Hey guys!

So I've had a Classic now since it came out last year - and I love it - however given its relatively slow speed and occasional lag, as well as the screen space (which I thought wouldn't be an issue, but getting more and more frustrated as time goes on).... I'm considering a Passport.

I also use a laptop for main things like work, etc but that's also slowed down and considering the Passport as the 'daily driver' for everything really...

Bear in mind that I'm not an 'apps' person and completely fine with the usual apps that are BB10 at the moment

Coming from a Classic, is the typing experience better on a Passport? (a big deal breaker for me)

Thanks guys!

Posted via BlackBerry Classic / BBM PIN 2BF3EF46
    09-26-15 06:35 AM
    It's good. But typing is not a one handed thing like most other devices. So keep that in mind.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    RealRichLRead likes this.
    09-26-15 06:40 AM
    It's equal or better than on the Classic, as long as you can stay on the PKB. Having to use the VKB for special characters or symbols always slightly interrupts the typing flow on the PP. It will get better over time, as you practice your PP typing skills, but never become as fluent as on the Classic's PKB.
    Lefty724 and RealRichLRead like this.
    09-26-15 06:54 AM
    You have to get a bit used to the 3-row keyboard. There is a virtual keyboard (1 line always visible when texting) that shows up for the special characters. But I am sure when you want it, you get it!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-26-15 06:57 AM
    I made the switch from a BlackBerry Classic to a Passport SE. No regrets. The keyboard is great and I feel the responsiveness of the Passport KB is better then the Classic. Yes, at times I do wish it had four rows but I can do perfectly fine without the fourth row. I got used to the Passport KB very quick.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:10 AM
    Made the switch from classic to passport: SE. The keyboard is different but I can not go back. The passport is a better experience and I can do more due to the bigger screen and better resolution. Also one should not discount the horsepower of the Passport.

Passport SE 10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 07:44 AM
    IMHO the Classic still offers the overall best keyboard you can find on any BlackBerry, however the new Silver Edition comes close second. That hybrid like 3-row keyboard keeps being the reason why I want to switch back to the Classic every now and then. That impression still exists after many months of Passport experience, I guess my style of typing, the problem of mostly typing German and the way that keyboard works aren't as compatible as they should be.

The keys themselves are a bit mushy IMHO on the original Passport models, they are also harder to press. Longer typing sessions were rather tiring for my hands, which never was a problem with any previous BlackBerry keyboard. Having said that the Passport's original keyboard isn't bad at all, I might sound so negative simply because both the SE and the Classic offer better solutions over an already good solution.

The screen is what more or less keeps me with the Passport all the time. The combination of a large scaled, high-res screen really makes that 1:1 ratio shine. Especially for reading, mails, documents and browsing the web, so everything which involves text is extremely convenient. Besides the UI itself is suddenly so spacious, you'll be surprised by the amount of information you suddenly see in the, otherwise rather cramped, Hub.
    Performance of course is better too, although I thought the difference would be more dramatic. As long as you stick to native apps, the Classic isn't too far behind IMHO.

Last but not least the battery life, which still keeps impressing me, although it seems to have gotten slightly worse with 10.3.2 on the Silver Edition compared to 10.3.1 on the original Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:45 AM
    Awesome device. If the size doesn't bother you then you wont regret it. Try and get the SE. I would also hang ten for a while till after the Priv launches. You might just pick it up for really cheap. People will be dumping BB10 devices soon so maybe look at second hand too.
    09-26-15 08:32 AM
    Just remember, be patient with Passport in the beginning. It takes a while to get used to. The keyboard is touch sensitive and will require some travel but once you're used to it, you'll be typing with breeze.

Give yourself a month at least and don't go back to any other device in that time. Good luck.

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 10:57 AM
    Don't forget the word flicking on the Passport. When you get used to that, you'll be a lot faster.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    09-26-15 11:41 AM
    Thanks all! Definetly sounds like the SE should be the one to get!
    09-26-15 01:14 PM
    09-26-15 01:21 PM
    yep, i would suggest you to try the passport... the power horse and the typing experience are great upgrades... i have both, the OG and the SE... if you are interested, let me know, i want to sell one of them... good luck!

