Was so glad to get finally back to BB (after years of absence... with Samsung...) and bought a Passport... Received it.

Proudly unboxed it and discover one nice white pixel (stuck or dead ?) on the booting black background, the bottom black cover (beneath the keyboard) is misaligned with the aluminium frame and finally (but it may be normal) a lot of light coming through both lateral sides of the keyboard. No big deal. It's not the end of the world !

But I just would like to know if others have such little issue or another little faulty quality built like these and shall I send it back to seller for exchange or return.

Thanks in advance for your answers or reactions.
    12-08-14 07:50 AM
    I would return it. Keep in mind this phone is a very expensive high-end device and you simply can expect a high level of build quality. I sent back my first Passport because the steelframe had a noticeable "dent" on top besides the power button. It also suffered from quite an amount of random reboots for whatever reason. I know it sucks to send it back, but it is your right doing so. Had to wait no less than three weeks before Amazon had restocked so they could send me another unit. The new one has a much better frame.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 12-08-14 at 08:18 AM.
    LM75 likes this.
    12-08-14 08:03 AM
    I would return it. Keep in mind this phone is a very expensive high-end device and you simply can expect a high level of build quality. I sent back my first Passport because the steelframe had a noticeable "dent" on top besides the power button. It also suffered from quite an amount of random reboots for whatever reason. I know it sucks to send it back, but it is your right doing so. Had to wait no less than three months before Amazon had restocked so they could send me another unit. The new one has a much better frame.
    3 months? Didn't the passport launch Sept 24?

Via CB 10 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-08-14 08:12 AM
    3 months? Didn't the passport launch Sept 24?

Via CB 10 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    Silly me, of course I was talking about weeks. Corrected!

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    12-08-14 08:18 AM
    "Most described dead pixels are actually stuck pixels, recognizable most of the time as a white spot; a dead pixel is one that does not display any of the three subpixels and is characterized by a black off appearance". But I never got a pixel in any pc monitor unstuck using any method, eg special software or "massaging " the pixel. Anyhow, I would exchange it asap.

Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-08-14 08:23 AM
    I would return it. Keep in mind this phone is a very expensive high-end device and you simply can expect a high level of build quality.
    Yes. As much as I love the way the Passport was designed, I wouldn't expect this shoddy build from a pocket calculator. Blackberry needs to do something about it.

Light-bleed and badly machined frames aren't so bad. But, they may just be precursors to the screen coming loose from the body. That's a deal breaker.
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    12-08-14 08:42 AM
    Was so glad to get finally back to BB (after years of absence... with Samsung...) and bought a Passport... Received it.

Proudly unboxed it and discover one nice white pixel (stuck or dead ?) on the booting black background, the bottom black cover (beneath the keyboard) is misaligned with the aluminium frame and finally (but it may be normal) a lot of light coming through both lateral sides of the keyboard. No big deal. It's not the end of the world !

But I just would like to know if others have such little issue or another little faulty quality built like these and shall I send it back to seller for exchange or return.

Thanks in advance for your answers or reactions.
    Almost certainly the new device will have keyboard bleed. Stuck pixels are also relatively common. You may end up with same, more, or less problems with the new device. It's a gamble.

Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-08-14 08:52 AM
    OP, please don't make multiple threads for the same question: http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que.../#post11145611
    12-08-14 02:38 PM
    Sorry... And thanks to all for your kind advices.
    12-08-14 04:04 PM
    I'll send it back and ask for a remplacement unit but how can I be assure that the next one won't be worse...
    12-08-14 04:08 PM
    I'll send it back and ask for a remplacement unit but how can I be assure that the next one won't be worse...
    You can't be sure. I already told you its a gamble. It may be better, the same, or worse.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 04:37 PM
    You can't, that's the gamble with buying stuff. You might end up with a good unit, you might get one which is worse. In the end you can always send it back. Many years ago I bought a Nokia N900 and had to send it back twice before getting an actually good unit. I know somebody how returned his iPhone 5 not less than four times before ending up getting a good one. However keeping your faulty Passport will drive you nuts at some point, if you already start threads at CrackBerry asking for solutions on issues which obviously can't be cured via software, you already reached the point where you should just wrap the device back into the box and give it back!

