Hello:

I have received my new Passport, and am having trouble switching over from my Q10. I am using BB Link on my Surface Pro3. It will back up the Q10 fine, but the switching process always fail with the reason: transfer cancelled. I do nothing to cancel the transfer, it does this on its own. It gets to 22% and the Passport then resets the accounts I have associated, but my contacts, etc, won't port over.

Previously with Link, as well as with Desktop manager, this process has always been smooth, so I don't have experience with this not working. I used Link to change from the Bold to the Q10 with no issues (on a different computer though). Link on the Surface is really slow/laggy - just finding the backup file to attempt a switch to the Passport takes a while, and sometimes doesn't load them at all. The Surface is fine, protected, and performs well otherwise.

Both phones are easily visible in Link, so no connection problems.

Is this a known issue, or does anyone have any advice for me? I really don't want to have to manually load all my contacts and calendars over - I've been on the same BB contact list and calendar for years, both are very rich tapestries.

Thanks,
    10-21-14 05:02 PM
    The OS may not be compatible.....

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:24 PM
    What OS? BB10? Or Windows 8?

Neither seems like the right answer - both phones are on BB10, and Windows won't be getting in the way of a file swap on Link.
    10-21-14 05:51 PM
    Anyone? Tried again, same problem.
    10-22-14 10:24 AM
    I know when I did one yesterday, I had to sign into the BBID on the Passport > connect it to Link > select switch device > connect the Q10 > let it do the backup > add the email accounts to the Passport > connect Passport > let it do the device switch > insert the Nano SIM into the Passport and it was good to go (well I had to activate the SIM as the Passport uses a Nano SIM while the Q10 uses a Micro SIM)

Make sure that you are signed into the BBID on the Passport before starting, as I couldn't get the device switch process to work until I did this. If you have done these steps and are still having issues, I'm sorry but I'm not sure how else to help.
    10-22-14 10:36 AM
    I've given up transferring devices using link for a while now. Only ends up causing complex issues with incompatible settings, battery drains and databases. Plus you'll most likely have to re add your accounts (in fact, I believe they suggest you add your online accounts before doing the switch).

Best practice is to keep email, calendar and contacts synced to you gmail/outlook. Alternatively you can manually backup and move over calendar and contacts using apps such as Backup Pro and ContactX.

Password Keeper can now be exported.

Remember is also handled by Backup Pro.

All media can be easily moved by switching the SD card over (but Backup pro can handle on device media as well, although it will take some time).

Whatsapp can also be backed up and restored to the SD card.

SMS is also handled by Backup Pro.

The only killer here (and it really bothers me) is that we cannot backup and transfer over BBM conversations. Some have luck doing an individual backup of only BBM using link, but... it's never worked for me.

So my crappy workaround is to email myself each conversation and store them in a "BBM conversation history" folder in gmail. Can't see them when I switch BBM over to the new device, but I can always search them if I really need to.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:40 AM
    I am using the Passport now, they wouldn't let me take it out of the store without activating the new SIM (Rogers policy). So my BBM list was already there. When I go to do a device switch, I get a notification that the SIM should be in and active before beginning anyway, odd that your process is/was different.

Honestly, all I care about is the calendar and entire contacts list. I'll never be able to do that manually, but I don't see in Link how to break out those items specifically, even in the custom option - in custom, I only get 3 items, and the calendar and contacts will be baked into one of them.

Great phone, but this process is frustrating. I take a lot of calls and just seeing the number means nothing to me, and I'm currently still tied to the Q10 for my calendar notifications/updates.
    10-22-14 10:43 AM
    I had to disable my anti virus software on the pc for it to work for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:08 AM
    AnimalPak200 - There is a way to get the BBM conversation history to transfer to a new device, I just don't remember how to do it. If you search the forums, I know there is at least one thread that describes it in detail. It has something to do with restoring the BBM backup separately and either before the device switch or after, not sure.

6Iron - I got the message about the SIM being in the Passport as well (when it told me to connect the Passport) but I just ignored that as the user that I was doing the switch for needed to have the phone accessible in case a call came through, so I just waited until the device switch was complete to activate the new SIM. Rogers had no problem letting us walk out of the store without activating the new SIM, heck, they didn't even give us a Nano SIM with the Passport, I had to run back out to another location to get the Nano SIM.

As for just needing certain parts of the backup, I know that in the past, when I've had issues restoring a backup, its usually been the media part of the backup that has caused the issue. Try doing a custom backup of the Q10 without the media and then restoring that. Hope that helps.
    10-22-14 11:19 AM
    Worth a try I guess... strange.

I had to disable my anti virus software on the pc for it to work for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:19 AM
    AP200 - thanks for the tips, but I honestly have no interest in doing a workaround - it should function as it should function. I manage 6 different email addresses from the BB, and I have been using the BB calendar for years - not only do I simply want to keep using it, but moving over to a Google calendar, or whatever, will seriously be a monumental task. If I am going to start managing myself with an Outlook calendar, then I'll just move over to a WP to make that easier. The Passport is what kept me with BB, and I'm not going to keep it and suffer tradeoffs like this. There has to be a way to do this properly.

tfp - I bought the phone at a Rogers AD, and the guy was a POS to be honest. Cutting my sentences off with his own garbage and trying to tell me how the world worked. I just glazed over and waited until I could leave - I had waited long enough to find a Passport to buy, so when I found one at his store I just wanted to buy it; having him activate the SIM wasn't really a big deal, him telling me it was Rogers policy didn't concern me. Rogers has a lot of stupid policies, and I had no interest in furthering any kind of conversation with this guy.

The transfer of media is of no concern to me, so I will try again and just cut that part out. The Q10 had a 2GB microSD in it, I bought a 32GB one for the Passport, so I will just manually manage my media.
    10-22-14 11:37 AM
    I hear ya. Try Backup Pro,.. it's worth the price. It can write the backups to an SD card or to a Box account. It even let's you encrypt everything if you're concerned about that.

difficulty switching devices-img_20141022_124807.png

difficulty switching devices-img_20141022_124812.png

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:50 AM
    AnimalPak200 - There is a way to get the BBM conversation history to transfer to a new device, I just don't remember how to do it. If you search the forums, I know there is at least one thread that describes it in detail. It has something to do with restoring the BBM backup separately and either before the device switch or after, not sure.
    I've tried so many different combinations (and orders) of steps, but never seems to work for me. I saw the threads and saw that some could do it,.. which only frustrates me even more!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:56 AM
    Frankly, from personal experience DO USE your pc only!

Cross sync especially during a device switch has the least amount of issues if done on a pc.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-22-14 12:03 PM
    Will be attempting again when I get back to the homestead, on my PC (Surface). Will update accordingly.
    10-22-14 12:14 PM
    Does your Surface Tab not use Outlook already with all your contacts synced? I don't understand how it's a work around to perform that action. If you don't already sync your old BlackBerry with Outlook, you could do that now, then activate that account on your new Passport. Even do it just to get the information on the phone. Then disconnect the accounts. IMO it's just smart device management to have the same contacts and info on all devices used.

CB10 via Passport Swiping
    10-22-14 03:35 PM