Hi all,
    I just received my blackberry passport. In fact this is my first experience with a blackberry device. I just inserted the sim card and now uupdating the OS.

I must say opening up the cover to insert the sim card was a struggle. It was very tight and i was afraid I would break something. Eventually it opened up.

On Tuesday my new micro SDcard will arrive and I must once again try to pry open the cover.

Any tips to ease open the cover? Anyone has this difficulty?

Thanks,
    Cheok
    10-26-14 09:50 PM
    I've noticed this too. All I know is that you're supposed to open it from the little groove in the middle of the top of the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 10:02 PM
    I've noticed this too. All I know is that you're supposed to open it from the little groove in the middle of the top of the device.

Posted via CB10
    Hi, the middle groove is not working too well for me. I have to use my finger tip to pry along the edge to get it open.

Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement if I do break the cover?

Thanks,
    Cheok
    10-26-14 10:40 PM
    Mine is difficult too. However I have opened it about 10 times now for various reasons and either it is getting easier or I am not as cautious as I was in the beginning. No breakage so far.
    10-26-14 10:46 PM
    It's not meant to be opened very often, so that's why it's pretty well stuck on there. I found it helps if you use your thumb to pry on the little notch at the top and use two other fingers to push in right at the bottom of the removable cover (so right above the metallic line). Hasn't broken yet... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:13 PM
    I had trouble as well so I just let my service provider open it for me

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-26-14 11:18 PM
    Don't try pulling, it's hard that way. Insert your figure nail in the groove, then slide it to the left then right, it should come off easy that way. Just like getting the back off the Z30.

Posted using my awesome Passport
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-26-14 11:59 PM
    Ok, so basically the best way to open it is to slide your finger nail into and under (towards the back of the device) the little slot, and then try to lift up (in terms of the device coordinates) a little bit before trying to pull the lid backwards.

You can see why in this close up of the inside of the lid. On the inside of the top side it has four little notches which serve to latch it on to the device. By lifting up a bit, it partially disengages the little notches and makes it easier to pull back.

Cover for sim and memory card hard to open-img_20141027_005608_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:02 AM
    When my new micro sd card comes in tomorrow, i hope it will be the last time I open it.
    If I do break the cover ( touch wood ), can I buy a replacement cover from Blackberry?

Thanks
    10-27-14 07:56 AM
    I don't think you can... I don't think it will break anyways... it's hard to open the first couple times but it really isn't that bad...
    10-27-14 08:22 AM
    I used to use my fingernail too but found the best way to remove back cover (from all models) is to drop by a music store and buy a couple of plastic guitar picks. Slip it into the slot and slide it along the grove. Easy and no marks.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    10-27-14 10:36 AM
    Hi all,
    I just received my blackberry passport. In fact this is my first experience with a blackberry device. I just inserted the sim card and now uupdating the OS.

I must say opening up the cover to insert the sim card was a struggle. It was very tight and i was afraid I would break something. Eventually it opened up.

On Tuesday my new micro SDcard will arrive and I must once again try to pry open the cover.

Thanks,
    Cheok
    It will get easier. Once you've opened it once it's already easier. I had the same issue on all of my Passports. The only additional tip I can give you is to work your nail slowly across once you've started to pry the cover off. That seems to help in opening it with less stress.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:44 AM
    Might seem to be so the first time, but go through that small manual inside the box and it simplifies it alot. Here's what it says jic you didn't read it:

Hook your nail into that small cut in the middle on top of the device, pull the lid towards yourself (assuming you're holding it with the back of the device facing you, of course.) I know it does feel like it'll break, but it doesn't. Or hasn't. Yet. For me.
    10-27-14 11:03 AM
    I went to the AT&T store this morning, two employees could not remove the cover so I came home and got on line and found the solution, Thanks...!

Went back to the store with the cover off; a different employ waited on me, he seemed to be really impressed with the Passport, he played with it before giving it back to me and said "you are ready to roll..!"

I said " you guys are going to be carrying these, AT&T just has to get its ducks in a row." he said " might be."

BTW, I took the book/ manual to the store with me ( in the store they were afraid they were going to break the door and would not have a replacement ), I had not idea it would be so hard to remove. I did read part of it abut removing the panel, did not see this part.
    Last edited by robhenry24; 12-15-14 at 04:31 PM.
    12-15-14 03:17 PM
    My sim cover cracked when removing a Tudia phone case. The case is a tight fit and it grabbed the sim cover, popping it off and cracking it. Where do we get a new cover?
    12-26-14 09:59 AM
    The photo and explanation was perfect!
    11-02-15 02:44 PM
    Use your thumb fingernail and pry it open.

No need to be gentle. You would hurt your thumbnail first before breaking that plastic piece

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 04:29 PM
    Thank you! This finally was the tip that worked for me. It did kind of startle me when the cover flew off, though.

My only other comment is this: most of you obviously don't have manicures to worry about chipping! (I liked the guitar pick idea.)
    01-14-16 09:28 PM
    It won't break. Seriously, your nail would break before it did. It's surprisingly well engineered. No need to be soft with it, get your nail in there and pry away!
    01-14-16 09:38 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Cheok
    Do it bravely! I have opened back cover nearly thousand time but never broken rather it will give you sound and feeling of broken

Posted via Priv...
    01-15-16 04:11 AM
    Well for all you complainers out there if this sim door was so easy to open you all would Bitc H about what a piece of crap this phone is and why can't BB make a top notch phone better!

No all I read in this thread is this sim door so Dam N had to open and ***** about it.

I guess it should just be hanging there!

Wow none of you can ever be happy!
    01-15-16 11:29 AM