Thanks all! Definetly sounds like the SE should be the one to get!
    09-26-15 01:26 PM
    I started off upgrading my Z30 with a Classic, then eventually switched to the Passport. Only regret is the size factor, but if you can live with that, then the Passport is better than the Classic in almost every way.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 01:30 PM
    Even if you are an ''apps person'' the Passport does well.
    The added power and screen size allow it to run most Android apps much better than previous bb10 phones

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 02:23 PM
    I have 2 z10's, a Z30,a Classic and a Passport. I have used them all A LOT, here, Mexico and in Europe. Have The z10s', Z30 and Classic on Verizon and Passport on AT&T. I do not NEED an extra line on AT&T, but signed up for it month to month so I could try a Passport. The Classic is a lot easier to carry, but other than that, the Passport is a superior phone in almost every respect. Bigger screen of course, but the camera is better, it is faster, and until I loaded it up with the Google Play Store, longer battery life. I hook a mouse into the Passport, and blue tooth a keyboard to it (all of which can also be done on a classic) and I have the equivalent of a mini I Pad with a 128 GB storage card and 32GB on the device. The keyboard on the Passport is superior to the Classic with the swipe technique (sort of duplicating a bit the swipe keyboards on the Z10 and Z30), I find the blue tooth dictation of emails and texts on the Passport superior to the Classic, and the speed and clarity of the screen is superior. All in all, the Passport is the best phone I have ever had (which includes Galaxies, Iphones 5 and 6, Motorola droids, and HTC). The reality is that all of them are great phones and will do the job, but none of them are for business as is a BB.

Your question was about the typing on the Classic v the Passport. Much better on the Passport in my estimation and I use both of them for that all day long. In fact, when I am at my desk at work, I do a lot of email answering on the Passport, rather than switch screens on the computer.

As for the daily driver issue, I went to Europe for a month, took a Passport to which I had backed up my computer. Never needed the Laptop I took, except one day. To do again, leave the I-pad and Laptop at home, take the Passport, a mouse and a blue tooth keyboard from the Ipad and you are in business with a quad core processing computer, that also allows access to your home computer, and in a pinch, it all doubles as a phone! Hard to beat! D
    09-26-15 02:49 PM
    I am currently using a Passport but prior to this was using a Classic for a couple weeks. Just tonight I tried typing on the Classic, and wow was I ever rusty! I guess my thumbs have become lazy and accustomed to the larger keys of the Passport, because I was making a TON of typos on the Classic! The auto correct on the Passport seems to work a whole lot better too.

It's funny though, because before, I was so clumsy typing on the Passport, but now I am pretty darn quick! I guess we simply just get used to whatever we get the most practice on. That's a good thing!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 10:49 PM
    I moved from Classic to Passport last week and love my new device.

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    anischab and RealRichLRead like this.
    09-27-15 10:57 PM
    For me a slider with BB10 would be perfect. SHAME on BB.
    09-28-15 12:46 AM
    I went the other way on this. I came from a SE to a Classic. I absolutely love the OG style of the Classic and the keyboard a lot better than the Passport.

I do notice the SE's horsepower but the Classic isn't too bad.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Classic, but will give another 2 weeks before I make my choice.

Posted via my Classic
    09-28-15 01:26 AM
    I switched from classic two months ago and very enjoy the typing on the passport silver. Love it!

Posted via my lovely SE passport!
    09-28-15 06:05 AM
    I actually went from the Passport to the Classic (and before that the Z30 and Z10). The Passport is my favorite to type on. A big part of that though is the way that it mixes the 'tricks' that a virtual keyboard can provide. There is probably a bigger learning curve coming to it from the Classic than the Z30.

I still use the Passport daily (I like having 2 devices going). The Classic is nice because it is so pocketable but the Passport is a better all around device in every other way. And I can't fault it for not being as portable because the size is also one of its best features. Some people complain about having to use the screen for some of the characters but that's the beauty of it - no more need to press the "alt" key for the common punctuation points, they are all there and ready with one touch. And the swipe down on the keyboard brings up all of the hidden characters. It's a very enjoyable device and still the most "unique" and productive device out there.

There are things that I do on the Passport that I normally would have waited until I got to a computer for. Think of it as more of a mini laptop than just another [oversized] smartphone and you will be very happy with your decision.
    09-28-15 06:21 AM
    I did the opposite and moved to the classic for a few days and had to go back to the Passport as I just couldn't part with the power. The classic just didn't have the power I need for what I need my device to do on a daily basis!

 вιaсĸвεггч� Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.2639 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB 
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 09-28-15 at 02:41 PM.
    09-28-15 01:21 PM
    Don't forget the word flicking on the Passport. When you get used to that, you'll be a lot faster.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    I honestly never use the flicking. By the time I look at the words being predicted, I'm usually done typing the word. Only time I've found myself using it is when I have a brain fart moment and can't think of spelling.
    09-28-15 01:40 PM
    I like the passport much more than my classic

The passport is fast, has an amazing screen that's HUGE and the keyboard is very fast once you get used to it.

But as others have pointed out one handed use is not as easy as the classic.

But overall I would say switching to the Passport is a great upgrade
    09-29-15 04:11 AM
35 12