Eeek. I have just dropped my passport. Screen severely shattered (though still works). I have no insurance.

A local repair place has quoted me �160 (inc part, labour and tax) to repair it which converts to $250 USD and 310 CAD.

Does this sound reasonable? If I get there this afternoon to pay, they will order the part in, then call me in on Mon or Tue for the fitting depending when it arrives.

Thanks in anticipation of your views.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 07:13 AM
    Eeek. I have just dropped my passport. Screen severely shattered (though still works). I have no insurance.

A local repair place has quoted me �160 (inc part, labour and tax) to repair it which converts to $250 USD and 310 CAD.

Does this sound reasonable? If I get there this afternoon to pay, they will order the part in, then call me in on Mon or Tue for the fitting depending when it arrives.

Thanks in anticipation of your views.

Posted via CB10
    Check out etradesupply.com

It's what I use to order parts when I do cellular repairs.

Looks like the screen replacement (part alone no shipping/taxes) costs �62.30 for Black and �79.11 for White. Looks like shipping is �15.14 (however that may be wrong since I had to log into my personal account to get that and I'm in Canada)

So using those values you can determine if you believe it will be worth it. I know personally I only charge $40 CAD flat for labour no matter what the work is being done, however your shop may charge more/less and probably by hour.
    shahyaz likes this.
    06-25-15 07:23 AM
    Check out etradesupply.com

It's what I use to order parts when I do cellular repairs.

Looks like the screen replacement (part alone no shipping/taxes) costs �62.30 for Black and �79.11 for White. Looks like shipping is �15.14 (however that may be wrong since I had to log into my personal account to get that and I'm in Canada)

So using those values you can determine if you believe it will be worth it. I know personally I only charge $40 CAD flat for labour no matter what the work is being done, however your shop may charge more/less and probably by hour.
    Kris, thanks for the link! This is great!
    06-25-15 07:29 AM
    I send one to Blackberry for repair and they charged $250 CA for screen replacement.
    06-25-15 11:11 AM
    Thanks guys. I've found another local place who can do for �145 so I shall go with them.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 11:28 AM
    Thanks guys. I've found another local place who can do for �145 so I shall go with them.

Posted via CB10
    Hope it works out well for you

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 02:50 PM
    if you take it apart and sell the parts, you may end up with enough to buy a new one with all the accessories

Someone just claim a broken headphone socket. A girl just had her Passport running so hot the frame melted away not so long ago. Many have broken their Passport SIM cover so that part must be in severe short-supply. Couples of guys have problematic and even dead light/proximity sensor. This one is a small piece but can sell for a lot of cash because I guess no one would make extra for replacement part. Broken mini USB port, faulty key board, battery problem, dead Passport which needs mainboard replacement ... Well, if you go through all the threads on this Passport forum, you'll see that the part values of you screen broken phone is so much that if you sell all the parts and sell them smartly, you may get yourselves two new Passport. I would suggest a red and a black. Lol.

Posted from my Passport
    06-26-15 09:30 AM
    Had I the cashflow to do that, that would be an interesting idea

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 03:22 PM
    Where do you get the white parts? I can only find the screen, what about the keyboard and back

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 08:29 PM
    I ended up ordering a screen myself from etradesupply and taking it to the shop. New screen was fitted on Monday. On thursday the screen stopped working.

What I mean is that the screen is completely black, but the touchscreen still works (when it rings I can answer it by putting my finger where I am used to putting it), the status LED still works, and the keypad lights up.

The place who fitted my new screen say that a replacement is needed, and that they prefer to order it themselves, and let me send the faulty part back to Hong Kong for examination and hopefully refund/replacement.

To the guy who uses etradesupply, are they fairly good w.r.t faulty items?
    07-19-15 05:17 PM