. one of our contractors has one and it is a little over-the-top, but the the Passport form factor seems like it will get the benefits of one, without having to talk into something that looks like an Ikea sushi dish.

I'm ready and happy to give it a go. at the very least - I get to support a Canadian brand.

Fido Z30 10.3
    09-23-14 02:04 AM

Thoughts?
    Like the leather cover of the Kindle or the flip cover over the note 3...
    I'd put it into the inside pocket of my jacket.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-23-14 02:38 AM