Well, it didn't take much.

my naked caseless passport fell about 2ft face down onto a tile surface.

There was a sickening thud. Much to my surprise, when I picked it up, it looked good.

Then, later in the day, when I tilt the phone on an angle, I can see a hairline crack from the left side all the way across to the right side of the screen on the upper third part.

The good news : everything works great, and you don't really notice it when working on the phone as normal and viewing the screen straight on. In fact, I didn't realize it until many hours later of use.

The bad news : I know its there, and can see it every time I tilt my phone on an angle, or leave it on a table and go to pick it up. Esp when the screen is off.

Yes, yes, I know, "this thread is useless without pics", will post up later.

I had high hopes, but not so reassured any more, for the "Gorilla Glass 3"...............
    10-30-14 05:31 AM
    That sucks OP, perhaps wait till parts come out for the Passport then change the screen or take it to a repair shop and maybe they can fix it for u.

I've dropped mine but luckily no cracks other than a slight chip on the screen at the top left hand corner and some scuffs on the silver bezel.

I've now ordered a hard shell case for the Passport as I don't want to take any chances with dropping the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:55 AM
    these newer glass types only increase the chance of survival.. they aren't totally shatterproof... tile is dense
    10-30-14 06:55 AM
    My condolences.

Hard shell case? What type?
    10-30-14 07:10 AM
    Hard to imagine it happened OP. The passport is not an iphone. Did you see the passport drop test?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:54 AM
    Hard to imagine it happened OP. The passport is not an iphone. Did you see the passport drop test?

Posted via CB10
    Right, he must be lying. You're lying OP, lying! Liar, liar, pants on fire! Did you not see the drop test! The Passport is indestructible. The statistically relevant sample of one unit tossed around by two guys shows you how good the Passport really is, not like an iPhone. Pics or go away!

/Sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD and howarmat like this.
    10-30-14 09:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    There are some real dicks on cb these days...why the mods won't ban these fools is beyond me.

I dropped my Passport and I have a chip at the top left corner of the screen and also a scuff mark on the silver bezel...guess that makes a liar too eh??

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-30-14 09:42 AM
    There are some real dicks on cb these days...why the mods won't ban these fools is beyond me.

I dropped my Passport and I have a chip at the top left corner of the screen and also a scuff mark on the silver bezel...guess that makes a liar too eh??

Posted via CB10
    Yup, you're also a liar. Passport is a tank, right, right?! /Sarcasm

On topic, sorry to hear about the accident. Unfortunately, Gorilla Glass, while better than regular glass in terms of shatter and scratch resistance, isn't immune to it. Any sand (silica) particle will scratch it easily, and if impacted just right, a drop will cause it to crack. The problem with all of those lab tests and more practical drop tests is that they rarely simulate real situations. More often than not when somebody goes to drop something they fumble, and the drop is rarely "flat on the front" or "flat on the back". The device tends to bounce around, or hits a corner, etc. In those instances cracks happen.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-30-14 at 10:44 AM.
    10-30-14 10:32 AM
    Ahhh it's just one of those things I guess. All my BlackBerry 10 devices ie Z10 and Z30 have all been dropped with minor cosmetic damage but they work perfectly fine.

Funny how with old Bold 9000, 9700 and 9900 I never dropped those lol but with the BlackBerry 10 phones, I've dropped each and every single one.

All my phones have always been in a BlackBerry official pouch but seeing as there is no official pouch for the Passport I haven't had it protected. But last night I ordered the official hard shell case as it seems to be the best all round protection at the moment.

As for gorilla glass?? I don't believe in all this gorilla glass hype, it's nice they are using it but if they were just using normal glass then it wouldn't bother me one bit lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:51 AM
    Unfortunately, Gorilla Glass, while better than regular glass in terms of shatter and scratch resistance, isn't immune to it. Any sand (silica) particle will scratch it easily, and if impacted just right, a drop will cause it to crack. The problem with all of those lab tests and more practical drop tests is that they rarely simulate real situations. More often than not when somebody goes to drop something they fumble, and the drop is rarely "flat on the front" or "flat on the back". The device tends to bounce around, or hits a corner, etc. In those instances cracks happen.
    Actually, Gorilla Glass 1 had a Vickers Hardness rating about the same as regular glass (5 or so on the Mohs scale). GG3 is about three times as scratch resistance.

But it came at a cost of fracture toughness, dropping it to 0.66MPa, which I believe is well below a standard window pane. A number of manufacturers make up for this with a screen protector that helps hold the sheet together. It does not seem that BlackBerry followed that philosophy.
    10-30-14 02:00 PM
    Sorry to hear. tile is pretty much the worst thing u can drop ur phone on
    10-30-14 02:04 PM
    My Passport has an improvised pouch now till the black leather case and screen protectors arrive. Been handling it like a baby and always need real protection cause the only phone I've got the screen crashed was a Storm and I hopefully learned my lesson.

CB10 - Passport
    10-30-14 02:12 PM
    Pics please

Hehehe
    10-30-14 02:15 PM
    As promised :

Cracked my Passport screen.-ppcracked.jpg

It's really not as bad as it looks. Just when the screen is off. But it's there. :[ the crack is below the surface, can't feel it and everything works fine on screen.

This was just a simple 2 ft drop on a tile floor face down.

Let me make this clear, I love, love, love my Passport.

Would not hesitate to recommend or buy.

Amazing device.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:49 PM
    That sucks. I remember dropping my galaxy S2 6 days after I bought it and shattering the screen. Was still usable, but I couldn't bear to look at it given the damage.

The good news is the BlackBerry should be much cheaper and easier to fix than the Samsung I had. Probably in the $100 range.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 09:06 PM