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and LM75 like this.
    12-09-14 02:23 AM
    Thanks to all. I've just sent it back and asked for a refund. I wanted so much to keep it that I've tried for hours all the different methods to repair the stuck pixels : YouTube, apps, jscreen.com... None of them worked ! Too bad... And now, what to buy ? Which phone on the market is as original, smart and classy as the Passport...
    12-10-14 03:30 PM
    Thanks to all. I've just sent it back and asked for a refund. I wanted so much to keep it that I've tried for hours all the different methods to repair the stuck pixels : YouTube, apps, jscreen.com... None of them worked ! Too bad... And now, what to buy ? Which phone on the market is as original, smart and classy as the Passport...
    "What to buy?"
    The passport of course.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-10-14 06:32 PM
    Why not simply buy a new Passport? Just because you got a bad unit once, doesn't mean you'll get another bad one the next time.
    Even when you buy, let's say an iPhone 6plus, there still is a chance to receive a faulty device.
    Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-11-14 04:58 AM
    Why not simply buy a new Passport? Just because you got a bad unit once, doesn't mean you'll get another bad one the next time.
    Even when you buy, let's say an iPhone 6plus, there still is a chance to receive a faulty device.
    Posted via CB10
    To be honest, there are lot of "bad" Passports around. I have 4 units right now in the house, 2 are brand new that I received in the last 7 days, including one yesterday, the special edition red. 3/4 units have 2 or more hot pixels (bright pixels that are stuck). Out of 9 Passports all together that I've had to date, only one was truly flawless.

I'm extremely detail oriented and to some people these issues will be passable. To some, they won't. For a premium device however I don't expect to have hot pixels on virtually every device I receive. I do look for these and dead pixels intentionally whenever I get a new device by going into a dark room. Most people don't do that. For me it's part of my QC.

Posted via CB10
    PhonePuddin and LM75 like this.
    12-11-14 11:00 AM
    To be honest, there are lot of "bad" Passports around.
    I would have to guess that quality control is going to be one of the biggest obstacles to BlackBerry's comeback tour. We have a very supportive fanbase here, but I cannot envision top industrialists putting up with so many flaws.
    12-11-14 11:33 AM
    To be honest, there are lot of "bad" Passports around. I have 4 units right now in the house, 2 are brand new that I received in the last 7 days, including one yesterday, the special edition red. 3/4 units have 2 or more hot pixels (bright pixels that are stuck). Out of 9 Passports all together that I've had to date, only one was truly flawless.

I'm extremely detail oriented and to some people these issues will be passable. To some, they won't. For a premium device however I don't expect to have hot pixels on virtually every device I receive. I do look for these and dead pixels intentionally whenever I get a new device by going into a dark room. Most people don't do that. For me it's part of my QC.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree, still have white blackberry pearl 8100, using it during downhill skiing, excellent quality, pearl white colour, I also expected passport to be pearl white, paying 500 quality should be a must
    Dead or stuck pixel and frame issue !-img_20141211_204151.jpg

Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-11-14 11:42 AM
    Good return it and order a new one. I think that's the only way you can truly know you received a new phone.

Personally, my Passport is flawless. Only way I see a tiny light bleed from the keyboard is if I tilt the phone and look for it.

Where are you located?

Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-11-14 01:35 PM
    I'm located in France but when I read (on a BB fan's site) so many complains about the poor quality built (and software problems), I'm a bit afraid of ordering again a new one. I'm usually not very lucky at Lottery... And I'm pretty sure that the stuck pixel issue is much more present than it seems... I'm not sure that every one on this forum have tried to examine the screen with a black wallpaper in a dark room. I agree it's not a common use... but try the experience, just to check. And let us know. Thanks.
    12-12-14 07:20 AM
    Checked mine and it doesn't have any stuck pixels, fortunately! As already said, you can have bad luck with virtually any device you order. Personally I have almost everytime bad luck with hardware and electronics, most of the time the first unit I get is faulty and I have to replace it. Doesn't keep me from ordering the device I want.
    Also keep in mind: in every internet forum you most likely see much more reports about problems and issues on a device than you read "everything's fine!" stories. Since people usually post when something is wrong rather than everything is working. Just like the news, which never report nothing has happened, but rather something has happened.

Posted via CB10
    AshokGov and LM75 like this.
    12-12-14 08:13 AM
    Its a gamble. Unfortunately BBRY doesnt have a good quality check and control team to check for defects. There are users who had to go through five or nine phones to find one flawless unit, you can ask Dejnah he is having a nightmare finding a flawless unit.

Issues that are very common:
    - camera focus issue
    -wiggling keyboard keys
    -keyboard light bleeds
    -dead or stuck pixels
    - keyboard keys not properly lit (or dim)
    -loose back cover
    -loose volume key

You will be very luck to find a flawless phone so good luck. Most of us who bought the passport are living with some issues believe it or not. My problem is the wiggling keyboard keys ( P letter, backspace and enter) and keyboard bleed. They dont allow me to return the handset here in kuwait

Posted via CB10
    LM75 likes this.
    12-12-14 08:46 AM